Smashed tip of headstock. Repair or send back?

neurosis

Reaction score
I have an odd one here. Just received a dinky that pierced through the packaging. The headstock hasn't broken off or chipped, it's just smashed and collapsed. How would you go about repairing something like this? Would it be difficult with my basic woodworking and finishing experience? Can it somehow be bent or shaped back in place? The binding is also affected.

Or should I give up on this and send it back?

Curious about your opinions.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 1.58.45 PM@0.75x.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 1.59.07 PM@0.75x.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 1.58.58 PM@0.75x.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 1.58.58 PM@0.75x.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 1.59.20 PM@0.75x.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 1.59.20 PM@0.75x.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 9

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I had two of these come from Proaudiostar and arrive the same way. One was minor enough that I just did a little steaming and reshaping with sandpaper because the deal was good, the second one which looked a lot like yours I sent back.

Just send it back for a refund or exchange. Someone else done goofed and you shouldn't have to pay for it.

I wish everyone would ship double boxed with big arrows pointing up and "FRAGILE-THIS SIDE UP".

neurosis

Reaction score
I had two of these come from Proaudiostar and arrive the same way. One was minor enough that I just did a little steaming and reshaping with sandpaper because the deal was good, the second one which looked a lot like yours I sent back.

Just send it back for a refund or exchange. Someone else done goofed and you shouldn't have to pay for it.

I wish everyone would ship double boxed with big arrows pointing up and "FRAGILE-THIS SIDE UP".
what do you mean by steaming? to shape it back in place? I've never seen this type of damage. Seems like the wood has compressed.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
what do you mean by steaming? to shape it back in place? I've never seen this type of damage. Seems like the wood has compressed.

Damp rag atop the offending piece of wood and a red hot soldering iron dabbed onto the rag creates steam which can decompress wood. Works better for dents rather than full-on-mashes like your situation though.

neurosis

Reaction score
I swear Covid killed all the world's smart people. That's a shame.
let me tell you the guitar is so beautiful I immediately connected with it. I am not upset because it's broken. I would understand if it was the package delivery but it 100% (in my opinion anyway) is the fault of the seller because there was zero padding above the headstock other than the thin foam wrap/bag which was tied to the headstock with a rubber band.

as an aside I have to say if you ever get in trouble, having a Jackson headstock with you seems like a good choice of weapon if they are able to puncture through stuff like that :lol:.

but yeah... never received a guitar this condition.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
100% (in my opinion anyway) is the fault of the seller because there was zero padding above the headstock other than the thin foam wrap/bag which was tied to the headstock with a rubber band.
Yup. I totally second this. We all know what delivery companies do to pointy guitars. Fair enough thing to forget, though- as fairly as I forget most folks don't have the fucking brains God gave a billy goat.

neurosis

Reaction score
Yup. I totally second this. We all know what delivery companies do to pointy guitars. Fair enough thing to forget, though- as fairly as I forget most folks don't have the fucking brains God gave a billy goat.
Maybe Fender could pay their instruments and the people that build them some respect, too. This is a great guitar. Well above any Korean guitar I have ever touched. I'd easily put it next to some of my Japan builds. I am not sure why you would fabricate beautiful instruments to throw them against a wall. C'est la vie...

neurosis

Reaction score
What model are we even talking about here? Let's see it
ha! It's the gold sparkle with the Evertune. Let me decide on whether I return it before I post any larger shots. I am apprehensive about the return process. Not sure if I'd get in trouble with everything being so "online" nowadays.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
ha! It's the gold sparkle with the Evertune. Let me decide on whether I return it before I post any larger shots. I am apprehensive about the return process. Not sure if I'd get in trouble with everything being so "online" nowadays.

Totally understand. Take solace knowing that I have been bad mouthing all the big retailers for a couple years now publicly, send back half the stuff I buy from them, and they still take my money :lol:

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
If you're not a douche about it a resounding majority of merchants are willing to straighten out a deal that just didn't go as planned. Best to reach out and get everyone on the same page, if you wanna go through the honeymoon phase with it on your own initiative and then decide you don't want this exact one you could be up a creek.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Contact the dealer ASAP. The longer you wait the closer the window for taking care of this stuff is to closing as far as what's best for you.

neurosis

Reaction score
Contact the dealer ASAP. The longer you wait the closer the window for taking care of this stuff is to closing as far as what's best for you.
I gave notice to Reverb the moment I signed for the delivery and took it out of the box. I also sent the shop the photos of the damage and a follow up with more photos of the packaging per their request. They still haven't responded to clarify what they meant with a partial refund possibility so I requested a full refund. They will likely reimburse me minus shipping which seems unfair given they'll probably file a claim with FedEx and get compensated there. In the end I may have paid them to mishandle and damage a beautiful guitar. I hope this all resolves without hassle as I don't have room for any more BS. The guitar was supposed to be a destressor. Time to recalibrate my mood and take a breath, LOL

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I gave notice to Reverb the moment I signed for the delivery and took it out of the box. I also sent the shop the photos of the damage and a follow up with more photos of the packaging per their request. They still haven't responded to clarify what they meant with a partial refund possibility so I requested a full refund. They will likely reimburse me minus shipping which seems unfair given they'll probably file a claim with FedEx and get compensated there. In the end I may have paid them to mishandle and damage a beautiful guitar. I hope this all resolves without hassle as I don't have room for any more BS. The guitar was supposed to be a destressor. Time to recalibrate my mood and take a breath, LOL

Call your bank and start a chargeback. Fuck'em.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
Yup return it. You should get a full refund for the shipping included and they should provide a return label at no charge to you. No reason to penalize you for damaged product because they didnt package it well.

I used to work at a fedex warehouse and while I took care of every package as if it was mine ESPECIALLY GUITARS. Not everyone does. Seeing boxes thrown etc is disheartening and made me realize that you NEED to package guitars to be stacked on top of thrown or dropped about 2-4ft. Just the way it is.

Packages get damaged all the time so, it shouldnt be a surprise anymore. Precautions should always be taken into place.

Hope it gets resolved for you

neurosis

Reaction score
Yup return it. You should get a full refund for the shipping included and they should provide a return label at no charge to you. No reason to penalize you for damaged product because they didnt package it well.

I used to work at a fedex warehouse and while I took care of every package as if it was mine ESPECIALLY GUITARS. Not everyone does. Seeing boxes thrown etc is disheartening and made me realize that you NEED to package guitars to be stacked on top of thrown or dropped about 2-4ft. Just the way it is.

Packages get damaged all the time so, it shouldnt be a surprise anymore. Precautions should always be taken into place.

Hope it gets resolved for you
Thank you! Sometimes cheaper is cheaper if you know what I mean. I am used to dealing with private sellers, not shops and my ability to review and figure out a positive outcome is high in that regard. But here I took a chance. Lesson learned.

There is a used option with Guitar Center but they also don't want to take or share more photos of what they are selling. The guy guarantees the guitar has only light playing marks but also didn't respond to my inquiry about how their grading system works. Same response with AMS so on this one I think I'll end up biting the bullet and buying it new from Sweetwater or Musicians Friend. Do you have a preference? I don't want to get burned twice.

In 2024 somehow a Korean Jackson is about to be my most expensive guitar considering what I paid for my others, including a Core PRS... go figure. First world problems though, right?

Last edited: