Show Us Your Home Studio Setup!

4Eyes

Reaction score
all of my recordings on my SC were mixed on headphones (ultrasone pro2900). I believe that learning to listen how good mix sounds on your headphones, checking it on other audio sources and knowing what and how to do it are sonic keys for getting good results with headphones.

I think that with headphones you have to rely more on the visual meters as you would do when mixing on monitors, but as far as you can get good results nobody will care.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalmonster

Reaction score
n fact it'd be more accurate than speakers as you don't introduce bass nodes, standing waves, slap back, echo, noise cancellation, etc. that is present in most home studios without proper room treatment (to varying degrees)

I have this book, "guerilla home studio" that says the exact same thing (book that i recommend to any person who has to work with old/weird gear in non-treated spaces).

I really had put some thought into this, i think i'll go for very good headphones, but good monitors are needed (and i'll get them), but i have to keep their size/power down, since i have not much room, and since my acoustics just plain stink.

ultrasone pro2900
woah !
I believe that learning to listen how good mix sounds on your headphones, checking it on other audio sources and knowing what and how to do it are sonic keys for getting good results with headphones.
the more i learn about recording and making music in general, the more i approach this kind of conclusions : you have to listen to your gear and know it well, and get a lot of knowledge on the topic. And yeah, listen to your mix in a variety of systems.

as far as you can get good results nobody will care.
This statement is so true. For instance, POD or "real" amp, nobody cares if it sounds good. Or if you used that software or another, a mac or PC ... as long as the results are here. I believe it's all down to good ol' practise.

Anyway, thank you all for the answers and opinions :) I'm off for some coffee now, someone wants a cup ? :wavey:

KwameDude

Reaction score
got a few new things and a few things on the way

I've switched rooms since my first post

but the additions are:
32" HDTV
Ibanez Rg8
20131227_142604.jpg

Other guitars:
Esp Ltd H330nt
Douglas Spad (in the process of re finishing it)
Ibanez Rg7321 (also in the process of refinishing it)
Random flea market acoustic
20131227_142618.jpg

As of just a few moments ago I ordered a new desk,monitor stands and a new interface (focusrite scarlett 18i20) and a few other small things. I'll post another update once the new stuff arrives

MemphisHawk

Reaction score
Here's my setup. I have the drums mic'd differently now and there are more cymbals as well. The guitar cabinets and heads are off to the right (have to track down a pic, but you can see some in the drum overhead shot) and in a closet as well. I'm running PreSonus Firewire 10x10 for now for multi tracking the drums.. I'd like to get another one for when there are enough people together to record live. Yamaha HS-8 Monitors for sound, which I love! There's a lot of time and money in here and it doesn't really show, haha. I don't know how those big studios find time for all the shit that has to be done.

1523305_10152076949135708_1189410433_o.jpg

1498861_10152088048685708_262449250_o.jpg

Here I am hard at work as pictured by my wife.

978020_10151706491635708_1030336739_o.jpg

Edit : here's some cabinets, don't know where the heads are in this shot.

DSC_5244_zpsb4ecffff.jpg

AlexThorpe

Reaction score
Finally getting my studio set up after a move! Still needs a few things (Next step is paint, then some acoustic treatment) but so far I'm liking this setup a lot more then my last one. Room is almost twice as big!

LFAuhRfl.jpg

kapGH7ol.jpg

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I changed mine a bit and it's actually a tad different from what's in the pic now as well. The AxeFX is now a Kemper and the monitors have been moved (soon to be wall mounted)

konfyouzd-albums-random-shit-picture8649-studio.jpg

As you guys can see, my keyboard IS my desk... Do you all know of a decent clip on keyboard I could mount to the bottom of this bad boy so I can slide the computer keyboard under the musical one when not in use? Right now I just have it on the floor next to the CPU and I pick it up and lay it across the musical keyboard to type...

I already know of a few decent mouse pad mounts I can use... I'd prefer that the mouse pad be mounted a bit higher on the right above the [musical] keyboard speakers.

NickLAudio

Reaction score
I changed mine a bit and it's actually a tad different from what's in the pic now as well. The AxeFX is now a Kemper and the monitors have been moved (soon to be wall mounted)

As you guys can see, my keyboard IS my desk... Do you all know of a decent clip on keyboard I could mount to the bottom of this bad boy so I can slide the computer keyboard under the musical one when not in use? Right now I just have it on the floor next to the CPU and I pick it up and lay it across the musical keyboard to type...

I already know of a few decent mouse pad mounts I can use... I'd prefer that the mouse pad be mounted a bit higher on the right above the [musical] keyboard speakers.

I dig the setup man! If you type in "sliding keyboard tray" in google, there are tons of them. Anywhere from $10-$50 and above. :hbang:

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I got some wall hangers for christmas. So damn convenient. Clean looking too.

17wutia.jpg

One I find a better place for the bass, I'll be able to turn my radiator back on, yay.

Syriel

owns a .strandberg*
Reaction score
My current setup :
Desk
Bcnza6GCEAA4yf_.jpg:large

iMac 2010
Logic Pro X
Behringer Xenyx Control 1 USB
M-Audio AV30
M-Audio KeyStudio
Canare Cables
Red bird and Asuka Langley in bikini for the toans.

