Skervesen Guitars

• Thread starter mondomg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mondomg

Reaction score
Skervesen H8 Chocolate

wfZ5o.jpg

I know some of you like Polish guitar manufacturers like Mayones or RAN, so I thought I’d show you a younger company based in Gdańsk, founded by a former Mayones employee, Jarek Konkol aka Commelina :)

Specs:

- mahogany neck
- ebony fingerboard
- mahogany Sapele one-piece body
- two DiMarzio D Activator pickups
- 27″ scale
- ABM bridge
- locked Schaller tuners
- volume pot with a push-pull option for coil splitting
- 3-way pickup switch
- ivory saddle

riG6G.jpg

Quality of Build

I’m trying to find a dent or some other flaw in the finish or wood itself but I honestly can’t find any. The gloss is really nicely done, the neck is oil-finished and very pleasant to touch. In all fairness, it may be one of the most beautiful eight strings I’ve ever seen. The only thing I don’t like are the bushings from the bolt-on but Jarek told me the bigger ones were delayed and they were impatient to finish the guitar so they stuck to those smaller ones where you can see wood from underneath of it. It’s not a big issue but worth mentioning. In his other projects, the bushings match the holes. Anyway, the quality of the craftsmanship is top notch and this comes from a Music Man JP7 owner ;)

cnenf.jpg

Comfort of Playing

For me, the ergonomy and comfort of playing is the most important aspect of any guitar, so I dedicate a separate paragraph for just that. A lot of people asked my how does this Skervesen compare to the RAN Crusher 8 I’ve previously owned (RAN Crusher 8 « mondomg blog) and for me the Chocolate wins in terms of convenience of playing. First of all, the neck is thin and rounded, definitely better shaped for me as I don’t experience any wrist pain after playing even for four or five hours straight. The scale was never a problem for me and I think 27″ is the most universal choice anyway. Another thing is the mental comfort – the body is finished in high gloss, arguably less pleasant to touch but more stable and resistant. Apart from that? ABM bridge, locked Schallers – what’s not to love? One volume with a push-pull – simple and clear. Good jack output, straplocks and nothing to worry about. There is only one crucial question remaining…

gLkZW.jpg

But can it djent?!

As a happy BKP user, I was very surprised with the quality of the D Activators. Only until recently, they reminded me of thin-sounding Ibanez’s six and seven strings, but apparently the eight string version is somehow different. The guitar has a very powerful, compressed sound, with a lot of meat but at the same time with a very distinct attack. At first, it seems to be well suited for the heavier genres and styles of playing but after a while it proves to be quite flexible. The clean channel sounds very deep and piano-like and if you want to, you’d easily play jazz, blues or hard rock on it. It responds to articulation details extremely well, very much like the EMG 808 X pickups from Crusher. You can easily play anything from Tosin through Whitechapel to Obscure Sphinx (Obscure Sphinx - Nastiez - YouTube). I was very curious with how would it sound with BKPs but after playing it for a couple of days I cannot imagine the better sound than it already is :)

8e9cB.jpg

Conclusion

If someone told me to choose between the Chocolate and any other eight string, I’d send my cat after him. Skervesen is not only excellently crafted but also inspires me to play things I’ve never played before, which is a vital factor for me when choosing a new instrument. If you are looking for a custom-built guitar, feel free to contact Jarek while he’s still available and not charging a soul for his builds ;) (Skervesen Guitars - Kontakt)

iNumD.jpg

I’d also like to thank Jarek and Skervesen Guitars for letting me review this remarkable guitar!

TL;DR? Feel free to just listen to a demo I’ve made with this guitar and tell me what you think :)

Mondomg - Skervesen H8 Chocolate Test by mondomg on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

You can also find the full gallery of photos in high resolution here: https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/3132322/1/Skervesen H8ocaster?h=4cbbda

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

simulclass83

Reaction score
Dat finish!
Only thing I can complain about is the headstock. Other than that it's beautiful.

mondomg

Reaction score
Yeah, the headstock and the whole neck was made long before the body was chosen so it doesn't exactly match. Anyway, thanks for the comment!

