Smash Bros!

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Anyone here play it?

I've been playing these games on and off since N64 and always liked them a decent amount. A few years ago my co-workers and I got a Switch that we just leave at work and we play during our lunch break or throughout the day when we have nothing else to do (your tax dollars at work, sorry). At this point we've got a few thousand hours of gameplay each lol. I think the little notification thing for 10,000 matches played dinged for us a few years ago at this point 😅. We all still play pretty regularly as it just makes for some good casual fun or some super sweaty, try-hard non-sense for a few hours.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I played a looooooot in the n64 and melee days, but I've had a hard time giving a shit about the later games tbh. I have the newer one on switch but I just can't get into it.

Melee is still the best imo

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
I remember as a kid everyone always wanted to play Smash Bros. and I fucking hated that game. Still do.

wankerness

Reaction score
As far as playing these games in a screwing-around way, I think the latest one is the best, the gamecube one is second, and the N64 one is third. I miss the screw attack being comically overpowered in that game. None of us really knew how to play it other than just cheesing each other and not being good enough to counter it (ex just ground pounding with donkey kong or lightning with pikachu over and over and over again in an inconvenient location). Like, we didn't even know about "smash" moves in the N64 one. Come to think of it, I haven't played that game since the gamecube version came out, so I don't even know if it had one.

I think every version of this game we ever played much we'd turn off the home run bat cause it was stupid.

I think I played the wii version like twice, and the wii-u version about three times. They seemed like more of the same from the gamecube version! They were probably fine.

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
I like them. I'm not a die hard fan but the game itself is satisfying to play, it's so freeform I think id lose my mind trying to play it competitively. Iirc I bought ultimate for the switch when they added the piranha plant guy, silly dude haha.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I don't think I've played a game of Smash with items on in maybe 6 or 7 years. I used to get slapped around by everyone in these games, then only ever played against my bro who was a top competitive player for a while. Since then I beat everybody who isn't a competitive player.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Haven't played Smash in a while, and I've never really been serious about it like other fighters. Competitive Melee is still fun to watch! I can't imagine ever developing the dexterity to play that well at this point, myself XD.

HarveyForte

Dadbod Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pokeball and Assist trophy only, with increase item drop rates.

The only way I play.

(the only way I can win too)

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
Brawl basically.

Used to play the OG one a lot, but Brawl was what I grew up on.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Played the whole series my whole life, I dropped off Ultimate a week or two after Sora came out as a DLC character. I was nearing the end of my Switch Online subscription and most of my friends online stopped playing other than 2 of them so I saw no reason to renew.

The online lads were the most competitive players, so naturally I don't really have an incentive to play it anymore other than for fun on the couch when visitors come over irl.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Played the whole series my whole life, I dropped off Ultimate a week or two after Sora came out as a DLC character. I was nearing the end of my Switch Online subscription and most of my friends online stopped playing other than 2 of them so I saw no reason to renew.

The online lads were the most competitive players, so naturally I don't really have an incentive to play it anymore other than for fun on the couch when visitors come over irl.
All the Ultimate DLC characters were increasingly game breaking nonsense.

Except Min Min.