The guitars ( minus a Yamaha Acoustic )
Bcnz_ZNCYAAasSA.jpg:large

Ibanez RGD2127z
GrassRoots G-T-80BD Tetsuya Model
Carvin HH2X Allan Holdsworth Model

And it's missing a picture of the Pod HD 500 which is placed underneath desk. Not much, but it's getting there.

The Pod will be replaced by an Axe FX II soon, and probably gonna add a pair of Event 2030s. I also need a bunch of VSTs, and may switch to Pro Tools as our school uses it.

Stephen

Collibus/Scar Symmetry/Ex-Devin Townsend
Reaction score
Here is my old Music Room, was technically the living room at the time but I sort of took over hahaha/

1403104_10152043995670535_125575333_o.jpg

But here is the current one now...

960136_10152127286665535_929768184_n.jpg

All the amps and stuff are at the back of me now though. My flatmate moved out so thought I'd make use of his room, now I have a living room again :)

themightybenja

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been using guitar pro for years to jot down my ideas, but it's time to start recording for real. I'm a total nube with recording and the like, and I'm a poor college kid so I'm looking for the most bang for your buck product, for PC. Advice much appreciated. I couldn't find a discussion regarding this question specifically so if you guys know where this discussion has taken place, please redirect me.

My Gear:

-Ibanez 8 string RGIR28FEBK. That is, it's an Ibanez 8 string with EMGs.
-PRS se Paul Allender (bought it for the EMGs, not cuz I'm a fan of Allender)
-A small, old, VOX amp which is starting to wear down a bit
-Digitech rp255 effect pedal
-A beat up old keyboard which I hope to extract from my parents' attic soon.
-Years of music theory, seasoned and honed ears, and enough motivation to choke a horse! :squint:

-Cheers

Given To Fly

Reaction score
But here is the current one now...

960136_10152127286665535_929768184_n.jpg

All the amps and stuff are at the back of me now though. My flatmate moved out so thought I'd make use of his room, now I have a living room again :)

What studio monitors are those? I want to say Yamaha's and Adam's of some variety. Actually, you might as well just list everything in your recording setup. :yesway:

Aris_T

Reaction score
What studio monitors are those? I want to say Yamaha's and Adam's of some variety. Actually, you might as well just list everything in your recording setup. :yesway:

Looks like yamaha ns10 and tannoy 800 (not sure about the exact model).

+1 on listing the setup!:metal:

Stephen

Collibus/Scar Symmetry/Ex-Devin Townsend
Reaction score
Yea, Yamaha NS-10M's and Tannoy System 800A's (Actually my bassists).

21.5" iMac - 2.7GHz Intel Core i5 with 16GB Memory
Avid/Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro (Needs replacing to be fair)
HH SR900 Power Amp (For the NS-10M's)
Kemper

Thats about it really, the other stuff in the photo is not really being used in any way and is just there for storage such as the RJM RG16, Pod XT Pro and some other power amp.

Mixer is only being used so I can switch between monitors easily and so I can listen to music from my ipod without having to boot up the computer if I need to haha.

metalmonster

Reaction score
@themightybenja : toneport UX1, headphones, perhaps a small-ish midi keyboard. Komplete Elements, Drum'mica!, Reaper and welcome in the business.

Okay, i am describing my base rig, that i'm uprgrading once in a while. Starting by re-finishing my 1991 ibby (which was, once, a very nice guitar. Just have to bring it back to life, lots of de-rusting, rewiring and a coat of charcoal grey) so i can sell my deluxe player strat to pay for studio gear :lol:

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Yea, Yamaha NS-10M's and Tannoy System 800A's (Actually my bassists).

21.5" iMac - 2.7GHz Intel Core i5 with 16GB Memory
Avid/Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro (Needs replacing to be fair)
HH SR900 Power Amp (For the NS-10M's)
Kemper

Thats about it really, the other stuff in the photo is not really being used in any way and is just there for storage such as the RJM RG16, Pod XT Pro and some other power amp.

Mixer is only being used so I can switch between monitors easily and so I can listen to music from my ipod without having to boot up the computer if I need to haha.

I judge studio monitors solely off of appearance and the Tannoy's look like they sound awesome! :yesway: Same with acoustic treatment, if it isn't a crazy looking diffuser, it doesn't work...:coffee:

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been using guitar pro for years to jot down my ideas, but it's time to start recording for real. I'm a total nube with recording and the like, and I'm a poor college kid so I'm looking for the most bang for your buck product, for PC. Advice much appreciated. I couldn't find a discussion regarding this question specifically so if you guys know where this discussion has taken place, please redirect me.

My Gear:

-Ibanez 8 string RGIR28FEBK. That is, it's an Ibanez 8 string with EMGs.
-PRS se Paul Allender (bought it for the EMGs, not cuz I'm a fan of Allender)
-A small, old, VOX amp which is starting to wear down a bit
-Digitech rp255 effect pedal
-A beat up old keyboard which I hope to extract from my parents' attic soon.
-Years of music theory, seasoned and honed ears, and enough motivation to choke a horse! :squint:

-Cheers

Alesis io26 is great.

NickLAudio

Reaction score
Got rid of some stuff, got a new 23" monitor, put some studio foam on the walls, and also got a spankin' new Ibanez Iron Label RGIR. Absolutely love this thing, the neck is soooo fast. EMG 81 bridge, 60 neck comes stock and the tone is amazing.

GOPR0756_zps7ab0e91e.jpg

GOPR0761_zpse74a8d2f.jpg

')