Smooth Distortion

• Thread starter Subcide
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Subcide

Reaction score
Yeh these days I've only seen both of them using PRS's and black Les Pauls, With Hoss' PRS's having midi pickups duct-taped on :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hide

Psyche scarring
Reaction score
I get that kind of vibe with mahogany bodied guitars with ceramic pickups in the split inner coils configuration, or full humbucking wired parallel, more than just from the neck pickup. It gives me a fuller sound that retains clairty to some extent with distortion/effects.

The guys are right , bass around 4, mids pretty high and moderate levels of treble and gain - and something to push the preamp: I use a sparkle drive, I like it a lot with the recto.

Maybe a BB preamp with the clean channel in could work too..check out andy timmon's tone.

No wonder they're using prs..

robertkoa

Reaction score
COOL- I've been asking tons of people if the ADA MP1 with the gain NOT on 10 and the right tubes will do those kind of tones for my Funky Fusion or whatever it is stuff-If you like this -you guys will like some of my stuff- it's not metal but has some Hendrixy but modern vibe to some of it.Can the ADA do this in the Studio or not?

keeper006

SWEET BERRY WINE!
Reaction score
A few people as of late have been saying "5150's are only used for hardcore/metal/etc..." This video is definite proof otherwise. ;)
I've had my 5150 for 15 yrs, and use it for everything from djent to jazz. You might also want to check one of these out if you can find one to mess with. I borrowed a friend's and was able to get basically any kind and level of dist/OD I wanted from it (plus this is an entertaining vid)-

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
yeah it was a little too smooth for me but I still loved it as an amp, definitely would consider getting one in the future and modding it to make it suit my tastes perfectly.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
new tubes, the right speakers, bias it, boost it... that's about all the "mods" necessary :)

oh, and a sweet guitar ;)

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
yeah 6505s or KT77s, rebias it hotter to around 34 ma, slap my Maxon in front of it and away!

Reaction score
yeah it was a little too smooth for me but I still loved it as an amp, definitely would consider getting one in the future and modding it to make it suit my tastes perfectly.

Oddly enough that's why I like it. I realized that that was the reason I didn't get along with so many other amps. I like the smooth distortion the JSX has, and amps that are high gain "metal" amps normally don't have that..so I was always at a loss.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I don't think I got to try it with a boost which I think may be why it wasn't quite to my tastes. I never like any amp without a boost... except a Triple Rectifier :cool:

Reaction score
I don't think I got to try it with a boost which I think may be why it wasn't quite to my tastes. I never like any amp without a boost... except a Triple Rectifier :cool:

When I first tried the boosting thing I hated it. Tried a TS808 and it was horrid..then with some tweaking it was pretty cool. Got the coffin blood drive and fell in love...now I don't use a boost at all..I find it unnecessary. I still keep it around to play with but I've grown out of the boosting thing it seems.

I would like to try some other boosts to hear how they effect my sound.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
My mark iii sounds pretty mellow if I keep the gain around 3, the 2 treble sliders on the GEQ on 25%, presence on 0, and don't dig into the strings too hard.
The cool thing about this is I can kick on a boost in front to make it a bit meaner sounding, then I can dig into the strings to make it meaner still, or I can roll off the volume and get a nice hairy clean.

I wub it.

Benjo230

Reaction score
Off Topic - Thank you for posting that video, really really liking some of their stuff :yesway:. Abit different than my normal stuff, so it's a nice change. Any recomendations for songs/albums?

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
This thread just got me into that band. Awesome.

Same here! Really really noice.

Oddly enough that's why I like it. I realized that that was the reason I didn't get along with so many other amps. I like the smooth distortion the JSX has, and amps that are high gain "metal" amps normally don't have that..so I was always at a loss.

That's good to know. I dig smooth distortion as well and had no idea of how the JSX sounded like. :yesway:

Reaction score
That's good to know. I dig smooth distortion as well and had no idea of how the JSX sounded like. :yesway:

It's a lead players amp..capable of some of the best lead tones I've personally heard in my opinion. Due to that, the voicing isn't that of your normal aggressive metal amp, so when you use it for that purpose it has a really unique tone..that's what I love about it.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Off Topic - Thank you for posting that video, really really liking some of their stuff :yesway:. Abit different than my normal stuff, so it's a nice change. Any recomendations for songs/albums?

Get both their albums: Themata and Sound Awake.

But listen to Themata first.

If you can find the Persona EP, get that too, and listen before Themata.

')