Show Us Your Home Studio Setup!

taysil11

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I rarely use more than one input at a time, so I'm thinking using the tube pre into the interface could work pretty well. The FireStudio Project is definitely on the top of my list for a new interface. Now I just have to fight that nagging urge to go and get it ASAP. Best to make do with what I have for now. By the way, I checked out the EP on your SoundCloud and really dig your band! The production sounds really good, and, more importantly, the music is sick!

i know what you mean, man. once you find something that seems like it would be the best fit, every day feels like that's exactly what you're missing, hahaha. i hope it works out for you if you grab it!

hey thanks man! much appreciated!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Beachbum4894

Music Producer
Reaction score
Latest Setup! Built a pull out tray for the MIDI keyboard, got a new keyboard and mouse set with a ton of great DAW compatible shortcuts, USB hub for all my USB devices (cause 3 is just not enough) and built an upper shelf for the monitor and laptop screens. Think I'll be sticking with this one for awhile

1454525_10200893028994143_1971138964_n.jpg

KwameDude

Reaction score
First post here!
But here is my current setup. nothing crazy.
Hp Omni 120 all in one desk top
Pod Studio Ux2
Mackie Mr5mk2 Monitors
Shure Sm7b (not in photo)
Audio Technica At2020
I no longer have the m-audio av30s

As for guitars I have:
Agile Septor 727
Esp Ltd H-330nt
Douglas Spad
Squire Vintage Modified jazz bass

but this setup wont look like this much longer, moving into a new studio space within the next month and getting $7k in upgrades by the end of the year

1052748_541733995863823_1160520316_o.jpg

Tirmu

Reaction score
Here's my main desk, some of the stuff is out of the picture but this is where the magic happens :)

studio1_copy_valooo.jpg

redskyharbor

Despises crabcore.
Reaction score
Just my observation... I see masses of wonderful and expensive gear being run through less than average monitors in a lot of cases, which is pretty much the one area where you can't afford to skimp if you're serious about recording. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of these setups and most of them are far superior to my own but I don't understand how what I think is the most crucial part of the signal chain takes less priority over things like Axe-Fx's and fancy expensive guitars. I mean what's the point in spending the money on it if you're not going to be able to use it to it's full potential? :2c:

I can see the negative rep coming already. :lol:

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Just my observation... I see masses of wonderful and expensive gear being run through less than average monitors in a lot of cases, which is pretty much the one area where you can't afford to skimp if you're serious about recording. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of these setups and most of them are far superior to my own but I don't understand how what I think is the most crucial part of the signal chain takes less priority over things like Axe-Fx's and fancy expensive guitars. I mean what's the point in spending the money on it if you're not going to be able to use it to it's full potential? :2c:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, since there's a lot of bedroom studios in here, a lot of people are dealing with spaces that are less than acoustically ideal anyway and b) doing a good chunk of their work on headphones because of that fact.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
I wouldn't call guitars/axe fx less essential than monitors, people tour with them as well, monitors stay at home, they're probably not doing professional mixes anyways, just demoing and getting down ideas.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, since there's a lot of bedroom studios in here, a lot of people are dealing with spaces that are less than acoustically ideal anyway and b) doing a good chunk of their work on headphones because of that fact.

That's certainly my situation. I recently picked up some JBL LSR308's, which are decent but intro level monitors. My room isn't terrible acoustically, but realistically, it's a bedroom in an apartment in NYC. I rent, so I can't really even do any hardcore treatment. If I spent thousands of dollars on high end monitors, I'd feel like I was wasting them. Even the 308's are probably overkill.

I have other high end gear though (not an Axe-Fx yet, but soon...) and don't feel bad about it. A lot of it is about enabling creativity by removing impediments and putting the tones I want right at my fingertips (easy playing guitars, amps/modellers/pedals/software). To me, that's a big part of the point of having a home studio. I want to be able to write and record demos with maximum convenience. If the input signal chain is clean and I capture a DI of a good performance, I can always take that to a proper studio and re-amp and mix on pro gear. So my monitors don't need to be perfect; they just need to give me clear enough feedback as I'm playing that I can track properly.

Tirmu

Reaction score

I know what you're saying. I've seen many pics of home studios we're people have nice outboard and all and then a pair of Rokit's... makes me feel sad

And then there's the ones that have decent monitors placed like shit!

flint757

Reaction score
My intention was to get better monitors for myself recently, as I have Rokits RP8 G2's, but my living space is temporary and as such I don't intend on putting anymore room treatment up. If I move it may not fit or work and I don't feel like wasting the money. When I move into a more permanent setup I'll probably make more traps and buy better monitors, but currently the ROI is too low. I can easily afford it, just not worth it atm. That being said, they sound awesome and translate well enough for me, especially since I've put up some foam and huge corner bass traps up.

So no reason for you to feel sad. :lol:

I too have seen quite a few poorly placed monitors in this thread though, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Most people just don't have a space conducive to perfect monitor placement.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I too have seen quite a few poorly placed monitors in this thread though, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Most people just don't have a space conducive to perfect monitor placement.

You mean your space isn't a perfect rectangle with no doors or windows like on all the acoustic treatment websites?! :scratch: :lol:

DiegusMaximus32

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
Awesome space Tirmu! I would love to make some music with a setup like that. Here's my humble space in my new apartment.

IMG_0771.jpg

I like it because I can switch being playing along to tracks through the monitors, or switch to the output through the Matrix and into my Port City cabinet.

')