Also, I've just noticed they updated their Facebook profile (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Skervesen-Guitars/228523443929627) with this:

SKERVESEN is a new custom shop of handmade guitars. We offer 12 years of experience working in Mayones Guitars. We're group of guitar fanatics - our instruments are the result of true passion.

Our guitars can be fully customisable in terms of shape, wood specification, hardware - meaning 6-string classics up to 8-string baritones. The common feature is exclusive quality.
We're professionally equipped and using computer-aided design which enables precision and perfect repeatability.
Each request and order is individually priced. Email us: guitars@skervesen.eu

wayward

Banned
Reaction score
What's with that alien creature in that pot in the background in the last two pictures?

Nice NGD.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
This looks awesome. Always a great contrast between the dark ebony boards and the polished frets. Play the hell out of it, and give us some vids while you're at it.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks really good. I guess the headstock could look better if the top of it was narrower and that could help achieving straight string pull. But that's nit picking :)

commelina

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all. It's probably my first post here.
@ Fred, welcome on this side of the world ;)
This is the result of a return to the true love.
As mentioned mondomg, I spent 12 years at Mayo, then fu.... lost 14 years of life doing some shit, and basically since year i get back to the great passion wchis is the guitar. \m/

Yet only in Polish but after some time, there will be English version available.
Skervesen Guitars - Home

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Looks nice. I'm not a fan of how far up the heel goes, but I'm a stickler for that.

vansinn

Reaction score
Looks like a really nice build. Difficult to really see the color. I wonder if it tastes good too ;)

First time I've seen the 8-string ABM bridge, so I'm quite curious..
Could you add a close-up pic of the bridge?

mondomg

Reaction score
Wow, I'm blown away by the amount of people that seem to enjoy what I've done with this guitar :scratch: :blush: If only I had known, I would put more attention to the details and do something decent with it ;) Anyway, thank you for all the kind words, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I only had the guitar for the review and already gave it back to Jarek (I think it's on sale now, you may have to ask him directly, if you're interested) but I already know I would want an exactly same model as my next guitar but currently the bass guitar for the recording studio is my top priority... However, I'll soon be doing a test of another upcoming Polish brand, so stay tuned ;)

What's with that alien creature in that pot in the background in the last two pictures?

Guess what - I've just went to the balcony to check what's inside the pot and... it was GONE! :ugh:

Looks like a really nice build. Difficult to really see the color. I wonder if it tastes good too ;)

First time I've seen the 8-string ABM bridge, so I'm quite curious..
Could you add a close-up pic of the bridge?

I must admit it was a challenge to take pictures of this guitar since the colour ranges from near black mocha to milk chocolate depending on the light. Unfortunately, the sun didn't want to come out when I wanted it to... In reality, it's a bit lighter than in my photos.

Unfortunately, I didn't take photos of the close-up of the bridge that time but I'll try to do it as soon as I have my camera back. Meanwhile, try to zoom in the pictures from the Dropbox gallery, they are rather detailed.

Cheers! :)

vansinn

Reaction score
^ the trick to take pictures of high gloss surfaces is to use a polarizing filter, which allows to close some of the unwanted reflections, leaving a lot more depth and detail.
Also works wonders for sunsets, making green grass not look blueish, puffy white clouds, nuclear plumes look like real biohazard, peek-a-boo through windows, catching fish in water.. :idea:

For digital cameras, make sure to get what is known as a "circular" filter (liniar filters were for old school film-based cameras).
The best is probably the Zeiss "Nach Käsemann" filter; maybe somewhat expensive.
Avoid the very low grade ones, as they can render colors inaccurate. An affordable Hoya filter might be ok.

Oh, and thanks for the bridge pics :yesway:

Status
Not open for further replies.
')