Slipknot Megathread- New Slipknot song & video/Firing of Chris Fehn

• Thread starter Triple-J
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
It sure does sound like a Slipknot song but I just feel like something is missing. Joey and Paul? Ross Robinson? Or just the genuine anger they used to have? I don't know, maybe I've just outgrew them. It just doesn't have the same impact as their first 3 albums had. Especially Iowa. Hearing People = Shit for the first time was literally a life changing moment. Maybe some kid hears this as their first Slipknot song and feels the same.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
I dig it. Some people in the comments said it sounds like the Iowa days...hell no. It sounds like something off of the last album, but Corey's vocals are better. Either way, I'm stoked for the new album. Chapter 5 was good IMO. No way they'll get back to the first two albums, I don't know why anyone would fool themselves into having expectations that high.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
song is decent but it doesn't seem to stick with me. Dissapointed that the production sounds a lot like .5, didn't really like that album production wise. Coreyys vocals do sound better though

A-Branger

Reaction score
I like it, gives me more vibe of the last album rather than the others.

but finally you can clearly listen to the electronic stuff, they have cut down those two fellas for quite a while now. Same with the extra percussion. Even that they are 9, last few albums sound like a standard 5 piece band

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
but finally you can clearly listen to the electronic stuff, they have cut down those two fellas for quite a while now. Same with the extra percussion. Even that they are 9, last few albums sound like a standard 5 piece band

Personally I liked the old approach where the "extra stuff" was almost hidden in the mix so you had to listen really closely to hear them. Now they're too much in your face, imo. The weird chorus-y warble thing around 50 seconds is really annoying, imo. I think they've used a similar sound on some other newer songs, too.

A-Branger

Reaction score
Personally I liked the old approach where the "extra stuff" was almost hidden in the mix so you had to listen really closely to hear them. Now they're too much in your face, imo. The weird chorus-y warble thing around 50 seconds is really annoying, imo. I think they've used a similar sound on some other newer songs, too.
Im the other way around, I was like "where are the other guys?"

like their first album (the one I started listening them), where you can clearly hear the DJ and samples and extra percusion stuff.... That was the cool thing about them having those extra shit, in top of the angry stuff and the whole masks look

and I love that weird chorus-y warble thing, and the DJ scratches that comes after... Im like "fuck yeh, finally"

only disappointed on how burried the bass is....(like most metal stuff) *roll eyes*

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Im the other way around, I was like "where are the other guys?"

like their first album (the one I started listening them), where you can clearly hear the DJ and samples and extra percusion stuff.... That was the cool thing about them having those extra shit, in top of the angry stuff and the whole masks look

and I love that weird chorus-y warble thing, and the DJ scratches that comes after... Im like "fuck yeh, finally"

only disappointed on how burried the bass is....(like most metal stuff) *roll eyes*

Yeah, I agree that on the first album the DJ stuff was just great like all the breakcore drum parts in Eyeless and Spit It Out. They gave the songs some cool dynamics and flavor instead of just being normal drums all the time. I think Iowa had more dense soundscape so the stuff naturally got buried under the guitars and drums.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
Pretty standard Slipknot song. Seemed like the safe single to release first. I thought it was good, but am hoping for a little more aggression, not necessarily anger, from the rest of the album. A return to the the musical chaos of the Iowa days would be nice.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Really boring song. Nothing interesting happening, it’s just crazy repetitive. Honestly sounds like a demo that got pushed through in a desperate attempt to put something out on Halloween.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Really boring song. Nothing interesting happening, it’s just crazy repetitive. Honestly sounds like a demo that got pushed through in a desperate attempt to put something out on Halloween.

I thought the same. Super boring, unfortunately

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Didn't really do anything for me. Sounded like a very basic slipknot song from vol 3 or anything after that.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
I actually prefer the more recent Slipknow stuff...not sure if this tune amazing enough though. It seems like they spent $ on the video, but with no band in there it's pointless C level horror stuff- that doesn't help the song at all.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not terrible, but completely forgettable. Liquid Metal has been playing the heck out of this track, but I still had to listen again because even though over heard it about half a dozen times in the last 24 hours, I don't remember a single thing about it.

Unpopular Opinion: Slipknot peaked at Vol.3. It wasn't the heaviest they've ever been, but its was definitely the best songwriting. Would be cool to go back to that quality.

I hope this was a "safe" release and there will be more interesting stuff on the full release.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Good. Not amazing, but solid. I'm also one of those weirdos that thing everything from Vol 3 onward was much better than the previous material.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Not terrible, but completely forgettable. Liquid Metal has been playing the heck out of this track, but I still had to listen again because even though over heard it about half a dozen times in the last 24 hours, I don't remember a single thing about it.

Unpopular Opinion: Slipknot peaked at Vol.3. It wasn't the heaviest they've ever been, but its was definitely the best songwriting. Would be cool to go back to that quality.

I hope this was a "safe" release and there will be more interesting stuff on the full release.

I think you're right, although I dug the shit out of All Hope Is Gone. Some of my all-time favourite guitar wankery is in that album, ie the opening riffs for Gematria. So. Good.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score

Even more Unpopular Opinion: At the end of the day, Prelude 3.0 might be my favorite song of theirs.

EDIT: Not their best song mind you, certainly not one most representative of their writing as a whole, but probably my favorite.

BlueTrident

Reaction score
It sounded exactly like a “sequel” to The Negative One and sounds like an extra track from .5. And I am also of the opinion that Vol. 3 has the best songwriting of all of their albums.