Shows you loved when you were a kid

• Thread starter Thin_Ice_77
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I didnt take time to look through all the pages, but what about David Lynch's "Twin Peaks"? Epic. Fuckin'. Show!

Doesn't make any sense to the average 7 year old, though.

+1 to M.A.S.K and Bobby's World. :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blister7321

Reaction score
ed edd & eddy
DBZ
pokemon
rocko's modern life
ANGRY BEAVERS
invader zim
AHHHH real monsters
cat dog
reboot
street sharks
transformers BEAST WARS
are you afraid of the dark
salute your shorts
doug
pete &pete

soundgardener75

Resident Weirdo
Reaction score
Watched a majority of cartoons and anime growing up. A lot of great titles had been mentioned, so here's the rest of mine:

Kid shows:
The Electric Company
Sesame Street (70's/early 80's FTW)

Early anime and cartoons:
Voltez V
Mazinger Z
Daimos
Blackstar
Spiral Zone
Visionaries
Sky Commanders
The Comic Strip (Karate Kat, Mini Monsters, Street Frogs, Tigersharks)

Then there's the action shows:
A-Team
Airwolf
Bionic Woman
Blue Thunder
The Equalizer
Invisible Man
The Six Million Dollar Man
Spider Man
Wonder Woman (who wouldn't remember that?)

Like the others mentioned too, I can go on and on...

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
In watching newer animes like GitS, I constantly hear echoes from the animated show I watched religiously...

astroboy_the_movie.jpg

Built by a grief-stricken father in the image of his dead son, sold into circus slavery when he didn't grow like the real boy, rescued by a kindly scientist, and constantly fighting for everyone, in spite of the prejudice leveled against him because he wasn't human. His final sacrifice to save humans affected me deeply.

Speed Racer, Marine Boy and the Trans-Lux Hercules also were favorites. Hercules was perhaps the most interesting, because he was also capable of mercy, which wasn't a normal attribute for cartoon heros. As the song said, "kindness in his eyes!"

Live action shows? Land of the Giants, Lost in Space, Gilligan's Island.

The greatest show? Star Trek. Full of big ideas, this show had me find the Log books in the library, and started me reading science fiction. I now recognize that the show is thinly veiled Greek tragedy.

I remember being allowed to stay up late and watch a made-for-TV movie, about a stunt pilot who had crashed and lost his limbs. The government paid for him to be rebuilt, but with improved capabilities. I was so happy when the Six Million Dollar Man had further movies, and then it was eventually made into a series. The books have more depth than the shows, of course. Since I already had an interest in the current state of the art in prosthetics (thank you, Smithsonian Institution, for your displays on myoelectric artificial limbs!), this show almost changed the course of my life... if not for one deeper television event.

At one point, a small boy was allowed to stay up late and watch the culmination of what he had been seeing bits of all his life. Three men, taking air and food with them, were locked into a small metal can and sent across a cold and empty sea. Two of them stepped outside in a new land, one which had nothing to sustain them. I watched as the first footstep was taken...

i1.jpg

...and, years later, wound up working at Goddard.

Obviously, all my shows are much older than what most of you list.

What's interesting to me is how much television changed the dreams of a lot of those in my generation. There were a ton of people who had fallen in love with space due to Star Trek. When even the name of a government spacecraft is changed to that of a fictional starship due to public demand, that shows the power and weight of ideas...

iRaiseTheDead

Ashes Of Rebirth
Reaction score
Power Rangers
Pokemon
Digimon
Spider
Batman
Dexter's Laboratory
The Fresh Prince Of Belair

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Anything from the mid nineties nickelodeon was good. After that, I stopped watching cartoons and began watching Star Wars every day, mainly RotJ. Can I list Adult swim's stuff for right now?

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
The Trapdoor was such a kickass show.

That said, I vaguely remember the last episode of both it and Felix The Cat being completely fucked up, trippy as hell episodes :scratch:

Same goes for Rocko's Modern Life... Fuck I loved that show...

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Seriously, SWAT Kats definitely had the most metal theme. They used a high A string for those harmonies for Christ sake!

Latest posts

')