Show Us Your Home Studio Setup!

Beachbum4894

Music Producer
Reaction score
Nice setup redwng1! But honestly looks kinda cramped, if it was mine I'd spread those larger monitors out farther on the stands, if the room permits.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

redwng1

Reaction score
Nice setup redwng1! But honestly looks kinda cramped, if it was mine I'd spread those larger monitors out farther on the stands, if the room permits.

I totally would if I could. If you notice, the left Monitor is right at the edge of the door, so I would be hard pressed to move it out any further for fear of running into it. Looking for a bigger house so I can have a music room :hbang:

Beachbum4894

Music Producer
Reaction score
I totally would if I could. If you notice, the left Monitor is right at the edge of the door, so I would be hard pressed to move it out any further for fear of running into it. Looking for a bigger house so I can have a music room :hbang:
Is there maybe a better spot in the room for the whole setup?

redwng1

Reaction score
Is there maybe a better spot in the room for the whole setup?
I wish, I only get to use half that room as it is my daughters room when she comes over on the weekends...that is why I am on the look out for a bigger house. Just hesitant to sell right now with this market. :nono:

So I make due with the space I have.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Had to buy a side car rack, since my desktop rack can no longer support all the preamps I have...

IMG_1617_zps53d9c64f.jpg

IMG_1619_zps2dc8862d.jpg

Need to get the casters for it now, that thing is a bitch to move, and it's not even fully loaded yet!

P.S. Sellin the ISA 428 MKI to pay for tuition next semester, if anyone's interested. Would make a lovely Christmas gift to yourself :p

Eclipse

Reaction score
My humble setup thus far includes:
Studio RTA Producer Station (the desk!)
Axe-Fx II
Pair of KRK Rokit 8 G2 Monitors
Samsung TV Monitor
Custom built computer!
There is an iPad on the desk too haha.
Also some pedals and stuffs!

tumblr_mxxm0gQzyN1rm525xo3_400.jpg

tumblr_mxxm0gQzyN1rm525xo1_400.jpg

tumblr_mxxm0gQzyN1rm525xo2_400.jpg

My two favorite guitars I currently own. Top one is my Schecter Hellraiser C7 with EMG 707's. :eek:

On the bottom we have a pretty cool Gibson Les Paul. It's quite the axe! :agreed:

KwameDude

Reaction score
My humble setup thus far includes:
Studio RTA Producer Station (the desk!)
Axe-Fx II
Pair of KRK Rokit 8 G2 Monitors
Samsung TV Monitor
Custom built computer!
There is an iPad on the desk too haha.
Also some pedals and stuffs!

tumblr_mxxm0gQzyN1rm525xo3_400.jpg

tumblr_mxxm0gQzyN1rm525xo1_400.jpg

tumblr_mxxm0gQzyN1rm525xo2_400.jpg

My two favorite guitars I currently own. Top one is my Schecter Hellraiser C7 with EMG 707's. :eek:

On the bottom we have a pretty cool Gibson Les Paul. It's quite the axe! :agreed:

awesome looking set up! what size is that tv?

Reaction score
this is my homestudio, i'm about to move to the basement to have my own independent room and that one i'm going to treat acousticly and i'm going to build a patchbay in the wall to my tracking room there
more pics of that will be up asap!

gear:
behringer mx8000
pod hd pro
behringer patchbay
focusrite liquid 56
krk rokit 5

mics:
Shure sm57
shure sm7b
tbone sc600

next purchase:
shure drum mic set

metalmonster

Reaction score
Guys, i have a question for you : i have this M-audio 88 key controller keyboard, but it's only 4" wide (and 88 keys long), so it does not really fits on my X-shaped keyboard stand ... it's not stable, it looks sleazy, i hate it that way, so bad i just put my keyboard against the wall, waiting for me to find a good-looking, cheap, and space-saving solution for it.

So here's my question : what would be a good way to hold a long-but-not-wide keyboard, other than these crappy "stage" stands ? my desk consists of a pretty stylish "basic ikea wooden table" , and i want to be able to put my legs underneath it while putting the KB in front of the "desk" ! i was thinking adjustable-height bar stools , but that is expensive ...

