Singlecut 7-String solution?

• Thread starter jforsythe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jforsythe

jforsythe
Reaction score
I've been recording a demo over the last few months using my Les Paul Standard and UV777BK, which I've had since 1998. Everything is coming out fine, however, the music will be impossible to pull off live without a 7-string guitar. Some of you are probably saying right now, "Well, you've already got a 7-string guitar." True, but I don't like playing the UV live. The body contour is does not fit my playing style very well, I don't like using locking tremolo bridge systems live, and I don't like the overall tone of the guitar. My Les Paul, however, feels (body contour-wise) and sounds PERFECT. What I've been trying to do for the last few weeks is find a solution to where I can have a 7-string with some very specific specs in a Les Paul/ESP Eclipse type body. The thing is, I love my UV neck. The thickness, width, feel, intonation, etc are perfect. The following specs are what I am looking for:

-Singlecut body based on Les Paul/ESP Eclipse
-Mahogany back/Maple top
-Mahogany neck/Rosewood fingerboard
-25.5 scale neck
-22 frets /w large frets
-Extra Thin "U" neck contour
-48mm nut width
-EMG 81-7 Bridge p/up
-EMG 707 Neck p/up
-Sperzel Locking tuners
-Non-tremolo bridge (Stop Tailpiece and Tune-o-matic)

I've spoken to a Custom Shop representative at ESP and he said that it would be an estimate of $5500-6000 for this guitar ($3000 minimum for any ESP custom, $1000 more for any 7-string, plus the features that I listed). There is no way I am willing to pay that much for a guitar, considering I would be using this for a touring situation and the thing could get damaged or stolen. It would be irreplaceable. I was hoping he'd say no more than $4000-4500. Even though that's alot of money, it's more manageable for me. So now that that option is probably out of the question, I'm considering a few more options:

-Buy an Epiphone Les Paul 7 and have a luthier build me a neck to my specs
-Have Abyss guitars build me what I'm looking for (I'm sure it's not going to be much cheaper than ESP)
-Have ESP build me the guitar anyway and get a really good insurance plan for the instrument

What would you guys suggest, especially those with touring experience? If you have any suggestions other than what I've listed, please tell. Thank again. You've all been so much help to me in the past.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor J

I Don't Own An Ibanez 7!
Reaction score
Give Jeremy at LGM a call. That is an insane amount of money for a custom guitar. Maybe Schecter custom shop too? Shop around, you'll get the exact guitar you want built cheaper elsewhere for sure.

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd suggest looking into other, smaller luthiers. I reckon you could get that built for half of what ESP quoted you.

Doctor J said:
Give Jeremy at LGM a call

As far as I know, he's not taking any more orders as he's moving shop. Not to write him off, but I think it'll be next year before you could place an order with him.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I never thought of combining my Gibson Les Paul and my Ibanez RG1627 7-string... But I agree with you on many of the points. I just like the way my LP sounds much more than the Ibanez tone-wise and such...

I'm sure you should be able to get one built for under $4500 somewhere, but even so, it's still gonna be very expensive. Good luck on that.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why not just buy a Dean EVO, add EMGs and shave the neck? They're mahogany, have rosewood boards, and could probably be made into a playable instrument MUCH faster than the Epi could.

For $3.5K or so, Jackson would build something similar to that. I can't believe ESP's CS is so expensive...

KXK would probabaly be even cheaper, although I dunno about him and Paul shapes...

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
I reckon that you could get it under €2500 if you looked around. My custom BC Rich Stealth 7 String is costing a mere €2299, and that's got a lot of non-standard options.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
There's a 7-string LTD Viper with EMG's and a 25.5" scale, as I recall, I've seen in recent musician's friend catalogues - how'd that one work for you? I think it's around $600 street - pretty affordable, compared to 10x that. ;)

EDIT - bingo. Not a singlecut, but it'd be a very 'Gibson" feeling guitar, I'd think...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/512034/

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
Why not just buy a Dean EVO, add EMGs and shave the neck? They're mahogany, have rosewood boards, and could probably be made into a playable instrument MUCH faster than the Epi could.

For $3.5K or so, Jackson would build something similar to that. I can't believe ESP's CS is so expensive...

KXK would probabaly be even cheaper, although I dunno about him and Paul shapes...

^ What he said.

Darren has a beautiful single cut EVO.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=131

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
There's a Dean Evo Special 7 going on ebay here, for a nice little buy it now price of $349. Not sure how much these things go for, but that seems pretty good for a 7 string.

jforsythe

jforsythe
Reaction score
What about going the Warmoth route, buying the individual pieces and having them put together? The only problem I see is that their 7-string necks aren't made to fit in their LP style bodies. Also, the guitar would have to be a bolt-on, which I could deal with for live purposes.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Karl Hungus said:
There's a Dean Evo Special 7 going on ebay here, for a nice little buy it now price of $349. Not sure how much these things go for, but that seems pretty good for a 7 string.

If I needed one, I'd be buying this - $349 is beyond worth it, from the two I've played. These are some of the best Korean 7 strings, IMO, and would fit what you're wanting with some mods...

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
If I needed one, I'd be buying this - $349 is beyond worth it, from the two I've played. These are some of the best Korean 7 strings, IMO, and would fit what you're wanting with some mods...

Quite right, just stick in some new pickups, maybe a fret job if needed, and it could be grand.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
jforsythe said:
What about going the Warmoth route, buying the individual pieces and having them put together? The only problem I see is that their 7-string necks aren't made to fit in their LP style bodies. Also, the guitar would have to be a bolt-on, which I could deal with for live purposes.

It would get expensive really fast - they'll do it, but a LP body would be a significant upcharge - plus they're 25" scale (not 25.5"). They you have to do all the fit&finish stuff yourself, or have them finish it - which also gets expensive really fast.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
$349 for an EVO Special 7 is a pretty good deal. Mine cost me around $400 a couple of years ago. They're pretty good guitars, and one of the only singlecut 7-strings around. They're also 25.5" scale, so they're not a flubby as an Epiphone LP7.

Warmoth only does two body styles for their 7-string bodies, neither are single-cutaway designs. You could get a Warmoth neck, (they only make them in 25" and 28 5/8" scale) and have a singlecut body made.

Don't even ask Jeremy about a singlecut... he hates 'em. ;)

But i'm sure there are other small luthiers out there who would make a 7-string singlecut to your specs. You might inquire with David Myka to see if he makes sevens at all... his work looks absolutely stunning, and i'd love to have a seven based off his singlecut design.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
jforsythe said:
I've spoken to a Custom Shop representative at ESP and he said that it would be an estimate of $5500-6000 for this guitar ($3000 minimum for any ESP custom, $1000 more for any 7-string, plus the features that I listed).

well, thats a list price. Usually when you do a custom shop quote it'll be shit crazy. I'm pretty sure it'd 4000$...

Also, there's the Schecter 7 strings.. they're set neck 7 strings with wider bigger necks, and mahogany bodys. put some PAFs in there, 7 string les paul ;p

jforsythe

jforsythe
Reaction score
I've considered Schecter guitars. They sell them at the shop I work at. The necks all feel like baseball bats compared to my UV. I can't deal with that. My UV spoiled me.

')