Shredding vs. Music?

• Thread starter koma
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

that guy

Reaction score
Naren said:
Those bands all rock! :shred: Symphony X, Steve Vai, Children of Bodom. :hbang: Sweeeeeet bands.

I hope you were syaing that those are some of the bands that "shred" tastefully and are just plain cool.
yes,exactly what i meant

punctuation = sex

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
David we need to talk music sometime... i pretty much agree with everything you said in this thread :p

Project2501

Malleus Maleficarum
Reaction score
Well I might as well jump in too. I have heard Rusty's stuff and some of it is ok, but sometimes ... eh.....

When I was younger I worshiped the "shred" guys, but as I got older my ears started to "change". I don't think music should be a contest. I used to really put down some of the "alternative" music during my highschool days, but again I have grown to respect some of it. Playing fast doesn't always mean someone is a better musician.

If you like it listen to it. One shredder I can't stand though is Francesco Fareri. His "music" and I use that term loosely makes me want to vomit. Speed alone doesn't make up for a lack of phrasing and delivery IMO. But again if you like his stuff buy it and listen to it.

Just try and listen to things you might not normally listen to. You might find something cool you didn't know about.

Peace and Grease :wavey:

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
i think Rusty Cooley owns all... his instructionals are awesome btw...
i like Steve Vai and Petrucci too, as far as speed and delivery i think Cooley owns just about everyone out there- ill go out on a limb and include Yngwie and Vai into this. Before you respond to that- have you heard his solo album completely/Outworld work? Probably not.

Ive seen Yngwie, Vai and Satch as G3 in NYC, Vai blew both of them away, Satch was very reserved, Yngwie tried to show off all the time.

Do you know why? He can play extremely fast as well as tastefully. But he started out shredding. So I think there is a very big importance to 'shred for the sake of shredding' to develop chops.

I'd give Fareri a few years and see what happenes

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Old threads kick ass. I think? :scratch:

i think Rusty Cooley owns all... his instructionals are awesome btw...
i like Steve Vai and Petrucci too, as far as speed and delivery i think Cooley owns just about everyone out there- ill go out on a limb and include Yngwie and Vai into this. Before you respond to that- have you heard his solo album completely/Outworld work? Probably not.

I don't want to start another flame-fest, but I'd just like to point out that your logic is flawed. I have Rusty's solo works and I can't stand it.

Although he's got awesome chops, and props to him for that. And as much as I rag on Rusty's songwriting abilities, he's still 100X better songwriter than Farreri. Much cleaner player, too.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
"In a time when dinosaurs walked the e-e-earth... "

angusyoungwanabe

ss.org's Diabetic
Reaction score
ok so itunes finally has Cooley/outworld up, but which outworld album should i purchase. they're both the same but one was released in november and the other in december. i know they had a singer change, so did they re-record the album and release 2 versions or something? cuz i want to get it, but im all confused.:nuts: :scratch: :spock: :wallbash:

')