Show Us Your Home Studio Setup!

swedishfish

Reaction score
EDIT

newest addition: Yamaha HS7 monitors! They are amazing and sexy!

1262871_10201023296879255_1410928106_o.jpg

1173788_10201023247878030_1598572080_n.jpg

If you don't mind me asking what are the specs on that laptop and how does it keep up with recording? I've been looking for a new laptop for music.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
Ooh, never noticed this thread before, lemme try out my smartphone cam!

1237753_174112052780654_963904692_n.jpg

Hmmm, if it wasn't for the mic, you'd never suspect that a musician lived here! :lol:

547491_174112049447321_1866762698_n.jpg

Until you looked behind you and saw these! Complete with the true mark of a bedroom musician, dust on the flightcase! :D

Stijnson

Reaction score
I almost embarresed to post mine here, some beautiful setups in this thread. Anyway, here's mine!
IMG_9010.jpg

cyrilMYAIM

Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking what are the specs on that laptop and how does it keep up with recording? I've been looking for a new laptop for music.

It's an HP Pavilion DV7 laptop. There is nothing really worth mentioning except the 8G ram and the i7 processor. But then again most laptops have those specs nowadays... It does keep up very well with recording. I'm currently working on a project with 52 tracks that contain A LOT of plugins and I have not a single problem. (And if you need to know: I'm using Cubase 5 and mostly Waves plugins :) )

swedishfish

Reaction score
It's an HP Pavilion DV7 laptop. There is nothing really worth mentioning except the 8G ram and the i7 processor. But then again most laptops have those specs nowadays... It does keep up very well with recording. I'm currently working on a project with 52 tracks that contain A LOT of plugins and I have not a single problem. (And if you need to know: I'm using Cubase 5 and mostly Waves plugins :) )

Thanks a lot, this seems like it would be a solid upgrade to the netbook I use now. I'm hoping I can find a decent Black Friday deal or something.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
SCA stuff is killer. You can't go wrong there.

Yep, they sound killer. Finally got to use them pretty extensively yesterday and I like them better than the API 3124+ I had before, and I bought them for significantly less than the API, plus I got 2 more channels... Also - My ISA preamps now totally fail in comparison :lol:

Bought another pre yesterday, should have it and my new tube pre coming in this week. EXCITE!

jdinop

Pro Dudewang
Reaction score
954825_10151683570103527_750368547_n.jpg

Pardon the instagram photo!
Relatively modest control setup, not shown is a bunch of mics a few guitars and an orange dark terror.

Looking to get rid of those books for stands as well!!

Experimorph

Reaction score
This thread has been always been a massive source of inspiration for me, big ups to everyone involved! I haven't contributed myself because I was waiting to get my own apartment - and crawl out of the small box I used to live in.

Well, turns out I've now lived in my own place for close to two months, but it's taken quite some time to get everything set up. Well, two hours ago I started the usual cleaning around business and, with all the extra time I had, I ended up with my workstation sitting in its hopefully final place.

scdxtt.jpg

- Three-year-old desktop, built from parts. I've only had to change the HDD once (warranty covered it, phew!) and I've installed an SSD for the operating system and Pro Tools, etc..
- MacBook Pro for working on the move
- M-Audio Fast Track Pro
- Behringer B2030A monitors
- AKG K 242 HD cans
- A glass of water, though coffee's brewing in the kitchen!

Other stuff that sees a lot of use but is not pictured: Ibanez RG2228A, LTD D-5, Pod HD500, sE X1 microphone.

Aaaand here's a wider shot of the room:

2ij2ssj.jpg

Notes of interest:
- Every room should have at least one plant in it!
- The Logitech LS21 set cost only 19 euros, and while it sounds terrible, it's still better than the television's own speaker sound. I turned the subwoofer on its side with the bottom facing towards the listener, which actually tightened the bass drastically.

On the shopping list, in order of importance:
- That damn acoustic treatment, most likely early next month.
- New monitors, probably a set of Yamaha HS 7's, no idea when because I've no spare monthly cash.
- A set of closed cans for additional bass monitoring.
- A better speaker set for the television as I use it for reference listening as well (thinking about Audio Pro Addon Fives).

On quick inspection, my listening spot is better than ever before when it comes to stereo separation. Not sure about the bass in the room yet. There's still an awful lot of echo, though, as the walls are all naked.

Oh, and as they say never believe anything you hear and only half of what you see; the room is never as clean as in the photographs, I just tossed all the trash on the couch for aesthetic purposes. :lol:

WidekMusic

Reaction score
Hi guys ! Here is my new home studio i want to share with you :)

The Studio is called "Nova". Some of the gear: Fractal Axe fx 2, Fostex PM1 Mk2, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Mayones Setius Custom :) Hope you like it !

ivOPlyVx6rtbF.JPG

ibshmT5TevakG8.JPG

Cheers!

