Slayer Guitarist Jeff Hanneman Passes Away

• Thread starter Symb0lic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sly

Reaction score
I was not the biggest fan of Jeff, and not the biggest fan of Slayer (but however a fan), but I'm so sad to hear that bad news... "Repose en paix, Jeff, Tu vas nous manquer terriblement".

You were, are, and always be a legend!

Condolences to your family, Slayer members, and Slayer fans.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
This is absolutely shitty. He was a huge influence on my playing and writing, no doubt.

It's a sad day man.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Rest in peace. Jeff was a silent member in the background (I mean like he wasn't constantly on spotlight like Kerry) but he made all the greatest slayer songs.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
A lot of kids these days think they are too cool for Slayer, but there is no denying that if you listen to or play honest, brutal metal in 2013 you owe a huge debt to Slayer, and to Jeff. Slayer raised the bar for speed and brutality and paved the way for extreme metal.

This +1000 :metal:

ThrashnBash

Reaction score
He never got his due, man. He was always in Kerry King's shadow, when he was the better player.... RIP Jeff. We all miss you!

welsh_7stinger

7=best number
Reaction score
This news is devastating. I still can't believe he has passed on :( I'm glad i managed to catch him playing with slayer pre spider bite. If it were not for the reign in blood album and the song raining blood I wouldn't be into extreme metal or want to play guitar. He is surely gonna be missed by metal heads and music fans all over the world.

RIP Jeff Hanneman. you will never be forgotten.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
He never got his due, man. He was always in Kerry King's shadow, when he was the better player.... RIP Jeff. We all miss you!

Only because Kerry King has always been the mouth of Slayer, for better or worse. The average metal fan on the street might think Slayer was all Kerry, but read those liner notes, check those writing credits and read more into the Slayer story.

As said, those who know, know.

Rizzo

Reaction score
Unexpected news, really slapped me in the face this morning.
It's a long time since i've been listening to them, but they were a great influence on my metal years as a listener and on my beginnings as a guitar player for sure.
I always thought Jeff was the best in the band as well.

I'll always miss your riffs and your sinister licks, RIP Jeff.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
A giant looming large over metal's past and future, my heart goes out to his family friends and loved ones, it hurts that he's gone, especially the shock, I thought it was a gradual recovery he was going through, very sad day.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
jeff-hanneman-dead-corbis-640-80.jpg

Poor guy died with the Raiders sucking ridiculously hard for the last solid decade. Sheesh. Maybe he can pull some strings for his team now.

groph

Reaction score
Coming in here to pay my disrespects. Jeff was a total beast and Slayer is what got me into more and more extreme metal. May he rest in torment.

My condolences to Kerry, Tom, Dave, and all of those who played in Jeff's place, and to Jeff's family, but especially my condolences to Satan, for now he is the second most evil being in Hell.

EDIT: This is insanely corny. I hope you guys know what I meant.

linchpin

Specter
Reaction score
I appreciate the sentiment they're trying to get across but the illusion is somewhat shattered at the end...

Kerry (somewhat animatedly, as if changing the subject light-heartedly) - "Right, NOW! The show must go on..."

Wow Kerry, way to pay your respects. Get 'em in there quick and move on...
Yeah that came off a bit cold... but I guess Kerry doesn't really do the whole emotional tribute thing... Dave or Tom would have been more appropriate for that.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score

Trust Kerry to totally act like Jeff's death is another insignificant blip on the Slayer timeline. He is acting like a tv show host. You know he has to be hurting, so I'd accept that some of that is front, but the way he gots "Right, the show must go on!" and completely changes the subject makes me think he has not even begun to comprehend the fact that a lifelong friend of his has died.

potatohead

Reaction score
Trust Kerry to totally act like Jeff's death is another insignificant blip on the Slayer timeline. He is acting like a tv show host. You know he has to be hurting, so I'd accept that some of that is front, but the way he gots "Right, the show must go on!" and completely changes the subject makes me think he has not even begun to comprehend the fact that a lifelong friend of his has died.

I agree. It's almost like he said that because if he didn't change the subject, he would have had issues up there.

xDarkCrisisx

Reaction score

People have different ways of grieving, he might not wanted to talk about it for minutes on end. I think it was perfectly fine trying to get the show moving on because gradually over the night people started to mention Jeff less and enjoy the night. People make it sound like Kerry is just some asshole but it's not like the guy said "yeah people die what are you going to do? Shit happens"

craigny

Winning...duh
Reaction score
I dunno man. He didn't seem too upset to me. I totally understand that people deal with greif in different ways but that was kinda weird. You'd think he'd get a little choked up talking about the guy that he started the band with. Geeze Zakk looked more upset than he did. Maybe he really hasn't come to grips with it but he seemed to shrug it off too easily... At least that is what it came off like.

Again though what a shame. 49 man. Way too young to leave this earth.

')