Signal chain question: ts9 -> clean boost or vice versa?

• Thread starter zilla
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zilla

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I've been using a tube screamer with a DIY analog man silver mod forever.

Recently I got a clean boost pedal that has a high impedance input and low impedance output.

Should I run the clean boost before or after the tube screamer? I know that I should run "whatever sounds best" but I want to know what will match the impedances properly.

I've tried looking online but couldn't find anything.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarOfAttrition

Reaction score
You don't need to match impedances with pedals, dude. Only impedance issue I can think of in pedals is putting a buffer before a fuzz. I'd put the clean boost after for a solo boost.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
clean boosts go in the fx loop :yesway:

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^I never loop clean boosts, it depends what you want it for though.

All 'buffered' circuits have high input impedance low output impedance. Running low impedance signal into high impedance is fine, you only have to match high to high to avoid loading. So actually, just put whatever has the better quality buffer stage. Tubescreamer input buffers are generally pretty good, but I don't know what your clean boost is. So if your clean boost is a decent brand, put it first, that'd be my preference anyway, if it does appear to suck tone try the TS first.

Buffers add current to voltage driven signals (V=IR, fixed V and high R means low I), think of an electric signal as like a ball rolling, voltage is how fast the ball is rolling, current how much it weighs or how big it is. If you want to keep a ball rolling at the same speed over rough ground (resistance) adding size and weight makes it less easy for the resistance to slow it down.

So scientifically inaccurate, but I like it as an analogy :lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I put mine in my loop because if it's out front, it's more of an overdrive pedal and not a true "clean boost" (MXR Micro Amp). When it's in the fx loop, it simply increases volume (leads).

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Yeah that makes perfect sense, I use clean boosts when I want more push from the amp, but when I don't want the band-pass filtering or clipping of a boost :yesway:

No right or wrong way :)

')