Sick Opening Riffs Thread

• Thread starter 123321123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tm20

Reaction score

there's one more, Boris The Blade-Serpents Crown, but I couldn't find the one song on Youtube (only the whole album), but the whole album is really good so give it a listen :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kittenflower

Reaction score
Huge Nevermore fangirl here :wub: So hard to choose a select few since so many great opening riffs lead to even more great riffs... Might make another post with other bands but right now I need to get my Nevermore love out :D

I miss 6-stringed Jeff Loomis :( Creative smashing in-your-face venomous riffs leading to more of it. And dat tone as well! :bowdown: Though I admit most of the older material sounded that creative and heavy because he had Pat O'Brien and Tim Calvert rocking along... an often forgotten contribution to their insane psychedelic era.

Anyway I'm off to play The Politics of Ecstasy album on my Jackson 6 string now...

Edika

Reaction score
And a few more:

Several songs from Nightfall in Middle Earth but I'll just pick the classic due to the epic opening riff:

I have forgotten how kick ass Symphony X is

This whole Coroner - No More Color album has sick opening riffs but this is my favorite:

Something a bit more different

I think I've cluttered this thread enough for the time being!

Last edited:

wankerness

Reaction score
I thought of Ashes in your Mouth too, that's one of the greatest Megadeth songs imo, it doesn't seem to get much attention for some reason. Almost every riff in that song rules, besides maybe the early verse riffs. :p

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I love the whole intro to this one.

wankerness

Reaction score
This thread is thus far lacking in Deftones.
]

If this was a best SECOND riffs thread I'd submit Knife Prty, Be Quiet and Drive and Hexagram. Well, with Knife Prty and Hexagram the second riff is the same riff, it just sounds way better with distortion and the band. :p

Edika

Reaction score
I thought of Ashes in your Mouth too, that's one of the greatest Megadeth songs imo, it doesn't seem to get much attention for some reason. Almost every riff in that song rules, besides maybe the early verse riffs. :p

It is a really underrated song and I would say the best from that album.

Edika

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of In Flames but this opening riff it's just awesome:

Tresspass has a killer opening riff but this song has too:

As well as this:

This album had a lot of great opening riffs but this is one of my favorites:

Another great records with awesome opening riffs:

This record makes it also difficult to choose:

Something more current:

wankerness

Reaction score
Oh man, Death - Misanthrope is a good one. I haven't heard that album in probably 10 years. I loved that riff, used to try and play it on guitar all the time.

Latest posts

')