Signature guitars. Discuss.

• Thread starter SnowfaLL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, Flaw was one of the greatest and still is one of the greatest influences in my music, yet the main guitarist Lance, plays a Universe 99% of the time. that and a 1077XL, but uh im working on getting that one right now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
The thing is, a lot of signature gear kicks ass.

Ibanez JEMs
Yngwie Malmsteen Strats
Ibanez PGMs
Peavey 5150
Duncan JB
DiMarzio Evolution
Lundgren M7
Dime CFH wah
DOD YJM308 OD

That being said, if I see anyone with the confederate navy jack graphic, I assume they're a dumbass unless proved otherwise. It's the symbol of the one event in US history that almost tore the nation apart (really, it did). It's a symbol of slavery, Jim Crow, forced segregation, treason, thousands of lives lost arbitrarily, and ultimately, defeat. Misplaced sectionalistic pride at it's worst.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
do you really give a damn about the 2 guitarists in the crowd who realize you're playing a Vai or Petrucci sig and actually worry about that more than what you're playing? I certainly wouldn't limit my equipment selection based on what a miniscule number of wanky bastards might think.

:agreed:

Enmesarra

Reaction score
I don't really care about it as long as it has a reasonable price. For example I would never pay 10000 $ to a KH-20, I would prefer having a custom built guitar (like Ran, let's say), that is unique and only for me, and I can put the exact specs on it too, if I want. I can even have an ESP custom like that and still have a lot of money left for kick-ass heads & cabs & stuff. But a KV-2, or JEM or guitars like that really deserve their price and it's OK for me.

jufob

Banned
Reaction score
"Symbols" don't harm people which is why I don't react to them thereby avoiding anti-social behavior reinforcement, however "cymbals" when thrown like a frisbee could be dangerous; but if it is labeled with a swastika, pentagram, southern-cross or whatever, really, will it make any difference?

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
IMHO and maybe someone other opinion. Usinga signatureguitar, some times, it's because the signatures are coolers than the normal ones, so we select the signatures, and because a lot of time it comes with nice pups,nice bridge, etc.

I think that's a thing that all thepeople think (here). I like a lot of signature guitars, most of them because that they are exellent guitars ( K7, UV, JEM, etc).

Thats it's whati think.
(

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
IMO, Flaw was one of the greatest and still is one of the greatest influences in my music, yet the main guitarist Lance, plays a Universe 99% of the time. that and a 1077XL, but uh im working on getting that one right now.

Lance also had a really nice custom done for him. I think I have a pic of it somewhere. I don't care about sigs at all. If it works for you, use it. A sig doesn't pigeon hole you.

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
Fuck, I also play a Mesa cab. Thus, Jar Jar binks has godly tone.

:rofl:

I personally have no problem with playing a signature instrument. Although I do understand Nick's point, I think it shouldn't be that hard to disprove any doubters/haters once you start playing, so that shouldn't keep you from getting good gear. I don't think that you should get something just because someone endorses it either, as endorsements usually don't say anything about the product.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The fact is most of the high end production model 7s you can get are signature models (Universe, K7, ESP Carpenters, Jackson COW, Yamaha Ryan Shuck 7, Schecter Loomis, etc). So it's just hard to avoid getting a signature sometimes if you want a reallly ncie guitar like that.

NDG

Contributor
Reaction score
My 2 cents (which is basically a reiteration of other posts lawl)

Personally I don't have an issue with using someone's sig. I'd drive myself nuts if I was trying to be the individual. I certainly believe people should exercise creativity, but I don't find it wrong to have similarities to another person/band. Maybe I'm naive, but I feel as long as a person is sincere and dedicated to his music, people (as a whole) will understand and respect him. I can only speak for myself, but all the bands I loathe seem dishonest in the manner they conduct themselves. With that said, there are plenty of bands that aren't my cup of tea, but I respect because they seem genuine.

I kind of feel like there's a certain amount of vanity in trying to be the unique rockstar. I feel like any effort to change one's image to appease someone else is betrayal to the self. With music, some people will get it; others won't. I'd be grateful for the ones that do, but not sweat the ones that don't. What I'd hope to bring out of an audience isn't that different from a friendship: maybe a litte understanding, empathy, or simply a good time. If my first concern with music was to achieve praise or acceptance, then I would be losing sight of who I am and what I love about music.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
not everyone has the money to get a custom instrument speced to what they want...
and not everyone uses your typical guitar
in the case of the 7 string that usually leaves us with the K7 or the UV.

is it wrong of me to rather be branded a 'vai-wannabe' than someone who has anything to do with Korn?
(note: if there was no K7 inlay i would have bought the guitar)

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The fact is most of the high end production model 7s you can get are signature models (Universe, K7, ESP Carpenters, Jackson COW, Yamaha Ryan Shuck 7, Schecter Loomis, etc). So it's just hard to avoid getting a signature sometimes if you want a reallly ncie guitar like that.

Nick wins the thread.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
The two guitars I want most right now are the UV777BK and the EBMM JP7, but I'm not really a Steve Vai fan or a John Petrucci fan. I like both of them, but neither of them are in my top 20 favorite guitarists list. I want those guitars because they are AWESOME guitars. I don't really consider the universe to be a Steve Vai guitar and, in my mind, I don't consider the Petrucci 7 to be a Petrucci guitar (even though technically it is).

I've owned 2 Les Pauls so far. Does that make me a Les Paul fanboy? I've only heard like 1 song by Les Paul in my entire life. What about guitarists like Jimmy Page who completely made the Les Paul THEIR guitar? How many people back in 1968 were looking at Jimmy Page and thinking "the loser's a complete Les Paul clone? He should get his own style"? :nuts:

I think you summarized it up well.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
My two comments, with no attempt at tact.

1.) Nick (Cormier, not Zimbloth, if Zimbloth is in fact his real name, which it probably isn't) is a moron.

2.) My main seven is a Universe. Anyone who hears me play and thinks I'm a Vai clone has issues. I play the Universe because the "vibe" of the guitar is right, and if someone wants to write me off based on that, that's their issue, not mine.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
By playing 7s wouldn't we ALL have to be fans of Napolen Coste?

Wiki- Seven-string guitar said:
French guitarist Napoleon Coste (1805-1883) composed works with a seven-string guitar specifically in mind.

Heavy Ed

singlecoil goodness
Reaction score
WOW! What a thread! I've never thought anything about playing a sig. Its just another guitar (usually better than the standard model its based on). I have 2 UVs and the last thing anyone would accuse me of is sounding or trying to be like Vai!:lol: To be honest I've never been a huge Vai fan. I have an album or two and I absolutely respect the mans playing, but his guitar design ideas have influenced me more than his playing. I've personnally never heard anyone (guitarist or not) say anything about some one playing a sig.:scratch:

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score

That's exactly what I was going to say.

jarrydn

G'day mate D:
Reaction score
I didn't even know the Universe was Steve Vai's signature guitar until I read this thread D:

Seriously...I just thought it was a name Ibanez used for a few of their 7-strings.

')