Small Dorm Rig For College

• Thread starter Infamous Impact
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
I hate laptops I'm using a tablet instead :lol:

LOL

That will not work out in the long run, but good luck with that idea. You will need something with more processing power at some point in college.

I still think the THR would be the best thing.

splinter8451

Reaction score
Also have fun writing long papers :fawk:

(more power to you though!)

Also consider the Blackstar HDs.

+1 on the Blackstar's, assuming you meant HT series, unless there is a new amp from them I don't know about :cool:

Also OP will probably be typing his long papers at the computer lab or library, I cannot imagine actually trying to type 10 pages on a tablet :flame:

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I did indeed mean the HTs, my bad.

Libraries mean limited hours and competition for workstations, but yeah.

stevexc

Reaction score
Fender Mustang III. Quiet enough for dorm playing. Loud enough for (some) jamming. Versatile enough that you can attack any genre and not sound out of place. The metal tones you can get with it aren't top-notch and you won't get a huge variety, but they're serviceable - plus the array of non-metal tones is excellent.

aprilia4life

Reaction score
Don't bother with a tube amp, unless you like having your volume on 1 all the time and not using things to their full potential...

Get the yamaha THR10X, better than any line 6 product for twice the price, better than the Blackstar and better than the Roland Cube.

Done.

DavePiatek

Reaction score
If you've already got a head you really like, I'd use something like a Hotplate. That way, you'll have a balanced out you can run into impulses on your computer. If you're looking for a standalone thing just to practice, I'd go with something cheap with a headphone out, like Line6.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I'd use something like a Hotplate.

I don't know any other amps that have it, but use to have a Vox modeling amp that had a build in attenuator. It was a 50 watt, so I could still keep up in band practice, but I could dial the attenuator all the way down and play in my mom's apartment.

kaaka

Reaction score
Tube amps:
Orange micro terror is great, as is Blackstar HT1 but Randall RD1 also seems promising and might have a bit more gain if you are into the heavy stuff.

Runander

Reaction score
For you, I would really recommend something like a Line6 POD HD. Any other modeler would do the trick too, but that's the one I have owned myself and was really pleased with:)

You have a vast arsenal of sounds at the tip of your foot and just hook it up to a PA and you're all set :)

Vrollin

Reaction score
Seriously, I wouldn't be looking at anything else in your situation,

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
A few thoughts, even though the OP has probably already made his decision:

I was going to suggest a modeler with laptop speakers, because space can become an issue. If you have a roommate, remember that anything you bring in should be able to fit in your half of the space. Otherwise, it would be like your roomie saying, oh, nobody uses this space under the desk, so I'll just stash my kayak under there, and then we'll split the rest of the space down the middle!

I'm also a fan of being able to work through headphones, because who wants to be "that roommate" who says, oh, the noise isn't that bad! Why do you always feel you have to leave when I'm jamming? That would be a dick move.

Lastly... putting speakers right on the floor or directly against a surface is a great way to get bass, and sound in general, transmitted directly to the floor (and the ceiling below that), walls to adjacent rooms, and to the ears of the hall coordinators and those above them (assuming that it happens more than once). Since repeated complaints can result in some problems for you, even if someone else has gotten away with similar behavior, be smart. If the assumption is that people should be able to study where they live, don't get yourself into a situation.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

mniel8195

Reaction score
the diavlo sounds allot better than the ht-5. Its not foot switachble but it does actually have a great clean ch.

PF Chang

Reaction score
Blackstar HT METAL 408.

309999.jpg

TKOA-Dex

Master of Thall
Reaction score
Well, since this is already a topic, I may as well post my question in here. The yamaha THR10X is looking really appealing, as I am beginning to consider a rig for college as well. However, I am a complete idiot with the amp lingo and I am wondering what exactly IS it?

Like, is it just a little combo amp type thing? It can obviously function by itself but can you hook it up to speakers if I wanted to say, play a gig? (hook it up to the Venue's PA system I suppose) And can it hook up to cabs and function as a Head? Or is it just a tiny, desktop amp that's full of effects and nice stuff?

Also, I am assuming I can hook up pedals to it, right?

To the owners out there, what is its sound level like? Good enough to be low for the college dorms, but loud enough to do a band practice?

tssb

Reaction score
I don't know any other amps that have it, but use to have a Vox modeling amp that had a build in attenuator. It was a 50 watt, so I could still keep up in band practice, but I could dial the attenuator all the way down and play in my mom's apartment.

I still have one, the 60W model and with the attenuator on 1W, you can crank the master all the way up and get some gnarly tones at a really decent sound level. Also, don't let the 1W fool you, it's plenty loud.

A few thoughts, even though the OP has probably already made his decision:

I was going to suggest a modeler with laptop speakers

The Vox Tonelab EX would fit the bill perfectly.

The yamaha THR10X : I am wondering what exactly IS it?

It's a digital modeller hooked up to 2 small Hi-Fi speakers. You can't use it with a cab directly, it's not an amp head. I believe it does have line out however, so you can use it with a PA system. It does not have an effects loop, so you can only put pedals in front of it, or after the line out. Read the details here.

Edit : Fun fact, both the Yamaha, the Vox Valvetronix amps and the Vox Tonelabs are based on the same digital modelling platform, the former Korg AX series. I still play my AX1500G to this day, great modeller, often under-rated and over-looked.

')