Skervesen Swan FF8

• Thread starter SiggyCertified
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SiggyCertified

Reaction score
Alright everyone, I need your help this time. Based off of recent builds that I've seen lurking around the forums. I've decided to snag another Skervesen, but this time a Swan, an 8 string, with fanned frets.

Although I do have one SERIOUS problem. I need help with deciding woods. I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 combos. But nothing is set in stone.

1.) Cocobolo Fret/Spalted Maple top
2.) Albino Ebony Fret/Spalted Walnut top

Cocobolo:
dsc05501.jpg

Albino Ebony
404269835.jpg

Spalted Walnut: (Raptor on the left)
176676_291599460955358_686605480_o.jpg

We all pretty much know what Spalted Maple looks like, so no pics there :p
I'm also a bit undecided on body wood, although I'm currently leaning towards Mahogany, but HOLY SHIT that sapele that angus posted on his Raptor is SUPER sexy. Just not familiar with it, or it's tendencies rather, and would like to have more knowledge before choosing for it.

Let me know what you guys think, or if anyone has better ideas, shoot. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
Anything with cocobolo in it has my vote.

That itchy, hard-to-cut, demonic shit is absolutely gorgeous. :yesway:

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Ha pretty soon the entire lutheiry page is going to be Skervesen threads:lol:

Cocobolo would look really nice paired up with a Swamp Ash body:
Quicksilver%20Cocobolo.jpg

Myxu

Reaction score
^^

Yep, it doesn't surprise me, must say that's pretty "addicting" brand of guitars :)

Personally, I'd go for Ebony/walnut. I just looove spalted walnut; It seems so fresh for me in the world dominated by quilted/flame maple tops.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
We all pretty much know what Spalted Maple looks like, so no pics there :p
I'm also a bit undecided on body wood, although I'm currently leaning towards Mahogany, but HOLY SHIT that sapele that angus posted on his Raptor is SUPER sexy. Just not familiar with it, or it's tendencies rather, and would like to have more knowledge before choosing for it.

Let me know what you guys think, or if anyone has better ideas, shoot. :)

IIRC Sapele is just another form of Mahogany, specifically from Africa, all the same family more or less all the same tonal footprint.

Is it possible to get Albino Ebony with absolutely no black in it? Bassically as close to white as possible?

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
IIRC Sapele is just another form of Mahogany, specifically from Africa, all the same family more or less all the same tonal footprint.

Is it possible to get Albino Ebony with absolutely no black in it? Bassically as close to white as possible?

Sapele and Sipo are both just different breeds of mahogany, yes. It becomes obvious when you see it. Also, they sound different. Those two are more lightweight and resonant from what i've been told.

Musza

Reaction score
I see the eye in this piece of cocobolo. So, if there is a wood called birdseye maple what should be the name for this one? humaneye cocobolo?

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Give the guys an email and see what tops they have in stock, they get some really nice ones in frequently.

mwcarl

Reaction score
Cocobolo: always. Works great for fretboards, also good for necks and tops if you can find large enough pieces. Walnut top and cocobolo fretboard perhaps?

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
Back for round 2 !!! :lol:

The albino ebony/spalt walnut sounds like a great choice to me.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go Cocobolo fretboard + Spalted Maple top.

Navid

Chicken Kicker
Reaction score
Personally I'd go full cocobolo.
Because, why not?

But this build is going to be good.

SiggyCertified

Reaction score
You guys definitely aren't helping, haha. :p I'm probably gonna go Coco fret/Spalt Wal top. But we'll see what they have to choose from of those specific woods. Needless to say, I'm excited anyways, and I can't wait to try out my first ever Fanned fret.

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure whatever you choose they will make a totally badass 8 for you...and I'm off to play mine! :hbang:

')