Slayer Guitarist Jeff Hanneman Passes Away

• Thread starter Symb0lic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

satchmo72

Reaction score
Since I am not a fan of today's metal, I still listen to Slayer a lot and I am saddened by the news.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zappatton2

Reaction score
First heard Slayer in the late 80's when a kid of my parent's friends came over and played me Hell Awaits. Scared the living shit out of me. Have been addicted ever since. I owe my entire love of extreme metal to them, this is incredibly sad news :(

Luafcm

Reaction score
I yell Slayer at every band I see play live, I will now yell Slayer and Hanneman! This is so shitty, Jeff was truly my biggest influence...

I'm getting some Heineken tonight and playing Slayer!

S L A Y E R ! ! ! !

Reaction score
Guess that means it is time to add a Slayer cover to our bands rotation.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
My homegirl told me about this as soon as I got home from work yesterday... :(

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
This sucks and I am totally bummed. Anybody else going to drink a Heineken to honor the man?

already did! :hbang:

11964_10201355052902170_465205379_n.jpg

had a couple of these while blasting some SLAYER last night. RIP Jeff

Goro923

Spanish Thrasher
Reaction score
At Dawn They Sleep
Angel of Death
Altar of Sacrifice
Raining Blood
South of Heaven
Behind the Crooked Cross
Dead Skin Mask
Seasons in the Abyss
Disciple
Jihad

Thanks for the music, man.

To all the people "praying" for him & his family, you obviously never read his lyrics. And I seriously hope the WBC people get hurt.

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score
Fucking awful news. Will be listening to the entire Reign in Blood album from front to back tonight... and then probably back to front.

:hbang::shred::hbang:

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
Jeff was killed by a spider...I guess you could say that spider was...

...A slayer

Within all seriousness, this news sucks. I may not have liked Slayer much, but they still helped shape metal and other forms of abrasive music, more so than many others could ever dream of.
R.I.P man! :hbang:

Rosal76

Reaction score
This is very upsetting and saddening news. Thank you Jeff, for all the awesome music you gave us over the years and for being in a band, for in which part, got me into heavy metal and playing guitar.

You will be missed. R.I.P. Jeff.

DISTORT6

NJ DEVIL
Reaction score
I'm numb over this.
Jeff was a HUGE influence on my playing.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Extremely sad day, to hear this news. I literally could not believe it when my friend told me at work today, I had not checked Facebook this morning so I hadn't seen the news. I was even wearing a Slayer t shirt at the time!

I think I knew in my heart that Jeff would not return to the touring band full time after the bite and the infection, as your arms need to be in great shape to play a Slayer song, let alone a full set, ontop of the gruelling rigour of actually being on a tour anyway. I had always hoped that he would get back into the studio or at least help them write. I always thought the best Slayer songs came from Jeff, and Jeff and the band as a whole were a big influence on my journey through metal. When I was first getting into metal about 14 or so years ago, I remember hearing all this hype about certain albums from big metal bands of the past, and their best albums. I then remember hearing those albums and thinking they sucked, and were totally over-rated. "Reign In Blood" always got rave reviews, so I bought it thinking it might be more of the same. WRONG. It was everything people said it was and more.

A lot of kids these days think they are too cool for Slayer, but there is no denying that if you listen to or play honest, brutal metal in 2013 you owe a huge debt to Slayer, and to Jeff. Slayer raised the bar for speed and brutality and paved the way for extreme metal.

Reign in peace, Jeff.

metaljohn

SS's Only Dick Butt
Reaction score
This bums me out a lot. Jeff was definitely one of my biggest influences as a musician.

')