Smallest footprint decent studio monitors for untreated multi-use room

DC23

Reaction score
So, with things being the way they are lately much of my designated music space has been converted for other use. As such I'm looking to pair down to bare minimum and have the smallest footprint necessary. Room is not tiny but desk is situated along a wall near the corner and is intentionally shallow to not get in the way of things. I don't have room or want to have studio monitor stands anymore. I have been using Dynaudio BM5a's on stands until now but find them to be overkill for what I can do in my living space (landlords right above, sound travels far too well!). No acoustic treatment, and probably no opportunity to do that in this rental :(

I trust you guys more than any YT videos so figure I would ask what works for the metal oriented community. Ideally I will be playing some guitar through modelling equipment and/or VSTs. I also don't play out or gig. I wouldn't mind being able to generally listen to metal and rock music with some clarity but without shaking the house. I have a decent pair of headphones (Audio Technica M50x) so am just looking for something that I can use for those moments I'm able to listen and play at audio volume levels. I've looked at Adam A3Xs (which look really cool but are fairly pricey for what I presume will be a compromise, anyways). Any other suggestions or should I just give up and use headphones only? Presonus Eris 3.5?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
honestly, in your situation i´d rather go with good studio headphones. headphones are not ideal, sure, but they are way better than small monitors in a bad position in an untreated room. you´d have so many issues, that headphones will completely bypass.

Lianoroto

Reaction score
I must agree with the above post. Headphones are much better than a compromise in speaker size, and positioning. If you miss the feel of speakers then maybe consider a subpac to pair with your headphones.

DC23

Reaction score
Very good points, thank you guys! I think I might try to get on with just headphones for a while then!