Ska?

• Thread starter scottro202
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

friday11

Reaction score
I for myself don't like Ska that much :(

But Ska-P is pretty cool!!! Listening to "welcome to hell" if you do not know it! ;)

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
My ska playlist consists of:

Instant Winner (local band, not straight-up ska so much as punk/metal hybrid with horns)
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Reel Big Fish
Sublime
The Suicide Machines
"Hey Sergio" by Catch 22, because I bought Keasbey Nights and that's the only song I could stand
Witches, a Korean band that plays some ska. You might have heard this song:

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
Yes I do know Ska-P, the trumpet player for my future ska band got me into them :)

and yingmin, I havent heard that song, but very cool!!! and I love Sublime and Mighty Mighty Bosstones, I have Second hand Smoke by Sublime and Let's Face It by Mighty Mighty Bosstones :)

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
I used to be in a Ska band years ago. Really, really fun. I still go back into my Ska days every now and then; I think it's something that will always stay with me a little bit. :metal:

RBF, FIF, The Toasters, MMB...been a long time. :lol:

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score

EdgeC

Songs in C#
Reaction score
Was a massive Reel Big Fish fan in the 'Sell Out days' still listen occasionally. They're playing Soundwave next Feb. Less than Jake played last year and were pretty good.

Goldfinger had some awesome Ska tracks in their earlier days. Carlita was a great song. There was also an Aussie band called H-Block 101 who, while probably being more punk than Ska, were seriously good. They Supported Rancid one year in Sydney and put on an good show.

Then, when I was about 15 the drummer in my band introduced me to Pantera, Korn and Fear Factory. Unfortuntaley after this Ska didn't get much of a look in.

Still tonns of respect though.

screamindaemon

Overlord of Music
Reaction score
I saw Less Than Jake open for RBF last year. Great show.
Also saw Suburban Legends open for RBF the year before that. SL puts on a great show.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw Less Than Jake open for RBF last year. Great show.
Also saw Suburban Legends open for RBF the year before that. SL puts on a great show.

I caught Big D and the Kids Table, Less Than Jake and Goldfinger last year (awesome show), and Whole Wheat Bread, Streetlight Manifesto, Reel Big Fish, and MXPX 3 years ago. Got to meet Aaron Barrett, Dan Regan and John Christianson and all were really cool (I have an RBF pirate flag hanging in my home studio that's signed by the three of them).

t3sser4ct

Reaction score
RBF, FIF, The Toasters, MMB...been a long time. :lol:
FIF as in Five Iron Frenzy? That's the only ska band I ever got in to, but those guys were great. I've been nostalgically listening to some of their stuff lately.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
i had a girlfriend who was really into ska during high school and college. i enjoyed the stuff a lot, but never listened to it enough to remember band names and songs and stuff. now i'm kind of rediscovering it (and this thread helps).

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
I play double bass in a '60s ska band. We're so old school that we see Bob Marley as a dangerously new innovator.

Not that the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Reel Big Fish or Operation Ivy aren't good bands... I just see them a little bit more punk than they are ska. It's sort of music to pogo to instead of music to dance to. Just my opinion of course. I still love Less Than Jake's first few albums and I don't care who knows it. :p

http://www.myspace.com/motherskank Check it out. Just covers on the myspace: we've been on a summer hiatus since we're mostly students, and we'll finally record some of our own stuff when we get back to gigging in late September-early October.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
Would that be a '60s rudeboy or a '90s rudeboy? I'd much rather be the former.

We've got rudegirls as well, if we're truly rude. I suspect due to my other commitments to folk and metal I fall quite short of rudeness. At times we're unpleasantly impolite, but I'm just not confident enough to say that we're 100% rude. :scratch:

If we are, maybe I should start drinkin' brew for breakfast. Can't fail!

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
This ain't ska! :scream: This is poppy ska-punk goddamit!

THIS is ska!

well if you wanna be technical about it, the bands I listed (except maybe The English Beat) are 3rd wave ska bands, which incorporate punk, ska, and pop. The bands you listed are 2nd wave ska bands.

It's all ska nonethless :wub:

')