Small Dorm Rig For College

• Thread starter Infamous Impact
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TKOA-Dex

Master of Thall
Reaction score
It's a digital modeller hooked up to 2 small Hi-Fi speakers. You can't use it with a cab directly, it's not an amp head. I believe it does have line out however, so you can use it with a PA system. It does not have an effects loop, so you can only put pedals in front of it, or after the line out. Read the details here.

Edit : Fun fact, both the Yamaha, the Vox Valvetronix amps and the Vox Tonelabs are based on the same digital modelling platform, the former Korg AX series. I still play my AX1500G to this day, great modeller, often under-rated and over-looked.

Ah, okay. So you would say it's A: usable for small gigs/ practices and B: A good choice to take with me to college? I will probably end up getting some speakers to hook it up to just for a little more noise if I need it. It's great that it can hook up to PA's though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tssb

Reaction score
Ah, okay. So you would say it's A: usable for small gigs/ practices and B: A good choice to take with me to college? I will probably end up getting some speakers to hook it up to just for a little more noise if I need it. It's great that it can hook up to PA's though.

I would say yes to B, it would a good choice for college, as you can also hook up your iPhone to it to play along to tunes.

As for A, you'll have to read a bit more about it, as I'm not sure if it has a footswitch.

If you're planning to get speakers anyway, then you'd be better off with a Vox Tonelab, more amp models, good for gigs, and the EX has built-in monitors.

splinter8451

Reaction score

I got to try out a THR10 last week and it was a sick unit, the built in speakers sounded great and didn't muddy up when playing along with a song via the line in jack. The models in it were really versatile. The one I played was not the X model which has all metal amp models, but the Modern Hi model on it was perfect for metal.

There is not an output jack on the unit, only a USB out. So to jam through speakers you would need to have monitors hooked up to your computer and then connect it with USB. So this means no hooking up to a PA or extension cabinet.

Also there is no footswitch currently, I guess Yamaha may be able to add one later and make it a USB footswitch if a ton of people want one.

The THR's are meant to be a stand alone unit for jamming and recording, not really for a band/gig setting.

If you want something you can plug into a PA I would go with a Pod HD500/X3 Live. I used my X3 Live straight into the PA at a few "talent shows" in college and it sounded great. And I am still using my X3 into a pair of M-Audio BX5a monitors as my main practice setup now, it is just so convenient :agreed: You can run it directly to the monitors with no need for a USB connection and it sounds sick.

If you go with a modeller and still plan on jamming with other people I would just pick up a small solid state combo for that :shrug: honestly most people at college will just be using small combo amps anyways.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Alternatively (I am also going to college in the fall), you could buy a Taylor and learn some theory and fingerpicking so you can get dat awesome Jester Race era In Flames sound going on... That's what I'm doing. I figure I can live for a semester without my 5150 III, and if I decide all is good I can haul it up to college for the spring semester. I originally was going to sell my cabinet to fund a small dorm amp but I decided that this is a good opportunity to get myself off the plateau I find myself on musically at the moment and grow as a musician.

Latest posts

')