So... 2016 smartphones. anybody upgrading?

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
There's been a couple of announcements for new flagship smartphones this year, with the galaxy s7 frontlining release dates on march 11th, and then the LG G5 in the following weeks

I will be getting a new phone 'cause mine is old AF and even though it still works fine, i think its time. (its an iphone 4s :lol:)

anyway, for those with newer phones, are you upgrading this year/why? also, to which one?

PS. There's this "new" chinese company "Xiaomi" and their mi5 looks mindblowing on specs/price ratio, but i literally know nothing about them besides they're supposed to be kicking apple's and samsung's ass in the mainland. Feels a bit like when the Oneplus one was announced. which ended being pretty meh.
LG looks "gimmicky" with all those attachments, but i can see the appeal for that.
S7 looks the same as the S6 :lol: just waterproof and microSD friendly (yay)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pkgitar

Reaction score
I don't have a new phone, but I do have a Xiaomi MI2s from early 2013 when they were released. It's still trucking, haven't really slowed down unless I put too much stuff on it so there's no space left. I'm pretty sure at the time it was on par, if not better, than the Galaxy S4 and it cost half as much (with my currency). Xiaomi isn't really a new company, it's just that recently they've made a push to western countries. They're HUGE in Asia. Like Samsung or Apple for us. They make good phones. I'm just not upgrading because after the 2-series all their phones are - for the lack of a better word - ....ing huge. To me anyway. I like the size of my 2S at 4.3". This is why I'm seriously eyeballing the new 4" iPhone that is being announced in a few weeks. Any other android phone around 4" is either super budget low spec, or some kinda freak tank monstrosity. The 6s along with the Galaxy is just expensive as .....

I don't NEED insane specs, but I do like to play games and browse the Internet at a relatively good speed. The 2S was just really good and cheap at the time because I could buy it straight from their dealer in China. So hopefully the new iPhone comes out at 4-500$, which is something I can live with. But paying over 950$ for a new phone (my currency, again)? Nah. I've got pedals to buy, mang!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I got the iPhone 6S+. I'm super happy with it. I use mine like a computer, so the large screen is awesome, it's super fast, and the battery lasts forever. I tried some android phones, but the iPhone just works better for me, because things just run in the background without me needing to horse around with it. My PC I don't mind doing a bunch of configuring, etc, but on my phone I want to know that everything works seamlessly, so I've been pretty happy with it. Either way, my advice would be to get a big ass screen. They're awesome.

Edit: I should say, though, don't get the regular 6 Plus. It really needs the 2 gigs of RAM to function well. But, even though it would cost a bunch, iPhones hold their value ridiculously well, so it's not tough to sell them later.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Waiting on the new 4" iphone. Not into the borderline tablet sized phones. I'm still using an iphone 5, my lady still has a 4S, and we're both itching to get something new.

sawtoothscream

Reaction score
Just bought my turbo 2 a few months ago so, nope. Usually upgrade every 2-3 years, would have kept the s3 if it's reception didn't suck.

chopeth

Reaction score
No, I think I'll keep using my 2008 mobile which was 8€ with a year permanence contract from the company :lol:

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Got an IPhone 6 Plus, probably stick with it for at least another year. Especially with how pricey the 128GB model was.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
looking at the new LG with with the added music buddy. i know its kind of stupid and hearkens back to the gameboy, but i like the idea of a peripheral that expands capability, rather than an overloaded phone *cough samsung cough* that tries to do everything

myrtorp

Jiggywiggy
Reaction score
Im still using my Iphone 5, it works as it should still. Im not a heavy user so I probably have atleast one more year on it :)

Not too keen on upgrading to be honest, but when I do it will be something other than apple probably, just because I want to try something else.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
The LG G5 has peaked my interest. I'm an LG fanboy (have owned 3 in the past currently have an Optimus GPro).

What's this new swap able hardware or whatever they call it now?

flint757

Reaction score
The only reason I'll upgrade currently is if I switch to Google's new network which means switching to a Nexus phone as well. Otherwise my HTC One M8 serves its purpose well enough.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
My S5 is due for an upgrade in November, but if it's still holding on I may just wait another few months when the 2017 phones roll out; especially since there's nothing new in Q4, despite it being around Christmas time.

Promit

Reaction score
Wife's aiming at an S7, whenever it arrives finally. I need one for work too, as we're expanding into Android dev (uuugggghhh). My iPhone 6 is fine for now, I'm mildly curious what the 7 brings but mostly my battery meter's gone bonkers. So maybe I'll upgrade when that rolls around. I've got my eye on new system encryption/privacy features, one of the reasons I don't run Android for my personal phone.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Two weeks in with my new Blu Vivo XL, I am very satisfied. It is my first phone that runs Android. It only cost 150$, but honestly I can't imagine how or why a more expensive Samsung or LG could be any different or better. Battery lasts all day, can be removed and replaced, room for 2 SIMs and 2 SD cards for memory expansion

Having gotten this for so comparatively cheap, i dont see how I can ever justify buying more expensive phones ever again.

Pav

???
Reaction score
I'll be eligible to upgrade my Galaxy S5 in about 6 months...and I'm looking at a Galaxy S7 Edge. Those edges...

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
I've decided to stop messing around and preordered the galaxy S7 edge. I should have it by this weekend. i'll make sure to let you guys (Or Pav, at least :lol:) if its worth it.

Here in korea i'm starting to feel out of place by not having a samsung phone :rolleyes:

It's definitely on the expensive side, but I haven't spent money in phones in a while so i was like fuk it lol. On the plus side, its so goddamn beautiful.

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
Been a Sony fan for a while, so the Z5 is looking damn good. But for whatever reason, their US flagships are crippled in some way, compared to the international version.

I used an xperia active for a few years and LOVED it! Not the most powerful phone, but designed very well. It's s tiny, water proof and very durable.

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score
Nope, Nexus 5X is plenty good enough for me.

The only reason I updated from Nexus 4 was that it stopped getting official updates, and I need that for my work.

Reaction score
I'm due for an upgrade this month, just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I've currently got a Motorola and hate it. I've had my eye on a couple of Samsungs.

')