Slap bass mixtest! - Korn content

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with Trillian recently, adding a slap bass to my studio inventory. Tough work getting a present bass to sit in the mix, but I think I could manage. I've tried to make the guitars and the bass sound as gnarly and "old school" as possible, but infused with my own, more "modern" elements of handling a metal mix.

https://soundcloud.com/yiyachi/ko-ns-a-d-i-d-a-s-chi

This is also a mixtest in general, since I'm still learning and trying to make every mix sound better than the last. Constructive criticism ? Hell yeah.

For any gear related questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Great job! The bass sits in there nice and snug. Good mix, too. Nice work, man!! :)

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
Sounds great.

Bass - Nice and gnarly, loving it dirty
Guitars - Really clean, somewhat hollow but perfectly fine (hollow is nothing negative, just describing the sound I am hearing)

Rumble rumble I really like it definitly your best mix so far. Makes me want to get trillian.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Glad to hear that from you, buddy. As for the guitar tone - it's sort of like my signature tone at the moment. The boost in the high-mids might be the cause for that "hollow" effect you're talking about. I particularly like the tone, because I like it saw-blade gnarly, sounding like a rusty scalpel. ;)

I'd definitely recommend getting Trillian and learning to use it. It's not too difficult once you figure out where to turn the knobs. Best sounding bass I've ever had.

toiletstand

/\'...'/\
Reaction score
the bass sounds great! heavy guitars sound good but i feel like they need just a hair more work to help them gel with the mix more.

toiletstand

/\'...'/\
Reaction score
i forgot to add that i say that as a novice myself haha. just going by my ears but hopefully someone can chime in :)

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Not so much a Korn guy, but I just used your mix to "test" my new M-Audio CX5,s, and this mix sounds pretty awesome man. Good job!

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Two being panned left n' right.

Edit: And of course the clean one in the middle, but that's not important.

Lava Joe

Reaction score
LOVE that bass tone!! I definitely got my ugly ass headbobbing face on when I heard that riff hahaha. Nicely done :) Guitars sound a little too "tubular" IMO, but overall not bad at all man!! :)

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
LOVE that bass tone!! I definitely got my ugly ass headbobbing face on when I heard that riff hahaha. Nicely done :) Guitars sound a little too "tubular" IMO, but overall not bad at all man!! :)

Hah, thanks man! I guess I'll work on the guitars a little. I really like them how they are right now, but I guess I could tweak it a little.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Gosh darn my english.

Well, I'm basically using Trillian as said - hardcore slap model with lots of highs, lows slightly boosted and mids cut. There's no additional compressor on the bass other than the one included in Trillian. Then I've been using the same bass with said settings again (copied the main bass track) and filtered everything below 500hz on that one. The second one has a distortion plugin ontop to make it sound gnarly.

Those two bass "tracks" are mixed in volume so they work together nicely and that's about it.

')