Reaction score
Supermarket bike : 50$
Rust in Peace : Priceless

PIC_0011-1.jpg

Fred

Reaction score
Obviously not my exact one, but this is what I get around on:

felt%20q220%2007.jpg

Or at least it was till some fucker tried to steal it, couldn't cut my lock so cut the frame in half instead. Still haven't got over the brainless malice in that... Had to get a replacement frame on the cheap, so I've got a Frankenbike with all of the hardware from the Felt but with this frame:

specialized-hardrock-pro-2006-mountain-bike.jpg

Isn't perfect - the frame I got wasn't made for disk brakes and I didn't want to split the cables up, so they're attached with wire ties at the moment. Still, it works!

Donny Oliver

Reaction score
ok, this is my dirt/dh bike, is not a big thing, but I don`t want to expend more money in bikes (I wanna build a house).
I use it for urban thing, trialbike, dirt jump and a little down hill, not too much, the fork sucks, need a real one.

terminada.jpg

IMG12123.jpg

IMG12125.jpg

IMG12126.jpg

post your bikes!!
ok, this is my dirt/dh bike, is not a big thing, but I don`t want to expend more money in bikes (I wanna build a house).
I use it for urban thing, trialbike, dirt jump and a little down hill, not too much, the fork sucks, need a real one.

terminada.jpg

IMG12123.jpg

IMG12125.jpg

IMG12126.jpg

post your bikes!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Donny Oliver

Reaction score
2006 Haro SX Pro Group 1 all aluminum very light 14 lb aluminum Fork aluminum frame very fast and stiff

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
He posited a 5 kilometer, 7% grade. That's a good, stiff climb. The legendary Stelvio climb averages 7.5%. He further assumed a rider who can kick out 250 watts. A 160 pound rider will take 19 minutes and 21 seconds to get up the hill. Every 5 pounds added make the trip up the hill take 30 seconds longer.
That means each added pound adds 6 seconds to the time it takes to get up this hill. That is only 6 seconds on a stiff, 20 minute climb.
So, given our roughly 4-pound range from a full steel bike to a super-light carbon or aluminum bike, the time difference up this hill would be 24 seconds from best to worst

I hate to quote a 10 year old post in a necro-bumped thread, but... :lol:

While it's VERY important to take all of this with a grain of salt, I have two observations here.

1) The reason Stelvio is such an iconic climb (and I'm hoping to fly out to Italy to ride it myself this year) is not because it averages 7.5%, but because it ascends for 6,000 feet of vertical over 17 miles of gorgeous switchbacks built up out of the side of the Alps. The average grade itself is nothing particularly special. As the grade increases beyond that (and I've done climbs where the grade has averaged double that) the impact of every additional pound starts to have a greater and greater impact on climbing speed, so on a really hairy climb, you're talking quite a bit more than 6 seconds over 20 minutes per pound- at least double, probably more (since the steeper the grade the more of your power output is moving in the vertical and not horizontal plane).

2) the other thing to keep in mind here, is that by the time you're spending the kind of money where you're getting down to even 17lbs (and my road bike, a 2015 Specialized Tarmac Expert on a set of Enve 4.5s, is right around 17-17.1) you're talking some pretty serious money. For perspective, I'm eying my next road bike and while I think I should be able to get it to the UCI limit (currently 14.99lbs), I'll be hard pressed to do that for less than five figures. There are two sorts of people who spend that kind of money on bikes; those with more money than talent, and those who are pretty damned serious about riding performance. At that level, being able to shave 12-24 seconds off your theoretical best possible effort on a 20-minute 7.5% climb actually becomes pretty significant. And as technology has continued to evolve, the "tradeoffs" of lower weight have largely gone away - the SL6 iteration of my (SL5) frame, for example, is stiffer relative to the power stroke, more compliant relative to road chatter, and more aerodynamic than the first gen version of Specialized's aero frame, while being a half pound lighter.

Anyway, yes, cutting weight off the rider is a lot cheaper than off the bike, but that's not the same as saying bike weight is irrelevant... And if the takeaway of this article for you is it's EASY to get a road bike down to 15lbs so its largely a matter of choice, well, trust me, it's really not. It's bloody expensive. :lol:

thedonal

Reaction score
Nice to see a bike thread here. I'm on a cheap-ish commuter bike here- Carrera Subway One (for the Brits among us). So far, in 19 months, it's had a new groupset, 4 chains, new pedals (due to being knocked off) and just put a new bottom bracket on. At least I'm learning my mechanicking skills!! That's at least 50 miles a week- more when the weather's good.

So I'm keeping it good for the London to Brighton in June- 54 miles will a great big 'ill at the end. Did it in 4 hours 15 last year and want to knock 30 mins off that this time around.

Can't wait for the good weather and lighter evenings to get the mileage in.

I'd love a decent road bike at some point- I'm eyeing up a Cannondale Synapse AL- but can't throw the money at it yet.,.

Edit- as per cutting the weight- I'm all for losing a bit myself. I've stopped drinking for a while and hopefully soon the pounds will start falling off me!

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Holy necro-bump, Batman. But also, I really want the snow to go away so I can bust the old bike out. It's nothing worth showing off, but it's enough to get me to work and back.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Engines are cheating! :lol:

Just got back from a long weekend in Tucson, highlights of which were riding Mt. Lemmon to the observatory, Gates Pass, and Mt. Graham, the latter of which is reputed to be harder than Lemmon and one of the 20 hardest climbs in the States, but personally I found Lemmon worse - the steepest grades there were the final couple miles to the observatory, and 10-12% over 8,000 feet above sea level is sheer hell, while by the time you're over 8,000 feet and fighting thinning air, Graham has leveled off a fair amount.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't remember if I took any pictures of it but my brother had an old frame sitting in my parents' garage that had oversized forks and no back wheel. I bought new forks, disc brakes, rims, and a cassette and put it together at the end of last summer but only got to ride it once.

I'm ready to break it out of hiding now that the weather is picking up, I'll look for pictures or snap some when it's outside.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I finally got a lithium battery and tender. Now I have space in the battery compartment for skittles or something.

Latest posts