Snare dont make the snare sound anymore

• Thread starter ImBCRichBitch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
Im posting this for our drummer. hes using our bassist's drum kit and its set up at our church. the snare itself seems warped and dont make the sound anymore. just sounds like a drum. would we have to replace the whole drum or is there a way to repair it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Have you checked the snare clutch? When you release the snares they just sag. That could be the 'warping' you're talking about. The lever should be upright to engages the snares.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
Have you checked the snare clutch? When you release the snares they just sag. That could be the 'warping' you're talking about. The lever should be upright to engages the snares.
Yeah i know about that. Thats not it. Im not a drummer but i play a little and thsi isnt just the snare off.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Okay.
I've never encountered a warped snare before. But that's besides the point. You can just replace the snare itself for about $10. Very easy to install. Loosen up the nuts on the snare butt and the clutch. Some snares have a nylon strap and some have string. Put the strap through the butt, tighten the screws. The do the same on the clutch. Fine tune the tightness with the gear on the clutch.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
Okay.
I've never encountered a warped snare before. But that's besides the point. You can just replace the snare itself for about $10. Very easy to install. Loosen up the nuts on the snare butt and the clutch. Some snares have a nylon strap and some have string. Put the strap through the butt, tighten the screws. The do the same on the clutch. Fine tune the tightness with the gear on the clutch.
Well try that. Thanks man

Beat Poet

Reaction score
Are the heads in good condition? The quality and tuning of the bottom head affects the sound more than you'd think.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
If the snare clutch is tight and has the proper amount of wires, then it will snare. There is no way around this.

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
a warped snare is possible if it's a wooden snare and it's been left outside 24/7 someplace like Seattle.

i seriously doubt that's what's going on here, though.

tighten the clutch. just because the clutch is engaged doesn't mean the snares are making proper contact.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
snare skins break man, I've seen it happen to a band mid set. Just take it into a shop and get a new snare skin. They don't cost much, depending on what you want to get.

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
snare skins break man, I've seen it happen to a band mid set. Just take it into a shop and get a new snare skin. They don't cost much, depending on what you want to get.

what's a snare skin?

i'm assuming it's something i already know but don't realize it, as we probably call it something different here in the u.s.

ArrowHead

Reaction score
Snare Skin = Snare Head
They're called skins because....well they used to be made out of animal skins :idea:

correct, however since it can be pretty obvious a drum head is broken, I think what he was actually referring to is the snare strainer or the snare wires.

The snare wires are the part running under the bottom of the head that make a snare sound like a SNARE. The strainer is the hardware on the side of the drum that the wires connect to.

This thread is old, I'm sure the OP figured out his problem by now, but yes - everything here points to needing new snare wires, a problem with the strainer, or simply just not having it set up correctly/tightly enough.

')