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
^Wow, that's ....ing epic!

Working with a realtor right now to find a new place. Hoping to find a house with a basement that has a separate entrance, so I can lock out the basement from the house and not have clients walking around through the house.

REALLY dig the aesthetics of your place! Where did you get your acoustic treatment? Looks really cool!

Beachbum4894

Music Producer
Reaction score
Hey guys, i gotta question and it'd help to get some input on it. My studio is in my basement and the wall material is brick, i was wondering how well brick is for reflections and absorbing sound, thanks!

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Hey guys, i gotta question and it'd help to get some input on it. My studio is in my basement and the wall material is brick, i was wondering how well brick is for reflections and absorbing sound, thanks!

I imagine its better than concrete but worse than everything else. One sign of proper acoustic treatment is when you walk in the room and everything becomes REALLY quiet! If you walk through the carpet section in Home Depot it has a similar effect, but I wouldn't recommend treating your room with carpet from Home Depot. :yesway:

Youne

Reaction score
Hi there ! This my home studio, I begin, but I really want to update this one !

3fi6.jpg

u97w.JPG

lm7x.jpg

6mpf.jpg

1ien.jpg

yhxh.jpg

The Gear:
- KRK RPG5 monitors
- M Audio Fast Track Pro
- Torpedo live (wich is excellent !!)
- Diezel Einstein combo (w/ G12K100)
- Shure SM 57
- Shure SM 58 (not for too long)
- AKG Perception 220
- Philips Head phone

The future updates:
- M Audio fastrack pro => Presonus Audiobox 44VSL
- Philips headhphone => AKG K271 MK II
- Shure SM58 => 2 AKG perception 170
- Laney IRT Studio
- Modify the desk: add 2 3U racks, minimize the column on the left

You can see, on the 3rd picture my in work 8 string guitar... !

enghell

Funeral Doom
Reaction score
Some really nice set ups here guys. :bowdown:

At the moment I'm not posting any photos, since I've quite recently moved back from Australia to Sweden and currently looking for a permanent residence (which takes forever here).

Anyhow, this is the setup I have where I'm currently staying:

Hardware:
Laptop ASUS w/ Intel Core i7, 8Gb ram, external hd for audio
RME Babyface (awesome audio interface)
Steinberg CC121 (just working a DAW with keyboard and mouse sucks IMHO)
Tannoy Reveal Active nearfield monitors (borrowed from a mate but not using them that much since the acoustics aren't the greatest here)
KRK KNS 8400 headphones (do use these quite extensively since the acoustics aren't the greatest here)
AKG K240 headphones (had them forever, pretty good but lack a bit of bass)
Line6 POD 2.0
OKKO Dominator (best overdrive/distorsion pedal I've ever tried)
TC Electronic M300
Midi-keyboard
E-bow

Software:
Steinberg Cubase 6.5
Line6 POD Farm 2.51
Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.3 (w/ The Metal Foundry, of course)
Toontrack EZdrummer (/w DFH, Metalheads, Metal Machine, Americana, Nashville, Rock Solid, Indie Folk, Twisted Kit, Electronic, Rock!)
Toontrack EZmix 2 (inkl. Amps, Chuck Ainley, Mastering, Metal, Metal Guitar Gods, Randy Staub)

Steinberg WaveLab Elements 7
Steinberg HALion Symphonic Orchestra
(VST)
Steinberg Dark Planet (VST)

Instruments:
Ibanez RGD2127FX (w/ Bare Knuckle Pickups ceramic Warpigs)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky™
(tuned B-B)
Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special
Charvel 475 Deluxe
(w/ EMG81, blocked Floyd Rose and tuned B-B)
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-89
Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer
(6-stringed acoustic)
Yamaha FG-312II (12-stringed acoustic)
Ibanez SR-505 (5-stringed bass)
Roland JV-1010 (oldie but goldie)

The list of gear I'm getting soon:
Kemper Profiling Amp (ordered it for me to pick it up at the end of November when I have the cash)
Adam F7 or Yamaha HS8 nearfield monitors (haven't decided which ones yet)
Build a new desktop computer for audio recording (probably after christmas).
Behringer Ultramatch Pro SRC2496, gonna need it since S/PDIF on the Kemper is coax and on my RME Babyface it's optical (anyone else know of something similar that is not Behringer?)
Some type of easily moved/removed acoustic treatment

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Wow. This thread is like the Christmas that will never come. Any pictures of my setup would be very point-and-laugh-able.

I wouldn't worry about that. I haven't met anyone who records music who has not been humbled by setting up a home studio and recording in general. It's too hard and too expensive to not be humbled by it. :cheers:

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Got some new HS8's figured I'd post an updated pic.

I will be posting a proper NGD as well, since I got some other great toys with them.

')