Show Us Your Home Studio Setup!

NickLAudio

Reaction score
Studio2_zpsmbw2fih3.jpeg

NickLAudio

Reaction score
I used to have that same desk in grey!

Was a craigslist find for dirt cheap. It had platforms built in for monitors but had to remove them for the dual screen and rack gear. The platforms would have been too close together for my listening position anyways.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Was a craigslist find for dirt cheap. It had platforms built in for monitors but had to remove them for the dual screen and rack gear. The platforms would have been too close together for my listening position anyways.

That's too funny, I did the same thing!

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Nice! Looks a lot like my studio used to - I had MCI boards/machines and tons of outboard. Now it looks like a monitor and keyboard for the most part. :)

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
For the love of God, invest in some acoustic proper treatment. All that beautiful gear and that treatment is... yea...

Also, we have a giant thread about this stickied...

Rizzo

Reaction score
Wow, seeing this thread has been opened by nothing less than Nolly back in 2010 makes me laugh (in a good way) and feel a sense of perspective and accomplishment.

That being said, my super-low-budget home studio is too ugly to be shown in pics haha, so I'll just proceed with a description.

Studio gear

- 2015 Dell Inspiron 17" (i7, 8 GB RAM) running Reaper
- Pod HD500, direct out via USB
- Roland MA-8 monitors
Back story: actually inherited those from my dad, been using them as a home stereo for basically all of my teens. Later realized they were actual studio monitors when I got into recording, ha! Plus I've listened to so much music trough them I really know them inside and out. Really happy for them.
- Superlux HD662F
- Vic Firth drum cans, can't remember the model
- Mackie SRM450V2 FRFR powered monitor
Mainly for Pod use, sometimes doubles as a studio monitor when I don't have to care for bleed issues.
- 3 SM58-style mics
One is an actual Shure, the two others are knockoffs.
- Behringer Mixer
Using it to record pre-productions live, via a cheap jack-USB audio interface through CTRL room out.
- Yamaha rack rev/delay unit from dad. Can't remember the model, just using it for rehearsals.
- Bunch of preamps, an old tape machine (fun for experimental recording), turntables and stuff from dad. Nothing valuable overall.
- Bunch of the usual accessories (pop filter, mic stands, cables etc...)

All of this into...
- The Crappiest Room in Existence
Tiled floor, relatively low ceiling, open on one side (well basically two sides since one is a big wooden door on a porch...on the street!), two recessed windows. Always beloved, always f***in' unmanageable. But it's all I've got, folks. At least it isn't square!

Musical instruments
- Latter 80s Linko drumkit
Falling apart. 80s Meinl cymbals. Recycling old drum heads from friends because I don't care, and since attempting to record the kit for a production will never cross my mind.
- Roland EXR40 arranger keyboard
Permanently borrowed from a friend
- Fender CA series acoustic, can't remember the model
- Squier Strat Affinity, modded HSS w/ GFS pickups
- Schecter C1 Exotic Star, modded w/ SD and BKP pups
- Harley Benton JB vintage series

As for software, I don't use any fancy plugins.
Actually, I have a "policy" with myself to just use stock or free ones. I want to value my music, arrangements and my actual produciton skills before any "mental jerkoff" overthinking BS about "tone". I'll eventually dig into commercial plugins when I'll have enough experience to justify the act.

That's it, by now at least. Basically I have all it takes to record any kind of music any way I want, given the obvious "general purpose" and budget constraints. I'm really happy about my little budget home studio.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
So I bit the bullet and purchased some HS7's. Holy fuck. Wow. I've never had speakers this good before (I've always used shitty sub $100 logitech gamming speakers).

Pic:
20180222_181555.jpg

Audio interface/monitors/DAW:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 interface (may upgrade later but all I need for now)
Yamaha HS7 monitors
ATH-M40X Headphones
Reaper

Amp/Cab
Peavey 6505MH
Peavey 212-6 2x12 Cab

Wishlist:
6505+
Pedals (all of them)

Latest posts