Single Coil Neck PUP for 8 string?

Reaction score
Wasn't quite sure on how to word the title, lol but I think it worked a little.

Basically, I am wondering if anybody knows a single coil passive pickup for 8 string guitars?

I am trying to build a specific sound and I am not really sure on where to start as far as this neck pick up, and for the neck pickup I want something that would give me a sort of Yngwie type sound (please don't school me, I know more goes into sound than just a pick up).

I was never really big into single coils but I have begun to grow very fond of the way they sound for leads and solos, but I have no idea if a pick up like this is even on the market.

Basically, the guitar it would be going in to (which I have not built yet) would be an 8 string, multiscale guitar, but with a high A rather than a low F#, most likely a mahogany body with a neck thru set up.

So, does anyone know of any pups like this? Anywhere I can start looking?

I know this is kind of very specific, but I figure if anyone can help, it would be the fine people at sevenstring.org!

Thanks,
Dylan

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
Tall order, there are no production 8 string neck single-coils so it could be difficult to get a place to make that for you.

Your best bet would be the Duncan Custom shop, they make Yngwie's pickups already... but they'd be skipping a 7 string to go right to a multiscale 8 :ugh:

Blackwater Guitars is getting a bit of buzz from some of their new pickup designs as well, and I heard something about them working on a single-coil, they already makes multiscale guitars all the time anyways so it's worth a shot.

Edit: A little bit of looking turned up a shop that I've never heard of that offers custom pickups with a multiscale 8 singlecoil option. Sounds like a reliable option right? :lol: They're the only place I've seen that actually says they'll do this though.

Guitar Logistics - Built to Spec - pickups

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
Wrong.

There is the DiMarzio Ionizer. It is marketed as a middle pup, but I don't think it cannot make a nice neck pickup.

Ionizer 8

Hadn't thought about using that as a neck pickup, nice catch. I don't think that Dimarzio does any custom work outside of rewinding though, but you never know. We're kindof in uncharted territory here :lol:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Hit up BKP and see if they'd do an 8 string single. I've seen at least a couple of 7 string singles from them, so it should be a possibility.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
I think your best bet would be getting an Ionizer neck pickup and getting a splitter toggle installed. The Ionizer was designed to work well as both a single coil and a humbucker. Or you could use the middle Ionizer as Underworld said.

celticelk

Reaction score
Another option would be to contact some of the boutique pickup makers who do ERG pickups. For an 8-string single, I'd probably talk to Pete at Vintage Vibe to start with.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Vintage Vibe has done custom ERG pickups for users here in the past, I'm sure they could do a single-coil for you.

:ninja:'d

DreamError

Reaction score
The D Activator 8 sounds pretty single coily when running the coils in parallel.

Probably not what you're after, but hey, options are options, right? :lol:

It's what I used on my SIX28 for cleans.

Latest posts

')