Signature guitars. Discuss.

• Thread starter SnowfaLL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nikt

LACS Lover
Reaction score
Does anyone know anyone who uses sigs besides Dimebags, Vais, or Carpenters? It seems like there's a shitload of sigs made but I never see anyone using them.

Vai uses EVH phase 90

steve_G_large.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
I play the UV cause i like how it feels and i like how it looks. I could care less about that signature stuff. I cant stand Korn, but their guitar is awesome, and i'd play it.

I totally agree with you :yesway:

if someone tries a guitar & it feels ,sound ,play and most of all stays in tune :lol:
never mind the last part :scream:

then by allmeans buy the fuckin guitar ,Signature or not screw those stupid comments :agreed: :lol: :metal:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Does anyone know anyone who uses sigs besides Dimebags, Vais, or Carpenters? It seems like there's a shitload of sigs made but I never see anyone using them.

Pete Townsend's main guitar these days is a Clapton model strat with piezos added.
I think Joni Mitchell used to gig with a George Benson Ibanez for a while ('Shadows and Light' period).
Charlie Griffith from Linear Sphere uses a Petrucci model seven.
Shaun Baxter (UK fusion god) plays an Yngwie model strat.
Jerry Cantrell's been spotted before with an EVH model Music Man (a gift from Eddie), and has been gigging with a Schenker model Dean V.
Tony MacAlpine's 'Master of Paradise' album cover shows him with a Peavey Wolfgang.
Terry Syrek plays virtually nothing but Randy Rhoads Jacksons.

Bit of trivia...the Jackson King V that Dave Mustaine made famous was originally designed for Robbin Crosby from Ratt, so technically that's using someone else's signature guitar (to the extent that most people think it's his design!).

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
What I meant was any ordinary Joes like us using sigs besides Vai's, Carpenter's, and Dime's.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
The thing is, a lot of signature gear kicks ass.

That being said, if I see anyone with the confederate navy jack graphic, I assume they're a dumbass unless proved otherwise. It's the symbol of the one event in US history that almost tore the nation apart (really, it did). It's a symbol of slavery, Jim Crow, forced segregation, treason, thousands of lives lost arbitrarily, and ultimately, defeat. Misplaced sectionalistic pride at it's worst.

I'd say that generalization makes you just as much of a "dumbass" as them.

Yes it is commonly associated with racism, but it is NOT a symbol of racism.

It's meant to say "Yes I am from the South and no I will not be ashamed of our history."

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that after all they were just looking out for their best interests.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
And let's not forget the Les Paul, which a good number of people here own. ;)

Someone mentioned that on the first page of this thread. That is the original signature model. Les Paul gets a royalty for every LP sale to this day.

Heavy Ed

singlecoil goodness
Reaction score
1) I can't believe this silly thread is still going!:scratch:
2) Some comments here seem to try to make a point when there is none to be made.
The topic: Do you own a sig? YES. Do you feel it impedes you from forging your own identity? NO.
Every piece of gear I own I chose because I like it. Yes some things I tried because of artist use or endorsement, but I never bought it til I tried it for myself.
I apologize if I sound like a dick, but if I worried what people thought about me playing a signature anything, I'd go find a shrink!
Oh yes and Les Pauls are the 1st double sig guitars with the Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, Zakk Wylde, etc etc.. signature Les Pauls.:lol: :lol:

Play what you love brothers and fuck everything else!

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I used to have a Reb Beach RB-1 koa topped with emg's. Awesome guitar and I had no issues knowing that that the namesake played in Winger.

B Lopez

Vescere bracis meis.
Reaction score
Personally, I didnt even know the Universe was a sig untill I came to this site. Take what you will of that. And I personally see if someone else is using a sig as a way to connect kinda, like "Hey Im a fan too" or whatever ya know?

Someone mentioned that on the first page of this thread. That is the original signature model. Les Paul gets a royalty for every LP sale to this day.

Good god he must be raking in some dough. :eek:

GiantBaba

omnicidal godmachine
Contributor
Reaction score
Yup, that would be my beloved V220...

WAIT, HOLY SHIT IT HAS ANOTHER STRING, YOU FOUND THIS AT THE CARVIN MUSEUM:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ??????

It's a Carvin neck-through blank + custom body, but I'm sure you already figured that out.

I was going through the Carvin Museum page right after reading your post, saw that guitar and figured you'd be interested. I wasn't trying to get your hopes up or anything, I just thought you'd like to know that a V227 does exist, in a way.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Good god he must be raking in some dough. :eek:

He is also the father of multi-track recording, chorus, and delay, has a slew of number one hits, and hosted his own TV show with his wife. Les Paul is one of those rare guys who completely changed the world of music.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
He is also the father of multi-track recording, chorus, and delay, has a slew of number one hits, and hosted his own TV show with his wife. Les Paul is one of those rare guys who completely changed the world of music.

He still kicks ass as well. He plays every week at the bar down the road from where he lives, and apparently he's had absolutely everybody in there to jam with him at some stage. He was one of the guys who first encouraged John 5 to do a solo album after one of those jams...

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score

:agreed:

It's alleged that the Les Paul was taken out of production (it is said that Les didn't like the twin cutaway SG shape that was introduced as the LP model in the early 60's) because it meant he didn't have to pay as much in the divorce settlement to Mary Ford...

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
^ That certainly may have been part of it, but the truth of the matter is the Les Paul wasn't selling well at all. In 1961, they introduced it with a radically new body shape (the SG), which Les Paul hated.

A few years later, guys like Eric Clapton and Mike Bloomfield made the Les Paul a must have item. All the of clamouring led them to reintroduce it in 1967.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
this is a great thread nick, i have often wondered the same thing, i had a dime 333 in dimeslime green, i loved the play on the guitar, i ended up hacking the one peice off and made it a v cuz for one, i didnt want to have to visit the chiropracter after playing it, and second, i really feel like i'm a unique individual and i should have a guitar to compliment that, but if your a killer guitarist, i dont think it will make a differance, say scar symmetry started playing detuned dime 333's, no one would associate their playing style with dimes

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
:agreed: It was intended to be a jazz instrument, more or less, but the jazz guys just weren't going for it. It was only when Clapton plugged one into a Marshall combo and cranked the think up that suddenly the higher output of a LP became desireable.

Latest posts

')