Signature guitars. Discuss.

• Thread starter SnowfaLL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Signature guitars are fine. Think about it. How many people on this forum have bought a guitar, amp, pickup or pedal to try and get someone's tone? I would guess almost all of us.

I like other people's tone, but I've never tried to clone someone else's. I don't know shit about EQ'ing or anything really, I literally fuck with knobs until I get something usable, then save it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Fuck, I also play a Mesa cab. Thus, Jar Jar binks has godly tone.

:lol: Classic!

I like other people's tone, but I've never tried to clone someone else's. I don't know shit about EQ'ing or anything really, I literally fuck with knobs until I get something usable, then save it.

You can incorporate aspects of other people's tones/styles into your own music without emulating every last detail. It's a cliche to say it, but...

'Stealing from one person is plagiarism, stealing from many is research...'

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Signature guitars are fine. Think about it. How many people on this forum have bought a guitar, amp, pickup or pedal to try and get someone's tone? I would guess almost all of us.

I bought a Pod to get bulb's tone, if that counts. :lol:

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
I bought a Pod to get bulb's tone, if that counts. :lol:

:rofl:

I actually did. :noplease:

Should I be ashamed?

And when i saw he recorded it with his EBMM, i never thought "uh-oh, boring shred approaches!"

Did i do something wrong? Maybe some of us aren't so keen on that whole thing...

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I will be a proud fanboy if the Xiphos ever comes out in a 7-string version :hbang: Then the crowd would not be wrong to assume that I am a Muhammed fanboy and I have no shame in that.

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I'm a big fan of signiature gear.

It seems that just about every guitar I want these days is someone's signiature...

Petrucci's EBMM
Vai's Universe
Munky's Apex1
Stephen Carpenter's ESP 7 string

Out of those guys, Petrucci is the only one who's had any kind of influence on my playing, and even then it's the likes of Chuck Schuldiner and Marty Friedman who've had the biggest impact on my playing.

So why do I dig signiature gear? I don't know, they seem to get it right more so than the regular models.

Mind you right now, the K-7 is the only signiature guitar I have (Unless you count the Stealth, but that's really my own signiature model) and I've also got a Mark Tremonti wah. I don't like either artist, but their gear seems to suit me. ;)

So if someone's going to see me playing a K-7 and think I'm a Korn fan without hearing me play, I'd rather lose that one audience member than the guitar.

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh yeah, my favourite pickups are signiature ones too, DiMarzio Evolution (Vai) and Lundgren M7 (Meshugga). ;)

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
I have an Epi Zakk guitar, and it's fun to play on. I'm a Zakk fan, but you'd be able to tell that from my playing, not what guitar I use. As a matter of fact, I've only played the Zakk on stage once, and I play the Randy all the time, yet my style of playing sounds more like Hetfield/Schaffer/Zakk than it does Randy at all. So take that for what it's worth.

Anyways, now that I have a Rhino Linered guitar, that's MY signature model! LOL

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
So since i have a Rhoads V does that mean i'm going to die on a airstrip in Florida? :lol:

If it did it would all the more reason not to buy a John "Stumpy" Pepys signature drum kit.

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think people here are being a little bit hard on Nick, and not really reading what he's saying.

The way I read it is not that he'll judge people by signiature gear, but that some people do judge people in this way, and he'd rather not be judged.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
How many of you guys like the tone of the Duncan JB? How many people know that the "JB" actually stands for Jeff Beck? It's right up there with the Les Paul and the 5150 as pieces of signature gear that have stood the test of time and become valuable tools for musicians of all different types.

I don't even think of my EBMM JP7 as a signature model guitar, because i've never really listened to Dream Theater, haven't modeled any part of my playing or tone after Petrucci, and i think 90% of people i say, "It's a John Petrucci model" to, respond with something like, "John PeWHOcci?" And i think you'll find that outside of guitarist circles, nobody can identify one guitarist's signature instrument from another, and frankly, nobody gives a rat's ass.

The JP7 is the first signature guitar i've ever owned, and the only reason(s) i bought it were: magnetic/piezo, build quality, tone and playability.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
darren said:
How many of you guys like the tone of the Duncan JB? How many people know that the "JB" actually stands for Jeff Beck?
Actualy according to Duncan it stands for Jazzy/Bluesy. Yeah I don't believe it either. :lol:

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
wow, I'm actually kind of sorry I read this whole thread, but hey, you gotta do something while you're at work :lol:

My favorite playing guitar I've ever owned is my K7, and I've never owned a Korn album in my life; just not my preferred music, and I guess I don't buy too many CD's...that being said, I'd prefer if it didn't have the K7 inlay, but not because I think people will identify it with Korn, but moreso because it just plain looks dumb :lol:

...and who the hell cares even if the entire crowd knows you are playing somebody elses sig? My goal would be to have the crowd saying "That guy is playing a Korn sig guitar...why the hell doesn't Korn play more like him?" :lol:

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I think people here are being a little bit hard on Nick, and not really reading what he's saying.

The way I read it is not that he'll judge people by signiature gear, but that some people do judge people in this way, and he'd rather not be judged.

Wow, someone who gets it!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, someone who gets it!

Actually I "got it" on page two... the point is do you really give a damn about the 2 guitarists in the crowd who realize you're playing a Vai or Petrucci sig and actually worry about that more than what you're playing? I certainly wouldn't limit my equipment selection based on what a miniscule number of wanky bastards might think.

')