Singers who developed vocal-cord problems

• Thread starter Metaguitarist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
laBrie fucked his shit up during the Awake touring cycle I think.

Despite all of the vocal coaches his voice has never recovered its earlier power.

Actually, what happened was he was in Cuba on vacation. He got food poisoning and became violently ill, and in the course of vomiting, ruptured his vocal cords.

I think it *was* technically during the Awake touring cycle, but the incident itself had nothing to do with touring or singing.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Adele already had vocal chord problems, real shame.
Hope it doesn't get worse.

As for Oli Sykes, that guy is fucked.
His studio performances are great, but live and everywhere
else is another story. You've gotta take care of your voice man.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Phil Labonte, right after The Fall of Ideals.

Fall of Ideals Phil and Two Weeks, which sounds great on record IMO.

Same song live

It's a damn shame, you can tell his voice is tired out and really worn over the years. And he destroyed on everything before Overcome. But this new record that just came out is lame.

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
Phil Labonte, right after The Fall of Ideals.

Fall of Ideals Phil

Same song live

It's a damn shame, he destroyed on everything before Overcome. But this new record that just came out is lame.

Jesus Christ, he's a terrible live vocalist. Not to mention one of the number 1 pricks in all of metalcore.

Bloodbath Salt

Title-less
Reaction score
The screamer from 3 inches of blood raped his vocals and had to quit.

I was wonder why I didn't hear him in their newer stuff.

Metallica tunes to E flat live to compensate for vocal cords.

If Lemmy damaged his vocal cords it'd be impossible to tell.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
whoa........Phil.... :facepalm:

thanks for quoting a huge comment just a few spots up

Huge is quite the overstatement when most NGDs on here exceed even the length of a full page of posts at time lol.

But considering that I made it a tad smaller.

But yes, Phil's views on just about anything suck. So that doesn't help anyone really like him as a person outside of his music.

If you really want to get into that, go take a look at his Facebook. Since this isn't the thread for that, I won't mention anymore haha.

benduncan

Reaction score
as a singer this thread scares me.:eek:

im sure if youre touring none stop its unavoidable, but is their anyway to try to avoid permanently altering the sound of your voice? i have a voice coach and i know how to sing from my diaphragm correctly, but they all probably had better coaches than i do so..

:ugh:

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
i don't know if it's a matter of coaches. The fashion of "growling" is still pretty new, I mean, we don't have a single exemple of a 70 year old that can growl after a 40 years career.
It's entirely possible that this kind of singing is just damaging and that those who can carry it longer suffer less damage, but damage still.

Also, remember that rock singers do expose themselves more: when Pavarotti had a cold, he canceled his representations. Last time I saw Ozzy he was sick to death but played his show anyway (was awful...)
Makes sense Ozzy's voice is shot at 70.

troyguitar

Reaction score
as a singer this thread scares me.:eek:

im sure if youre touring none stop its unavoidable, but is their anyway to try to avoid permanently altering the sound of your voice? i have a voice coach and i know how to sing from my diaphragm correctly, but they all probably had better coaches than i do so..

:ugh:

A lot of guys actually didn't get any training until after they hurt themselves. Klaus Meine, for example, didn't start learning how to sing properly until after needing surgery. Then he went from being good to being one of the best rock singers ever.

downburst82

Reaction score
Schylar from he is legend is the one that always stands out for me. He destroyed his voice after the "I am hollwood" album. They still carried on and he does ok now but if you listen to before and after his range has been at least cut his half. He cant do soaring cleans anymore..just the gritty throaty singing..which is ok..but he used to have my fav voice in the world so its a little sad :/

before

He is Legend - ...Best in Mexico - YouTube
after

He Is Legend - Attack Of The Dungeon Witch - YouTube

Latest posts

')