Off-topic :

as for the monitor talk : my studio is actually next to my kitchen, and i plan a lot more on decent headphones (can't decide between beyerdynamic DT990 which i adore the looks but don't know much about/very expensive or other ones. I know i dislike the AKGs because the "hey look at my golden AKG" makes me feel they're not for me, as i prefer much sober-looking gear, and i know "cool looks" "high-end" "lasts for decades" and "70 bucks for headphones" aren't to put in the same sentence. )

NickLAudio

Reaction score
Guys, i have a question for you : i have this M-audio 88 key controller keyboard, but it's only 4" wide (and 88 keys long), so it does not really fits on my X-shaped keyboard stand ... it's not stable, it looks sleazy, i hate it that way, so bad i just put my keyboard against the wall, waiting for me to find a good-looking, cheap, and space-saving solution for it.

So here's my question : what would be a good way to hold a long-but-not-wide keyboard, other than these crappy "stage" stands ? my desk consists of a pretty stylish "basic ikea wooden table" , and i want to be able to put my legs underneath it while putting the KB in front of the "desk" ! i was thinking adjustable-height bar stools , but that is expensive ...

Off-topic :

as for the monitor talk : my studio is actually next to my kitchen, and i plan a lot more on decent headphones (can't decide between beyerdynamic DT990 which i adore the looks but don't know much about/very expensive or other ones. I know i dislike the AKGs because the "hey look at my golden AKG" makes me feel they're not for me, as i prefer much sober-looking gear, and i know "cool looks" "high-end" "lasts for decades" and "70 bucks for headphones" aren't to put in the same sentence. )

I had the same problem with my M-Audio keyboard. Wasn't heavy enough to sit flush on my "x-stand". It just sat there all tilted and would knock over with the slightest push. I prefer the keyboard right in front of me so I put it on my table above the computer keyboard shown in my pics above. If you have the room to do so I suggest doing it like that. If not you can always find some scrap wood and make your own stand for extremely cheap. Paint it black or something ya know lol.

As for headphones.

If you plan on using them for mixing I highly advise not to. Tracking/recording with them is perfectly fine, but you just don't get the full spectrum of what's going on in your mix with them on when you mix. If noise is really a problem and you NEED to mix with headphones on, don't be surprised when your mix sounds completely different on speakers. That is because you made mixing decisions based on what you heard in the headphones and not what was really going on in the mix. Studio monitors are your friend here.

That being said...you can find a bunch of headphones suited for recording/tracking around $50, sometimes cheaper, that will be crystal clear and help you get basic levels. Price and brand really aren't important unless you're a super audiophile geek or something lol.

Good luck and have fun!:hbang:

flint757

Reaction score
That's not true if you buy good headphones. In fact it'd be more accurate than speakers as you don't introduce bass nodes, standing waves, slap back, echo, noise cancellation, etc. that is present in most home studios without proper room treatment (to varying degrees). Personally I think with good headphones you can get an even better idea on how the sounds are laid out in the audio spectrum. My AKG Q701 headphones ,~$250, sound just as accurate and good as my KRK RP8 G2's in my semi-treated room.

If it wasn't treated or my room was oriented a different way the headphones would sound better than my studio monitors.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Mixing on headphones (or monitors or anything else for that matter) is fine as long as you take the time to learn the sonic qualities of what it is you're mixing on. If you know what a good mix sounds like on your headphones, you're off to a good start. If you mix on your headphones, then take that mix and listen to it on other sources (other speakers, car, etc.) then you're golden.

I'd trust a mix from someone that used headphones but knows their equipment and checks their mixes on other stuff over someone that's mixing on high end monitors but doesn't have either of those other qualifiers any day.

NickLAudio

Reaction score
^Yes. If you mix on headphones, checking other playback systems for mistakes is key. Flint757, those 701s are really great sounding for mixing. Very accurate compared to others and they don't "hype" up the sound.

metalmonster

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my M-Audio keyboard. Wasn't heavy enough to sit flush on my "x-stand". It just sat there all tilted and would knock over with the slightest push. I prefer the keyboard right in front of me so I put it on my table above the computer keyboard shown in my pics above. If you have the room to do so I suggest doing it like that. If not you can always find some scrap wood and make your own stand for extremely cheap. Paint it black or something ya know lol.
Yeah, that's exactly my problem ... well, as a laptop user, it makes things complicated, since i use the laptop's keyboard ... so ... i don't know. cool studio btw.

I believe i can fix something with wood, tons and tons of glue, screws and a lil' paint, yeah :cool:

well for the headphones, i already got some superlux ones that aren't too crappy... and supercheap. I'll just read a lot of technical information on these and figure out this. Though i'm already sold to the beyerdynamic, because they look comfy, and they seem to be pretty decent for studio-ish headphone.

Though i plain know i'll need monitors anyway. I need both actually, but that's so much money to spend :ugh:

')