Siggery guitars

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

foreright

Reaction score
My opinion on the whole refund thing... Very tricky. I think when you enter into the agreement you acknowledge that the deposit (like any deposit) is not going to be refunded. He needs the money to spend on raw materials for your build and to put food on the table in the mean time.

Just to pick up on this a bit (specifically the bit in bold) - this is not strictly true. A deposit would indicate that you have entered into a legally binding contract to pay for goods HOWEVER, there is no blanket "is not going to be refunded".

Whether or not the luthier (or any vendor) is entitled to keep the deposit depend on the exact terms and conditions of the contract you signed (you did get a written contract with T&Cs right?) and also the law. You cannot just put any old random thing in the T&Cs (like deposits are never refundable...) and have it stand up in court - at least not in the UK!

Regardless, the vendor getting to keep the deposit depends on them also keeping to their side of the contract. Again, what EXACTLY did you get in writing regarding timescales?

Again - I am not a lawyer however, your entitlement to getting your deposit back depends on exactly what was agreed at the time you formed the contract in terms of timescales and it also depends (realistically!) on you having this in writing.

If he said it would take 4-6 months and it's been a year and he's not started yet then it is reasonable (IMO) for you to get your deposit back and I would be personally be telling him that if the deposit is not returned with a week I would be either [a] speaking to a solicitor or issuing small claims court proceedings.

Also, depending on how you paid the deposit, it might be worth contacting your credit card / bank although I suspect it's been too long.

EDIT: edit to add - if he REALLY needs the deposit money to pay for materials / live on then he's not going to be in business for very long. This is the classic Ponzi scheme that we all decried when the whole BRJ thing flared up. It's extremely bad to run your business like this and leads to the exact kind of problems you guys are all seeing here - ie. too many orders taken because he needs the money to pay for previous orders, delays increase and increase, deposits get kept etc. etc. until eventually it all blows up and he disappears / goes bust.

Mr_Metal_575

Reaction score
This is very very sad, I'm sorry for you guys. Now I realise I'm even more lucky to have it here, I could be in your situation easily. I'm not going to defend Marty or anything, just do what you think is correct and better for you, and refund seems the best option :(

Matte

Reaction score
I actually didn't see this coming... is this one of yours, guys?

559652_784500398254468_5789583363869214021_n.jpg

Yep, that one is mine!

Matte

Reaction score
I should be getting it in a few weeks, international shipping to Canada takes a while but I am stoked!

Matte

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm sorry to hear about these negative interactions with Marty as mine have always been positive and open. Whilst yes some of the vague answers like "putting on the finishing touches" can be frustrating as it doesn't really tell you anything, I always too it as at least a sign of life from the builder and keeping an open line of communication.

I personally also came from a very different perspective when I ordered the guitar as my uncle is a guitar builder and I had figured the timeline he quoted me was way too short and had assumed with would take way longer (most reputable classical guitar builders have a cue of about a 2 years before you get the guitar). I will say, I understand the disappointment when the deadlines pass, it can be disheartening.

For people looking for refunds on deposits, I would recommend selling the build spot as that is the general practice when it comes to selling custom shop guitars. Try going on https://www.facebook.com/groups/1384606591817152/ and making a post. I'm sure there are lots of people that would jump on it.

Like I stated earlier, my personal experience with Marty has always been a positive one and I hope that everyone's issues can be resolved somehow. For people who have has a recent negative interaction with him, if I were in that situation, I would give it a week or so for tempers on both sides cool off a bit and then get in touch with him saying along the lines of:

"Look, it's obvious that we are both frustrated with the situation but we have to find a way to resolve it. I've already paid (X euros), we both agreed that you were going to build a guitar for me and you quoted me a time frame. Yes the deadline is long past now but we'll just call that water under the bridge. I am still really looking forward to getting my guitar, are you still willing to do this build for me?"

Then perhaps something along the lines of:

"Lets go at this open and honestly. I promise not to be mad or angry, I just want an honest update, where are we actually in the build? Have you cut anything? Have you glued anything?"

I'm sure that there is still a way to turn this whole situation around. That being said I am generally a positive person so I look for any way to salvage a situation.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I would recommend selling the build spot as that is the general practice when it comes to selling custom shop guitars. Try going on https://www.facebook.com/groups/1384606591817152/ and making a post. I'm sure there are lots of people that would jump on it.

So congrats on purchasing a slot in the Siggery build queue. Let me just apply the deposit to the overall build cost...

3723652599ba104038bbd7b5868e5d4379ae9c15faaad44ce9595303985a8350.jpg

Danny Husk

Reaction score
Is there any rhyme or reason to the order in which these builds are getting finished?

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Is there any rhyme or reason to the order in which these builds are getting finished?

No, but like it's been seen with several other derelict builders it's always people with less than ten posts here who are talking about having a great experience and who seem to be getting their guitars "next week". Take from that what you will... :shrug:

ikarus

Reaction score
No, but like it's been seen with several other derelict builders it's always people with less than ten posts here who are talking about having a great experience and who seem to be getting their guitars "next week". Take from that what you will... :shrug:

THIS!!!

straymond

Reaction score
Aren't admins able to check that out with IP-adresses and such, to see if they are unique users?

Matte

Reaction score
lol Talk about conspiracy theories. "Who's the mole here?!!!"

Perhaps people with positive experiences comment less frequently because they have their instrument and don't care about build order or other such things anymore? I know once mine arrives I won't be on here very much.

Also, I always intended to make a SS account but the fact that I wanted to post some positive feedback amongst all the negative just gave me the reason to finally make it. I'm lazy, what can I say?

Vicious7

Vegetables
Reaction score
I emailed Marty last night while i was at work, he replied, literally 5 minutes later with some....ah words. I don't think I should post the reply here, it'd seem poor taste...but.

He said mine is pretty much ready to go though, so I guess another year of wait?

Ranx

Reaction score
" I haven t disappeared or gone bad like Bernie Rico has. So I don t really get what the drama is all about "

You haven t disappeared ( yet ) but you have FAILED. The drama ??? You don t see the drama ? You want me to tell you the drama Marty ? Really ? ...

foreright

Reaction score
[a] "you've had my build in the queue for near 30 months"
"I don't really get what the drama's about"

Words fail me they really do...

ETA: I work in a corporate environment and if I EVER responded to a customer complaint / comment that something had taken many times longer than it was scheduled to with a response like that I would be sacked on the spot.

Without being too melodramatic, this kind of response / attitude should NEVER reach a paying customer regardless of how you feel. It's extremely unprofessional and is the kind of thing that can cause irreparable damage to a business - see "Ratners" for a good example of this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Ratner) ;)

')