Shredding vs. Music?

• Thread starter koma
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
7 Happy Little Trees said:
For instance, i think satriani has a good sense of song writing and creating memorable tunes whereas i think that vai just vomits on his fretboard.

Personal taste, but the song has to come first.
Weird, I'm much more into Vai as a writer, and technique wise. Satch bases a lot of his songs on "formula's" as a lot of composer's go to, where they get stuck in a rut and have the same variations over and over again. Stratovarius is a perfect example of that. Do I even need to mention Yngwie? haha. Anyway, Real Illusions, good god, Freak Show Excess, pretty much keeping the creativity and flow up to the max.:)

Doesn't that video just rock? Not just that, but they're actually pretty damn good on those 7's:)

evil

vile
Reaction score
Everyone has their own tastes, bro. Some people look for incredibly fast music, some look for incredibly dark music. Whatever. If it doesn't grab you, that's fine, but if the guy is famous (and he is to some degree), then his music must grab some people.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
evil said:
Everyone has their own tastes, bro. Some people look for incredibly fast music, some look for incredibly dark music. Whatever. If it doesn't grab you, that's fine, but if the guy is famous (and he is to some degree), then his music must grab some people.
argh... er... fame has nothing to do with music. Fame is the business side of things. (usually)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I can think of plenty of famous people who have little talent. But maybe the point eb was trying to make was ... umm... What was the point you were trying to make? :lol:

Anyway, Rusty is a respectable guitarist, no doubt. :yesway:

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
I like Rusty, because he shows me what's possible on the instrument. I think that we always need to have guys like him pushing the boundaries. That way the instrument evolves.

Padraig

Reaction score
You want shred with no music buy Francesco Fareri's Suspension Cd. Its like he sequenced 9 minutes of pure brilliant backing tracks and just sweep picked everywhere. It's one of the poorest releases I've ever heard.
But the guy learned from his mistakes, hired a real band and wrote a brilliant musical follow up with actual compostions.

Cooley imho has the chops but also an amazing head for harmony and composition. His playing is extremely melodic but at times he gets a little too carried away.

It can be sugar coated anyway but a song is much more important than technique. As for Shred vs Music. Shred can be Music. Some guys like MichaelAngelo and Impelliteri might not get that. But one listen to TD Clark, John Petrucci, Cooley, Guthrie Govan or Mattias Ia Eklundh will tell you shred can be musical.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
David said:

David, I can't access google vids at work, but if that's the one I was talking about, you, sir, rock. :hbang:

And on Satch... I agree with you if you're talking about the last three albums. They really HAVE been formulaic and rather uninspired, but just about everything he's released prior to that, man, the guy is one of the most "musical" of the shred guys I've ever heard. Especially on some of his lesser known tracks - "Echoes," "Circles," "All Alone," "Time Machine," "Secret Prayer..." Hell, All Alone is a Mal Waldron/Billie Holiday cover, for christ's sake. :lol: Yet, he turns it into a smoldering slow blues with an explosive blues-based guitar solo... Incredible.

Anyway, I suspect you may at least agree in part here, as you were just raving about "The Mysical Potato Head Groove Thing" around here a few days back. :metal:

that guy

Reaction score
for me it depends on the song ,if the song calls for a 32 notes per second lead line go for it ,but if you are just shredding to shred blah , look at spastic ink ,symphony x ,vai ,children of bodom

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, I like all of those bands! :(

I'd say Michael Angelo is the guy who shreds for the sake of shredding, and actually got famous for it.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
that guy said:
for me it depends on the song ,if the song calls for a 32 notes per second lead line go for it ,but if you are just shredding to shred blah , look at spastic ink ,symphony x ,vai ,children of bodom
are those bands that you think overuse speed?

MAB and Francisco Ferari. Ferari is fast but SLOPPY as hell.

Samer

Dybbuk
Reaction score
David said:
MAB and Francisco Ferari. Ferari is fast but SLOPPY as hell.

He goes so fast that its hard to tell if he is sloopy, the notes are like a big blur.

evil

vile
Reaction score
Sorry to anyone who likes him, but I can't stand Michael Angelo Batio. If he was a guitar master, he'd be called Master Batio. Heh heh heh.

:evil:

Oh yeah, and CoB rule!

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
that guy said:

Those bands all rock! :shred: Symphony X, Steve Vai, Children of Bodom. :hbang: Sweeeeeet bands.

I hope you were syaing that those are some of the bands that "shred" tastefully and are just plain cool.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
evil said:
Sorry to anyone who likes him, but I can't stand Michael Angelo Batio. If he was a guitar master, he'd be called Master Batio. Heh heh heh.

:evil:
!

:LMAO:

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
evil said:
Agreed!:yesway:

I'm hoping what naren thought.:yesway:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, early Satriani is just mind-bending. The alien persona/image thing is perfectly appropriate for the dude - if anyone disagrees, spin "Surfing" for them, lol.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
David said:
ahh! get to a computer where you can access it... and watch this too:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6100853196503866597&q=joe+satriani&pl=true

that's a video satch made, I'm guessing during the making of the new CD. It's INSANELY inspriring.

Anyway, yeah, a lot of his way early stuff was all original and all amazing. Sometimes I wonder why I even try.;):yesway:
That's a cool vid, and I like how the amp head is on it's side in tbe back, LOL.

I also thought it was funny how he does some "dime squeals" lol. For some reason that doesn't look correct haha.

')