Slow down music - Ear Training

classicalmetal24

Reaction score
Ok, I am in the process of learning Enigma Machine by Dream theater, I've got everything down simply by reading the tab, the only part I am struggling with at the moment is JP's last solo on the song, he basically is just shredding in a descending pattern but I can't determine how exactly he is playing it because you know he plays it fast.. So what I am asking is, is there a program out there that I can use to slow down the music WITHOUT altering the pitch of the notes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gorthul

Reaction score
Transcribe! does just that. And it does it pretty well, you can also EQ-out Bass, Vocals, Drums etc..

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Transcribe is great but last time I checked isn't it only for osx? I used to use it daily until someone jacked my MacBook...

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
Audacity slows stuff down (it's what chris zoupa uses to transcribe solos) but it's probably not the best for your needs. Riffstation is pretty handy, you can download the demo but after 60 days it really does stop and you have to buy it.

classicalmetal24

Reaction score
I'm gonna give transcribe! a go, they have a version for windows thankfully. I may have a look at riffstation as well, only problem with audacity is that if you slow it down it actually changes the pitch of the notes which is bad for what i am trying to do.

Guthrielicious

Reaction score
I use Amazing Slow Downer and have used Transcribe as well. Both program work really great!

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
...only problem with audacity is that if you slow it down it actually changes the pitch of the notes which is bad for what i am trying to do.

That's because you used "Change Speed" instead of "Change Tempo". Changing the tempo preserves the pitch, I just tried and it works fine. I understand Transcribe! may have more features, but to me Audacity (open-source) does exactly what you want. What you want to do is:

Import mp3 --> highlight (select) tracks --> Click "Change Tempo" from Effects menu --> Decide how much you want to slow tempo and click ok.

Once you stop playing the track, you can use CTRL-Z to undo the tempo change if you like.

Riffer Madness

Reaction score
Audacity is great [and free], but the sound quality degrades alot after about a 15-20% reduction in tempo. Its still usable tho.

There may be a free plugin out there thats better that the stock one it comes with. I never looked for one.

Transcribe is $40

Reaper DAW also works with great sound quality [far better than audacity's one] and has a no limit trial period [they request $60], but i cant remember how you go about slowing it down. Ive done it before tho messing around. Google it.

')