Single Channel Amp into pseudo 2 Channel?

• Thread starter Obstsalat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Obstsalat

Reaction score
would this work? I have a single channel amp with an FX loop. Lets say I use a distorted sound on the amp.

Guitar > A/B switch > first out > OD pedal > input of the amp
> second out > a clean preamp pedal > FX return

So I want the A/B switch to function as a channel select if that makes sense
Anybody tried that before?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

klinic

Reaction score
would this work? I have a single channel amp with an FX loop. Lets say I use a distorted sound on the amp.

Guitar > A/B switch > first out > OD pedal > input of the amp
> second out > a clean preamp pedal > FX return

So I want the A/B switch to function as a channel select if that makes sense
Anybody tried that before?

Yep, it works. I remember asking this same question about the Orange Dark Terror and I don't think I got a response so I never ended up doing it. But I do this all the time with my amp and axe-fx switching between using the preamp of my amp and preamp models in the axe-fx. The concept is almost exactly the same with a preamp pedal rather than the axe fx. The only difference is that I have the preamp in the effects loop of my unit so I can bypass it and use effects but I can also have effects after the preamp if I want to.

Your setup might be a little more tricky if you want both preamps (the amps and the clean pedals) to go into the same effects chain after the split as you'd need to go

Code:
Guitar > A/B switch > first out > OD pedal >  amp V
                     > second out > a clean preamp > EQ > Delay >  FX return

For example. You'd need another pedal to merge the signals back together before the FX Loop chain.

This might work better. Both preamps will have inputs at all time, but you just choose which one gets muted before getting to the poweramp.

Code:
Guitar > Y-Slitter  > first out > OD pedal >  amp > A/B switch V
                     > second out > clean preamp> A/B switch > EQ > Delay >  FX return

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Check out the Boss LS-2 line selector pedal. A while back I was thinking of using one with my 6505 and a Bassman style clean preamp pedal to have essentially a 3 channel amp and that was the easiest and most cost effective solution I found. Otherwise you will need two ABY splitters, which can lead to signal loss and/or ground loop noise if you don't get high quality ones, which would cost more than the one LS-2 anyway :2c:

klinic

Reaction score
LS-2 looks pretty perfect for this!
Code:
                 Loop A > OD pedal >  amp V
Guitar > LS-2 in                               > EQ > Delay >  FX return
                  Loop B > clean preamp>    ^

vick1000

Reaction score
If you only have the B side going to the FX return, you might not get anything to the power amp when using just the A side. You may need the FX send getting to the return somehow to get the A side to the power amp when something is plugged into the return.

klinic

Reaction score
If you only have the B side going to the FX return, you might not get anything to the power amp when using just the A side. You may need the FX send getting to the return somehow to get the A side to the power amp when something is plugged into the return.
There's one output on the LS-2 and you can choose which loop comes out of it so that's not a problem. So both loops are plugged in and you just choose which one is muted. Or you can combine them. Lots of options.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Options:

1. two channel amp.

2. Clean amp, dirt pedal(s).

3. Dirty amp, roll back the volume for clean.

4. Dirty amp, come up with crazy cable method (like a preamp in the loop) for cleans.

I'm a fan of the right tool for the job. If you want a good clean tone, get an amp with a good clean tone. Some people use the 4CM to overcome shortcomings, but finding the right amp eliminates that hassle.

Obstsalat

Reaction score
Options:

1. two channel amp.

2. Clean amp, dirt pedal(s).

3. Dirty amp, roll back the volume for clean.

4. Dirty amp, come up with crazy cable method (like a preamp in the loop) for cleans.

I'm a fan of the right tool for the job. If you want a good clean tone, get an amp with a good clean tone. Some people use the 4CM to overcome shortcomings, but finding the right amp eliminates that hassle.

I'm not getting another amp, since I'm superhappy with my Jim Root Terror and yeah...just wondered if there's another method than rolling the volume back. I don't need a particularly good clean tone...Just a tone wihtout distortion will do

Check out the Boss LS-2 line selector pedal. A while back I was thinking of using one with my 6505 and a Bassman style clean preamp pedal to have essentially a 3 channel amp and that was the easiest and most cost effective solution I found. Otherwise you will need two ABY splitters, which can lead to signal loss and/or ground loop noise if you don't get high quality ones, which would cost more than the one LS-2 anyway

Dude you're my freaking hero! Thanks a lot for the tip!

But just to make sure that I understand this correctly

............................ > loop A send > OD > amp input > amp fx-send > loop A return v
guitar > LS-2 input..................................................................................... > LS-2 output > delay, reverb > amp fx-return
............................ > loop B send > clean preamp pedal > loop B return ^

klinic

Reaction score
I'm not getting another amp, since I'm superhappy with my Jim Root Terror and yeah...just wondered if there's another method than rolling the volume back. I don't need a particularly good clean tone...Just a tone wihtout distortion will do

Dude you're my freaking hero! Thanks a lot for the tip!

But just to make sure that I understand this correctly

Yep that's perfect. You could also through on a compressor or something in front of the clean loop. It'll just be like having presets on a midi switching system.

Latest posts