Shredding vs. Music?

• Thread starter koma
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

koma

Reaction score
I've heard the name Rustey Cooley many times but I've never heard him before. So I thought ok, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SCX-e4MF44&search=8 strings ,give it a try and ...it's so so SO annoying:spock: I mean ok he's enjoying himself but the few lame keyboard notes in the background and his shredding for the sake of shredding don't make this listenable. Am I the only one who thinks the guy lost himself :nuts: or what do you guys think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Nah, i actually enjoy a fair ammount of his disc, if you've heard it.
Thats not a good representation of him song writing cause thats just a "I have an 8 string" video. Listen to some of the songs like Dark Matter, Under the Influence, E.B.E, and Hillbilly Militia.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
I think... maybe you should go buy the damn CD... and give it a listen, instead of watching his improv and instructional stuff online. Dark Matter will blow your mind away, and many other songs. It's not JUST SHRED SHRED AS FAST AS YOU CAN! There's tons of melodies, and quicker paced melodies using arpeggios.

I'm pretty much the only one who likes his exciting shred guitar, and awesome melodies, out of all the people on this forum. You can watch his INSTRUCTIONAL, and hate it, or you can listen to his music, and take it all in. Some people see it as only fast playing for no reason, but rusty makes new sounds and compound notes by playing fast, that no one else can do, and fuck, it sounds awesome. I think shred falls into the realm of categories such as opera, classical piano music, harp, chamber music... that type of stuff. Unless you get it musically, and can understand it, it won't sound pleasing to you. I guess it's more of an acquired taste, rather than something that anyone who hears it will love. I understand it, and I love it.

If you think he's self-indulged too much, then I seriously think you're just jealous that he's incredibly talented.:fawk: :lol:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
David said:
I'm pretty much the only one who likes his exciting shred guitar, and awesome melodies, out of all the people on this forum.
Dude, rusty rules, im a huge fan of his. \m/

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
Nah, i actually enjoy a fair ammount of his disc, if you've heard it.
Thats not a good representation of him song writing cause thats just a "I have an 8 string" video. Listen to some of the songs like Dark Matter, Under the Influence, E.B.E, and Hillbilly Militia.
zomg, thank you, I love you... usually I'm alone on defending rusty here... so I have to be uber-insecure-defensive.

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
I came into this thread when there were no replys and thought to myself "Oh man....David is going to have a field day with this guy" :lol:

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
Dude, rusty rules, im a huge fan of his. \m/
oh damn, we should shoot shit sometime then, I didn't know you were a fellow shredi-lover:)!

btw, chorus for Under The Influence... that's one of the best melodies ever, I declare it.:yesway:

Scott said:
I came into this thread when there were no replys and thought to myself "Oh man....David is going to have a field day with this guy" :lol:
hahaha, YES, I fucking love rusty!:lol: :bowdown:

Not because of how fast he can play, but his ability to use an 8 string, and create a whole new way around the fretboard which creates this whole new sound. Nobody sounds like him, and that's why nobody can tab his stuff out. If you've ever looked at a tab of his, you'd be in shock.

and... koma... shredding isn't music? How so, please, explain. Tell me how Jason Becker, Tony MacAlpine, Vai, Satch, Vinnie Moore, Marty Friedman, and Paul Gilbert don't make music.

Thanks.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
The the one that starts out with the A-C-G arp shape or the string skipping one? they both pwn

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
The the one that starts out with the A-C-G arp shape or the string skipping one? they both pwn
the A-C-G arp, but yes, the string skipping one pwns:metal:

koma

Reaction score
Listen to some of the songs like Dark Matter, Under the Influence, E.B.E, and Hillbilly Militia.
Will do!
I'll get back to you after a few hearings:hbang:

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
sweetness:yesway:

if you have Guitar Pro, you should definately go to mysongbook.com and get the tab for it.

