Signature guitars. Discuss.

• Thread starter SnowfaLL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
In regards to signatures, I have to admit I'd never use another artist's model for several reasons. It's their tone, their look.. not mine.

Considering the fact that I am a guitar instrumentalist who plays an Ibanez, it's very easily to label me as a "Vai," or a "Satriani." I do my best to have my own sense of individuality when it comes to music, image and performance. Things like that are what set apart instrumentalists from those guys. All that stuff's already been beautifully done by guys such as Vai and Satch for instance.

The Jem that Vai uses, (EVO) is HIS voice, HIS image, HIS specifications for HIS playing style. Same goes with any artist who has a signature model. Not to say that someone shouldnt get a sign because it's another aritsts voice... because I have seen some fuggin MONSTER players who are able to manipulate a signature guitar and make it their own.

But for me, I couldnt do it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's a fairly good point, Angel, but the sad reality is that as a seven string guitarist, there's really just not that much variety out there for quality guitars, if you're not prepared to go custom.

All else equal, if I'm given the choice between a signature guitar, and a similarly spec'd and similar quality non-signature, I'd probably go for the non-signature version, too. However, your options are really pretty limited. I grabbed my Universe partly because, well, partly because shit'd just fallen apart for me with this girl and I always find myself wanting to buy a new guitar and binge-practice when that happens, and partly because I'd fallen for a beat-all-to-hell white '71 Telecaster a month before that sold before I could weaken enough to spend the $1100 they were asking for a six string. Then, this UV pops up, and, well, I'm a sucker for an abused white guitar.

I kept it because it really did kick the crap out of my 7620.

If I could find a non-signature seven that felt, played, and looked as good as my PWH does, then I'd consider it. For now, I'm pretty attached to this particular guitar, so I'm not even trying to look. And honestly, the only thing out there that could tempt me off the top of my head is the JP7, which is another signature guitar.

Had I been a six stringer, would I have ever purchased a Jem, instead of a UV? Probably not, they've just never appealed to me, and part of that is because there's about 30 RG alternatives to the Jem in Ibanez's current production line. Had there been 30 different sevens I could look at, I might not have bought a Universe. :lol:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Like i said before, the reason why i got the UV was cause i liked the look and the playability of it. Nothing to do with Vai.
However, if i were a 6 string player, i'd be playing neon yellow RG550s, 540S's and Ibanez USA Custom Shops from the early 90s. But we dont have anything like that for 7s...

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
I think I'd get a UV. I try to find somethin' unique in every RG I get. I usually do some work on each of my axes too.

Grant it, the UV is a Vai Signature- but it's not something he uses on stage EVER, i dont think anyway.

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
That's a fairly good point, Angel, but the sad reality is that as a seven string guitarist, there's really just not that much variety out there for quality guitars, if you're not prepared to go custom.

All else equal, if I'm given the choice between a signature guitar, and a similarly spec'd and similar quality non-signature, I'd probably go for the non-signature version, too. However, your options are really pretty limited. I grabbed my Universe partly because, well, partly because shit'd just fallen apart for me with this girl and I always find myself wanting to buy a new guitar and binge-practice when that happens, and partly because I'd fallen for a beat-all-to-hell white '71 Telecaster a month before that sold before I could weaken enough to spend the $1100 they were asking for a six string. Then, this UV pops up, and, well, I'm a sucker for an abused white guitar.

I kept it because it really did kick the crap out of my 7620.

If I could find a non-signature seven that felt, played, and looked as good as my PWH does, then I'd consider it. For now, I'm pretty attached to this particular guitar, so I'm not even trying to look. And honestly, the only thing out there that could tempt me off the top of my head is the JP7, which is another signature guitar.

Had I been a six stringer, would I have ever purchased a Jem, instead of a UV? Probably not, they've just never appealed to me, and part of that is because there's about 30 RG alternatives to the Jem in Ibanez's current production line. Had there been 30 different sevens I could look at, I might not have bought a Universe. :lol:

I agree man. the 7's are definitely limited at an affordable range. The one signature that makes my prostate weak would be Rusty's sign. Ibanez.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
If they made the Universe with the disappearing pyramid inlays and took the name off the headstock, I'd still buy it. The Signature on the headstock doesn't kill a guitar for me... I play what I want with it and if it sounds good then that's great. Worrying about what signature is on your headstock makes no sense to me. The guitar is an instrument, it will sound exactly the same with or without that little writing on the headstock! :agreed: Plus, if it's something on the headstock you can just sand it down and repaint it or add a headstock veneer and *BAM*, it's now YOUR signature model. Problem solved. :fawk: :lol:

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
It's a Carvin neck-through blank + custom body, but I'm sure you already figured that out.

I was going through the Carvin Museum page right after reading your post, saw that guitar and figured you'd be interested. I wasn't trying to get your hopes up or anything, I just thought you'd like to know that a V227 does exist, in a way.

No it's cool. It's good to see it exist. If nothing else it's a pic to show to someone who could maybe build one.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I agree man. the 7's are definitely limited at an affordable range.

When you think about it, it's wierd considering the number of teenagers who were into nu-metal. You'd think most of the big guitar companies would have wanted to capitalise on that and make some sevens 14 year olds could convince their parents to buy...

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
I think I'd get a UV. I try to find somethin' unique in every RG I get. I usually do some work on each of my axes too.

Grant it, the UV is a Vai Signature- but it's not something he uses on stage EVER, i dont think anyway.

To Angel: Thanks for saying in few sentences what I could bareliy get out in a paragraph and a half of rambling (something about those late night post responses, but I digress...).

However, I disagree about the UV being a Vai sig, we (may) understand the history of the UV because in essence we're guitar geeks, but the UV stopped being a sig for Vai for the exact reason you mentioned above, he doesn't play them. His inconsistent use of the UV caused, at least in a small way, public perspective of the brand associated with that guitar to shift to someone else. For iinstance, when I see a black UV with green pickups, I'm more likely to think of Trey from Morbid Angel, before I think of Vai.

When you think about it, it's wierd considering the number of teenagers who were into nu-metal. You'd think most of the big guitar companies would have wanted to capitalise on that and make some sevens 14 year olds could convince their parents to buy...

Actually they did, around the turn of the Millenium. Most of the big guitar compaines around the time where cranking out 7 strings models of some sort. Even Fender has a 7 string Squire, which actually wasn't that bad, save for the bat sized neck and squirrelly cosmetics. I knew the end was coming when ESP started to introduce midlevel models like the 307 series, and those poor guitars just sat on the racks for months. They just wouldn't move, too bad too, they were killer.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Actually they did, around the turn of the Millenium. Most of the big guitar compaines around the time where cranking out 7 strings models of some sort. Even Fender has a 7 string Squire, which actually wasn't that bad, save for the bat sized neck and squirrelly cosmetics. I knew the end was coming when ESP started to introduce midlevel models like the 307 series, and those poor guitars just sat on the racks for months. They just wouldn't move, too bad too, they were killer.

Actually, you're right. I once saw one of those Squier sevens in a music store and contemplated getting it as a back-up guitar, as it looked very nice for the price. I got my first seven at a huge discount about the time they started going out of fashion...

')