Small tube amps for the studio?

• Thread starter noUser01
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Howdy. Looking to expand what I've got in my studio setup after I get my cab. I've hot a Blackstar HT-20 head, but I kind of want to expand amps despite having an AxeFX II. It's fun, and some people I record just prefer to do things the old fashioned way, or bring their own amps, which is fair enough...

I'm looking at getting a Tiny Terror or Dark Terror and some sort of 5150 but I don't know which one, or the differences between I, II and III. Also looking for any other really cool small tube amps you guys can think of.

- ONLY heads, not combos
- No more than 30 watts

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
All 5150's are above 50 watts, maybe you can pull powertubes on a mini. I would not bother with the mini-recto because it sounds more like the single (rock) and less like the dual and triple which are definitely more of a metal amp. A 30 watt tube amp wont sound that much quieter than a 100-150 watt amp btw. If you're recording with them you'll probably have them cranked anyways, in which case your neighbours will kill you if its a 150 watt amp or a 30 watt amp.

Maybe look at the jet city stuff. With your AFX II though maybe its worth getting a few different poweramps? I've heard an AFx NAIL the recto tone using a 50/50 before and with tone matching on the II there's no way anyone would be able to tell the difference, but again..that wouldnt meet your wattage req :p

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Too bad, would love a 5150 mini...

Yes I'm aware of the volume differences. I don't care about wattage so much for wanting less volume, just less headroom mainly. The neighbors won't be an issue. ;)

Reaction score
If you want less headroom I think pulling power tubes can help. You could also fuck around with bias.

Is this for metal or? If its for metal you want headroom!

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
If you want less headroom I think pulling power tubes can help. You could also fuck around with bias.

Is this for metal or? If its for metal you want headroom!

Not specifically. If I get a 5150 or something then yes I'll get one with more headroom, but otherwise I'd like less headroom for punk, modern rock stuff.

But mostly these are for anyone who comes over to record... and for fun. :D

Reaction score
Look into the Jet City stuff then, there is no dealer in Canada IIRC, but I had a chance to try my buddy's JCA and it was fucking sick! Flexible too. I dont know about punk but it did modern rock for sure.

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
What about Blackheart?

I tested the 100W version a lot before i got my Carvin -
It's got a decent clean channel, the most incredible 'light breakup' sounds you could possibly think of, a HUGE sounding drive channel, and with a good boost it turns into a prog-metal monster (lots of mids. Think Mark series Mesas or Blackstar series one).

The reason i didn't get one was it wasn't particularly loud and the clean channel breaks up with the gain about halfway and the volume way up. It breaks up wonderfully, but that's not what i needed.

They also have smaller versions - Little Giant, Ant and i think another one, rated at 1, 5 and 15W. They're well built and have a very distinct Indie tone.
Might be just what you're looking for.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Marshall JCM-1, Vox AC4, Laney ironheart (I think), a kit amp?

I myself would probably get a Trinity marshall style head at 15W and make faces melt with it :yesway:.

ESPImperium

@ESPImperium
Reaction score
Egnater, they make two of the best low wattage tube amps out there in the market in the form of the Tweaker and Rebel.

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
I had an Axe FX II. I sold it, bought a EVH 5150 III 50w and home recording as never been smoother, or sounded better. I often record through Vintage 30s at talking volume and it still sounds great. You don't need to crank it to get a good tone. The amp does get loud and the volume knob can be touchy though, so if you are strict with volume in an apartment or something, there's probably better options out there. Also, the Mini Rectifier with a boost can definitely get some gnarly metal sounds. I will definitely be grabbing one after they hit the used market. Go try one before listening to comments that it's not a "metal" amplifier.

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
Vox Night Train. Not 5150 thick, and the stock tubes are garbage, but those little suckers rock with a set of JJ tubes! Through a tube screamer in front and you get some sweet tones. 7 or 15 watt mode, and they will surprise you how loud they can get.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Jim Root Terror if you haven't looked into it yet. H&K Tubemeister 18 is also great.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm putting together a list of amps that I'm interested in buying and I'll look up lots of demos and reviews on each. Thanks!

Pav

???
Reaction score
Definitely look into the Mesa F-30. Typically a combo but there are shortheads out there. Incredibly versatile.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Mesa also has the new express series with the markEQ.

EXPRESSSERIES.jpg

EXPRESS550.jpg

Latest posts

')