koma

Reaction score
Oh, I forgot
and... koma... shredding isn't music? How so, please, explain. Tell me how Jason Becker, Tony MacAlpine, Vai, Satch, Vinnie Moore, Marty Friedman, and Paul Gilbert don't make music.
I'm a huge fan of classical music, especially Rachmaninov, and I like Yngwie, Becker and Friedman( sorry never heard the other guys), so shredding is cool :shred: (even on the piano), but it has to serve a purpose. This video is in my ears pure showing off.

guitarjitsumaster

seven times seven
Reaction score
Yea, most all of his video's online are about technique or just song snippets. His CD has plenty of melody and intense melodic motifs despite his admission that this CD was totally designed to be the most intense guitar album he could muster technique wise. Wait until the new outworld disc comes out if you want to hear his playing inside of a full band with vocals and all. I think when people hear the new outworld disc they'll have a whole new impression of Rusty.

Samer

Dybbuk
Reaction score
You cant judge his playing by a improve video, even thought his imporve is very melodic its still not what he sounds like as a song writer, listen to out world, he writes some very cool sound guitar parts.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dude. Speed = Emotion. Clearly. I just searched YouTube for that Herra Rapu/Mr. Crab dude's vid, but drew a blank.

Anyway, Rusty owns. I think the thing you have to remember here was this was him just screwing around over a backing right after he got his Conklin 8- if it sounds like he's wanking for the sake of wanking, well, he is. :lol:

A lot of people see one or two clips like this and maybe a Chops From Hell lesson, and write him off as a guy whoplays drills REALLY fast, but there's more to the dude than that.

By the way, there's a TAB for under the influence? Damn, lol. I tried and gave up. :D And while that song is badass, i think the guitar "bassline" under the solo section is just about as cool as the lead itself - the dude clearly knows his classical harmony cold.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Hmm...I think the comment left say the same thing this thread does. Besides it's not like he said "CHECK OUT THIS COOL SONG I MADE ON MY 8 STRING"

It's more like "watch me shred up and down this huge ass neck"

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
Dude. Speed = Emotion. Clearly. I just searched YouTube for that Herra Rapu/Mr. Crab dude's vid, but drew a blank.

Anyway, Rusty owns. I think the thing you have to remember here was this was him just screwing around over a backing right after he got his Conklin 8- if it sounds like he's wanking for the sake of wanking, well, he is. :lol:

A lot of people see one or two clips like this and maybe a Chops From Hell lesson, and write him off as a guy whoplays drills REALLY fast, but there's more to the dude than that.

By the way, there's a TAB for under the influence? Damn, lol. I tried and gave up. :D And while that song is badass, i think the guitar "bassline" under the solo section is just about as cool as the lead itself - the dude clearly knows his classical harmony cold.
Ah, nah, there is a tab for Dark Matter though.

http://www.mysongbook.com/tab-tab_list-id_artist=4899.htm

The Duel and Dark Matter are all done out. It has the main part of the chorus on there... If you don't have GP, just download the demo and open up Dark Matter. It will scare the fuck out of you.:eek: :lol:

Speed = Emotion:hbang: :shred:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3195733008253691341&q=born+to+shred

SevenatoR

Seven String Slinger
Reaction score
Rusty is a great guitarist. Period.

Having said that...anything for the sake of itself is essentially masturbation.

Methinks Rusty doth play too many notes for the poor emperor's ear. :lol:

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Well, i make a distinction between people that shred and people that write songs. The amazing technique, fast runs and shit is icing on the cake, and if there's no song behind it or flow then it just sounds like rubbish.

For instance, i think satriani has a good sense of song writing and creating memorable tunes whereas i think that vai just vomits on his fretboard.

Personal taste, but the song has to come first.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Rusty owns...end of discussion. He plays what he plays because he wants to, which is more than I can say for some shredders, who shred and then apologize for it.

Some people like shred stuff, some don't, I myself, could listen to this stuff all day.

Latest posts

')