Similar to Cynic?

• Thread starter gui94
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
Gordian Knot perhaps? A Sean Malone project, and features all of the other cynic guys on various tracks. Also, check out some or Cynic's influences: The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Allan Holdsworth, etc.

guitareben

Reaction score
As said before, Exivious and planet x. Planet x aren't THAT similar, but they are superb band (listen to alien hip hop).

Anyway, I just thought I would say these two again just so you don't miss em ^^

(you can listen to the entire exivious album from their site too :) ) (and planet x is on spotify (however for some reason there is an album from some other band under the name of planet x XD . It isn't them :p (some S/D thing....))

Other than that, don't really know :) . Everyone else has posted lots anyway so you got loads to listen too XD .

ArrowHead

Reaction score
Indukti

It's like if Cynic and Tool did some HEAVY drugs, and did gay yoga style man love together.

Listen to as many tracks as you can. The music constantly shifts and changes. From the heaviest chuggiest shit to trippy weird stuff. It's pretty intense.

This one is my favorite:

Reaction score
Damn, this thread was something I had been searching for b4 I joined sso.
WoOt!
Me likey :agreed::yesway::yesway::yesway:

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
Indukti

It's like if Cynic and Tool did some HEAVY drugs, and did gay yoga style man love together.

Listen to as many tracks as you can. The music constantly shifts and changes. From the heaviest chuggiest shit to trippy weird stuff. It's pretty intense.

This one is my favorite:

I love Indukti especially their first album S.U.S.A.R where Mariusz Duda of Riverside handles the vocals.

I think the closest band to Cynic imo is Spiral Architect. A Sceptics Universe smokes.

PTP

Reaction score
All of the main ones have already been mentioned - Martyr, Exivious, Direwolf. Also Obscura have a lot of Cynic influence.

There's an awesome semi-local band called Exist that would fit the description.

And of course my band Crossing The Event Horizon is super Cynic-influenced, with a more prominent rhythmic element and more blatant Holdsworth worship.

mithologian

Reaction score
I dont know if they where mentioned but I didnt see any videos of them on here. What amazes me the most is the fact that they achieve that vocoder effect just by doing harmonies, as oposed to using a vocoder.

ArrowHead

Reaction score
Cynic doesn't use a vocoder. It's a digitech vocal harmony pedal.

Thus why it sounds similar.

guitareben

Reaction score
+ 872682*10^23784623874 to Planet X and Exivious, they are so good!

Also check out these (quite unknown) guys (like, really check them out)

I've been really really getting into these guys recently (Seriously, you HAVE to check them out! :D )

PTP

Reaction score
Cynic doesn't use a vocoder. It's a digitech vocal harmony pedal.

Thus why it sounds similar.

Actually they did use a vocoder on Focus and for live shows during that era.

They now use a TC Helicon VoiceLive.

ArrowHead

Reaction score
Actually they did use a vocoder on Focus and for live shows during that era.

They now use a TC Helicon VoiceLive.

eh, I guess.

It was the digitech vocalist pedal, but I guess it IS a vocoder. I did not realize, but the growl singer was actually controlling it via keyboard. I thought it was just a harmonized preset, didn't realize there was a legit vocoder option in the Vocalist.

My mistake.

However, the point I meant was that the reason the Cynic vocals can be reproduced with just harmonies is because that's mostly all they are. It sounds like on Wheels Within Wheels there's several parts where Paul just sings the harmony instead of using the effect (although the effect is on other parts in the same song.)

')