Small tube amps for the studio?

• Thread starter noUser01
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wakjob

Reaction score
For your studio, I would get a Mesa 20/20 power amp.

Then you can buy a rack that goes from floor to ceiling and fill it with discontinued pre amps that can be had starting around $50 or so. Tube, SS, Multi FX preamp processor's ect...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
For your studio, I would get a Mesa 20/20 power amp.

Then you can buy a rack that goes from floor to ceiling and fill it with discontinued pre amps that can be had starting around $50 or so. Tube, SS, Multi FX preamp processor's ect...

Fifty--... tell me your ways, oh wise one. GOOD rack preamps? DO TELL.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
engl e530...:shred:

he meant 500!:wavey:

I definitely don't see myself spending that much on a rackmount preamp after buying an AxeFX II, but if I ever see a used one for cheap I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
There's not many great options for rack preamps for the modern metal player. I personally don't like the e530 either.

Diezel has something in the works, but that's going to be pricy.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
"Modern" tone is mostly production. You can get "modern" tones from almost any amp in fact, maybe just not a blues deluxe, ok.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
"Modern" tone is mostly production. You can get "modern" tones from almost any amp in fact, maybe just not a blues deluxe, ok.

I disagree, Fender Blues Jr Deluxe + Metal Muff = amazing tone. Found that out at a show once when I had to use their amp. :D

Atomshipped

Reaction score
Orange Dark Terror
Orange TH30
Orange Root Terror
ENGL GigMaster 15
Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
Egnater Rebel
Egnater Tweaker
DV Mark Galileo
Soldano Astroverb
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister
(and many more)

Plenty of flavors; try them out if you can :)

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
i strongly disagree

I would have to agree, actually. "Tone", or a large part of it, is about EQ. Now there is also clarity, dynamics etc. but you can make an amp sound VERY different in post production.

Reaction score
I was about to suggest a Carvin V3m before I read the under 30 watt post.
Though, I think the V3m allows you to turn the wattage down. That amp is versatile as all hell.

If not that, look at a Jet City 22h. I've heard great tones from them.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I was about to suggest a Carvin V3m before I read the under 30 watt post.

Seriously though, I think the V3m allows you to turn the wattage down. That amp is versatile as all hell.

How much is it? I'm looking for heads under a grand.

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
:yesway: for Carvin stuff. I'm a fanboy.
They've their own sound which you may or may not like, but they are super versatile, extremely well built and cost funny amounts.

Also, the advantage of getting something louder like the Carvin is that the increased headroom of the components will allow you to use an EQ in the loop - and i vaguely recall someone stating that EQ is a large part of tone :scratch: :)

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
I would have to agree, actually. "Tone", or a large part of it, is about EQ. Now there is also clarity, dynamics etc. but you can make an amp sound VERY different in post production.
it all starts at the source, and its silly to expect an engineer to create an engl from a marshall and vice versa. use the amp that sounds closest to your sound, and allow the engineer to capture it properly without making his job difficult in processing. unless you want to sound like djent/metalcore... in which case theres no help for ya.

ALL recordings start at the source. you can polish a turd, but its still a turd.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
it all starts at the source, and its silly to expect an engineer to create an engl from a marshall and vice versa. use the amp that sounds closest to your sound, and allow the engineer to capture it properly without making his job difficult in processing. unless you want to sound like djent/metalcore... in which case theres no help for ya.

ALL recordings start at the source. you can polish a turd, but its still a turd.

The point isn't making a Marshall sound like an ENGL, it's about getting a "modern" sound from something that may not be considered a "modern" amp. Modern guitar tone as we hear it today on albums from Rise Against, to Nickelback (kidding), to Nine Inch Nails, to Anthrax, to whatever, all share similarities in tone because of what we (society partly, but also recording engineers, tone nuts and gear companies) feel today is "good guitar tone", versus what "good guitar tone" was back in 1969.

But either way,, we're talking about a very loose subject of "modern guitar tone."

signalgrey: Thanks man. I'd LOVE a real AC30 but I don't have room for combo amps. I could easily fit 2-3 heads in the space of an AC30. :lol: Plus my band mate is getting an AC15, so I'll have to "borrow" that one now and then. :yesway:

')