So, explain this compressor/noise gate trick?

• Thread starter Bruiser
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiser

Banned
Reaction score
I've seen it on here multiple times where people are running compressors and noise gates to achieve very staccato chugs, or something like that. What exactly does this do, how is it done, what sequence, etc? Is this a "djent"/metalcore thing, or could this be beneficial for other metal styles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
I think you may mean where the compressor and noise gate fight eachother for sonic right.

The comp wants to sustain and ring out notes where the noise gate wants to shut them up. when they work together you can find a happy medium where the noise gate doesn't chop off notes to early because the compressor is trying to sustain them.

Hope that makes sense.

drenzium

Reaction score
compressor > noise suppressor > tubescreamer > noise suppressor

it's just to cut down the excessive noise that the pedals introduce, one for each one, to achieve perfect stop start riffing

it could benefit all genres, but djent requires almost robotic insanely tight palm muting, so this method helps considerably with it

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score

it's just to cut down the excessive noise that the pedals introduce, one for each one, to achieve perfect stop start riffing

it could benefit all genres, but djent requires almost robotic insanely tight palm muting, so this method helps considerably with it

:agreed:

Bruiser

Banned
Reaction score
I play death metal and need equally tight palm muting and staccato with it. I've got a Decimator ProRack, if I run a compressor into it, out to a OD and back into the second channel that'll do the trick right? I might have to grab me a compressor soon and try this out.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
You don't always need x amount of compressors or y amount of gates.

My bandmate uses a dynacomp and smartgate to achieve this with his Mk IV, and it works great. Very clean cut chugga chugga and what have you.

I just use a TS808 and gate (in that order) on my Roadster, which gives me my boost, extra sustain, and the gate chops everything else off. I also have them both switched on then in a loop box (or will when the box is done, lol). It depends on the amp. If you're using something like an ENGL or Peavey which can get very noisy, you may need to alter
the setup, but it really depends on what amp you're using I think.

I also use bits of spongey foam (comes in pickup boxes) to damp my trem springs and the strings above the nut. This was definitely worth doing.

joelozzy

RG7 Whore
Reaction score

What would adding a compressor at the beginning of the chain do in that situation. I'm looking at purchasing a Dunlop compressor but unsure of it's effect.

I'm currently running ISP Dec > OD808 > MXR Smart Gate. Would I achieve much with a compressor infront of the lot? Or where would it go? I know nothing about compressors help would be much appreciated. I play through a 6505+.

Sorry to thread jack if I did. I'm just ISO some help :)

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Any Ideas?

I can't speak for everyone (aka I could be the only one here :lol:) but I just use a lil compression and I find it juices up my tone a lot. I don't even go for a bit of clipping, it's almost for the tone circuits, it seems, and the signal boost, obviously. I find a compressor's signal boost is a lot sweeter and smoother than an 808-style, so they compliment each other nicely. And yeah, getting the extra sustain helps, too.

Sadly, my compressor died, gotta get a new one one of these days. I want the Keeley, but they're so expensive :noway: haha.

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
thinkin of a comp myself for a bit of a boost and personally I'd hit up the MXR line up cause well, its MXR

')