Singlecoil-sized humbuckers

• Thread starter Greatoliver
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
So I was listening to some Greg Howe, and I wondered what guitar he was playing, and happened across this:

greg_howe_01.jpg

...And I was like, H-S, yummy, and so my GAS started. I've been wanting a 6 string for a while, and an Ibanez one, and my search for a H-S guitar took me to this:

RGR465M_SOB_.png

And then I was like, oh man, that is yummy. :agreed:

However, neither actually have single coils in the neck, they are both singlecoil-sized humbuckers. :ugh:

Now, I've seen a few guitars with these - Andy Timmon's Ibanez signature also has them, to my suprise (IIRC) and so I've been wondering why people have them over normal sized humbuckers. Joe Satriani has one in his most recent Ibanez guitar, and his reason for this is that the pickup can be placed closed to the harmonic node in a 24 fret guitar, as the humbuckers in his 22 fret guitars.

Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to singlecoil-sized pickups? Aesthetically, they are very nice and look like SCs, but is there a compramise to tone? Do they bridge the gap between SCs and HBs, a little like P90s?

Thanks for your help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PrestigeFan92

Reaction score
In my opinion, it just provides more tonal options. You can split or parallel the single-coil sized humbucker. Unless you can here the difference between the single coil and the split humbucker, I'd go for the humbucker in a single coil housing.

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
In my opinion, it just provides more tonal options. You can split or parallel the single-coil sized humbucker. Unless you can here the difference between the single coil and the split humbucker, I'd go for the humbucker in a single coil housing.

A humbucker gives more tonal options than a SC, but why go for a singlecoil-sized humbucker then? I can't see any benefit from them other than aesthetics :ugh:

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
they arent like P-90s at all. I have my Strat set up with three dimarzio twin blade style single pickups. I did it because i can go from hot humbucker to spanky single coil in the flip of a switch.

I dont think the tone is mind blowing personally, its the switching options that I really required. I rather get a set of Parallel Axis Stacks from Seymour Duncan.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
They sound different from full sized humbuckers. Not better or worse, just different. Little bit cleaner in the attack, I guess, but it really depends on the actual pickup you get.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
I'm personally not a big fan of single-coil sized humbuckers (dual coil, that is, I don't have much of a problem with stacked singles) but they certainly aren't bad. Personally I'd replace them with a true single coil, but then you lose a lot of switching options.
Some of them get a really nice humbucker tone for the bridge, but I've never had one I liked in the neck.

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
Why bother at all then? It sounds like they are just small humbuckers, and not as good sounding as full-sized. Is the benefit just that they can fit SC routes, and look nice?

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Jesus Christ Greg Howe is DIESEL...

Also, those are very interesting although I see no personal use for them. :yesway:

FretWizard88

Reaction score
I have 3 single coil sized humbuckers in my American Deluxe Strat, and they sound amazing! I can get a variety of tones. I have the JB jr. a Cool Rails and a Hot Rails.

Racerdeth

Reaction score
So I was listening to some Greg Howe, and I wondered what guitar he was playing, and happened across this:

Pic

...And I was like, H-S, yummy, and so my GAS started. I've been wanting a 6 string for a while, and an Ibanez one, and my search for a H-S guitar took me to this:

Pic

And then I was like, oh man, that is yummy. :agreed:

However, neither actually have single coils in the neck, they are both singlecoil-sized humbuckers. :ugh:

Now, I've seen a few guitars with these - Andy Timmon's Ibanez signature also has them, to my suprise (IIRC) and so I've been wondering why people have them over normal sized humbuckers. Joe Satriani has one in his most recent Ibanez guitar, and his reason for this is that the pickup can be placed closed to the harmonic node in a 24 fret guitar, as the humbuckers in his 22 fret guitars.

Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to singlecoil-sized pickups? Aesthetically, they are very nice and look like SCs, but is there a compramise to tone? Do they bridge the gap between SCs and HBs, a little like P90s?

Thanks for your help!

My love for the H-S look led me to buy an RGR465M. Belting guitar. Tonewise they're just humbuckers, there's a tiny difference in tone with the coils covering less space on the string, but they are voiced accordingly. The air norton S in the RGR sounds very close to the standard 6 and 7 versions to me. Main advantage is purely aesthetic, because it looks fucking cool :D but the original intention of having them made was that you could put humbuckers in your SSS or HSS strat.

Greg's reasoning for going H-S was because he kept catching his pick on the middle pickup (and H-S looks cool)

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
My love for the H-S look led me to buy an RGR465M. Belting guitar. Tonewise they're just humbuckers, there's a tiny difference in tone with the coils covering less space on the string, but they are voiced accordingly. The air norton S in the RGR sounds very close to the standard 6 and 7 versions to me. Main advantage is purely aesthetic, because it looks fucking cool :D but the original intention of having them made was that you could put humbuckers in your SSS or HSS strat.

Greg's reasoning for going H-S was because he kept catching his pick on the middle pickup (and H-S looks cool)

Great, that's really helpful! I can understand Greg's consideration, and I think Vai uses tape to prevent his pick catching...

That's a bit of a disappointment tho, as I was hoping that they would provide something interesting, rather than being essentially a H-H guitar (with regards to the RG). I can understand their usefulness, but in the end, it just seems for a more convinient humbucker. I would be more on the side of replacing it with a true SC, as I already have my RG7620 which satisfies my humbucker neck needs :yesway:

@Miek, I know! They are limited edition models, but seem really nice, one of the few H-"S" guitars Ibanez do ;)

...However:

One thing that is interesting is this: The Cruiser® Neck | DiMarzio

This is a double-coiled SC-sized pickup, which is humbucking. But unlike the Air Norton S, it isn't a full-sized that has been shrunk to a SC-size. Under the tech talk, it says how it behaves like a fatter SC, but with SC elements to it. So what I am wondering is whether SC-sized humbuckers do have a slight variation in tone, or is this pickup just wound to be a bit like a SC, rather than it being the nature of it's size?

Thanks for all the input so far! :wavey:

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I've used quite a few SC-sized humbuckers and what most of them share in common is a slight compression over their full-sized counterpart.

Depending on what you're playing, that can be a really good thing. That said, the Air Norton S sounds pretty much identical to me, maybe a touch less airy, but has a bit more spank when played clean.

')