Show Us Your Home Studio Setup!

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Finally got everything set up (and cleaned up) in the new house. I know, my monitors are too close to the wall, but the room is too tiny to move the desk out much more than this, so sound treatment is going to be a fun challenge:

33510107898_844f9e4637_o.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
Dude beautiful set-up. Seriously jealous of your PRS Mark Holcomb and of all things your foot stool!!:lol:
thanks man. It's nice to have someone be jealous of my gear for a change! Yeah I love the PRS. I added a new nut, locking tuners, hipshot knobs, strap locks, and had a fret level done. I bought it used for a great deal so even with all the mods and stuff it still came out to a couple hundred less than a new stock one.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
Finally got everything set up (and cleaned up) in the new house. I know, my monitors are too close to the wall, but the room is too tiny to move the desk out much more than this, so sound treatment is going to be a fun challenge:

33510107898_844f9e4637_o.jpg
Nice! How did you hide your wires? My wife hates them showing... even though its not her room... women...

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Nice! How did you hide your wires? My wife hates them showing... even though its not her room... women...

It takes quite a bit of work, and trial-and-error. But, in a nutshell, once I find the best layout I can (so as many wires are grouped as possible), I twist-tie together as much as I can. The other thing I do is run them up the inside of the desk's legs. The Argosy Halo desk that I'm using has hollow legs, and a feature that allows you to feed wires up INSIDE the legs, which is a huge help in keeping things neat. My Halo desk rocks. It's pricey, so I used Sweetwaters 3-equal-payments plan to finally make it a reality.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Cool to see so many PC-based home studios here. Every time I watch a YouTube video related to recording, they seem to be on a Mac (even the people using Reaper are on Macs too). So, I was starting to feel like a minority with my old self-built, ex-gaming PC.

Last edited:

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Cool to see so many PC-based home studios here. Every time I watch a YouTube video related to recording, they seem to be on a Mac (even the people using Reaper are on Macs too). So, I was starting to feel like a minority with my old self-built, ex-gaming PC.
Production is making a shift to more PC. More power for cheaper costs. Not only that, but upgradability is just way easier and cheaper. As someone who works in the post production world, we are seeing this shift take place right now. Macs are going away and PCs are taking their place. Super happy about it as a PC only user.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Production is making a shift to more PC. More power for cheaper costs. Not only that, but upgradability is just way easier and cheaper. As someone who works in the post production world, we are seeing this shift take place right now. Macs are going away and PCs are taking their place. Super happy about it as a PC only user.

I actually use both, as I have some software for my day job that is Mac-only. I tend to use my Mac for any graphic design-related stuff. However, all the music stuff, studio, etc. runs off my old AMD-based gaming PC that I built back in 2011.

It's starting to struggle a bit though, and I'm also starting to get weird software conflicts here and there that eat up practice/recording time. So I'm in the market for something new and have been contemplating building another PC vs. a ready-built audio (PC) workstation vs. switching to Mac. I'll probably stay with the PC platform, but go with a rackmount chassis instead of a tower next time around.

Catalyst Collide

Reaction score
Side rant: I'm a Mac guy that absolutely hates what apple has done with the hardware. I don't mind paying a slight premium because I prefer their OS, but their setups are limiting. There is not a standard desktop in their line up and that's a shame. The iMacs are cool, but I don't want their screen. I'd also like some flexibility with upgrades. The Mac Mini won't do and the mac pro, don't get me started between being old and overpriced. My current Mac is a hackintosh that I build. I'd say it's generally great with some idiosyncrasies. It's super stable - more stable than my 2017 Macbook Pro I have at work. It was much cheaper than anything officially apple and I got to pick out components / case that I wanted. Downsides: I had to build it, but that wasn't too bad after I failed once. Motherboard audio has never worked, but I just use my audio interface so that's fine. USB can sometimes be finicky, but mostly fine. OS updates are a pain - you've basically got to reinstall it from scratch. I built it a few years ago so I don't know what progress has been made in the Hackintosh community. But for users like me, it's really the only option that's left which is too bad. I'd pay the apple premium (to a degree) if they made a product that served me. (and yes, I've tried every version of windows, I've built many PCs, I don't hate them, I just prefer the Mac OS experience over the Windows one)

Latest posts