So Gaga wants to meet with Obama about bullying

• Thread starter Rev2010
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Lady Gaga wants to meet with Obama over bullying - Yahoo! News

OK, this outrages the living shit out of me. She's a singer (and I withhold my opinion of her as it's not relevant to the discussion)... what gives her the idea that she automatically deserves audience with the president, who mind you, probably has other issues on his agenda and probably couldn't fix bullying any better than he's fixed anything else!?

Sure bullying is awful and should be dealt with... but god damn stop with creating more and more laws for each and every separate instance of everything!!! Bullying should fall under harassment and if there's a physical altercation involved then also under assault. There is NO need for separate "bullying" laws. This country is getting so far out of hand it's downright scary.

Rev.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pink freud

Reaction score
Obama should meet with her and then when she is done with her spiel say, "Look, I agree with you, but you should really talk to congress about this. They are the ones who create laws. Didn't you ever see School House Rock?"

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I get a bigger kick out of the WWE's anti-bullying campaign:

WWE Corporate - The Creative Coalition and WWE Launch Anti-Bullying Alliance

As if it isn't known and well publicized that the company's owner is one of the biggest bullies ever to bully in the history of bullying. ;)

Anyway, back on OT, I agree that this is stupid, and I'm upset by the idea that there's really no way out: If he sees her, he's "wasting time when he should be fixing x or y", but if he doesn't see her, he's "discriminating" or "supporting bullying", or however the talking head of the day chooses to frame it against him. By the mere act of suggesting the meeting, Gaga has forced POTUS into a lose-lose situation. :mad:

murakami

Banned
Reaction score
hey, if lady gaga went to my school i'd probably bully her too. she acts like an idiot.

the president's time is valuable and clearly that boob doesn't see anything beyond her own priorities. if she wants a meeting with him, she better respect him by wearing proper and ethical business attire as well.

Anyway, back on OT, I agree that this is stupid, and I'm upset by the idea that there's really no way out: If he sees her, he's "wasting time when he should be fixing x or y", but if he doesn't see her, he's "discriminating" or "supporting bullying", or however the talking head of the day chooses to frame it against him. By the mere act of suggesting the meeting, Gaga has forced POTUS into a lose-lose situation.

if she claims he doesn't care about bullying he can say, "bitch, we owe trillions of dollars to china! china is going to fucking bully us if i don't do something!"

pink freud

Reaction score
hey, if lady gaga went to my school i'd probably bully her too. she acts like an idiot.

Pretty sure you would have tried to get in her pants, just like I would have:
images

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Bullying laws won't do shit, you need to tackle the root cause of the bullying. Homophobia. Xenophobia. All that needs to be addressed. You should change people instead of changing the punishment.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Bullying laws won't do shit, you need to tackle the root cause of the bullying. Homophobia. Xenophobia. All that needs to be addressed. You should change people instead of changing the punishment.

^^ This man is smart!!

And this is Gaga natural now:

lady-gaga-natural-look-2.jpg

Gaga4c.jpg

No... I wouldn't do her :noplease:

Rev.

Blind Theory

Reaction score
I was bullied throughout school. The way I see it, no bully law will ever stop it. There will always be a dark corner with no one around but you and some asshole, there will always be a push over teacher who will hear a comment but let it slide, etc, etc, etc...you can't stop it. Bullies feel power when they do what they do. People like power. In a lot of cases these bullies come from broken homes where they are constantly put down as well. The solution is never going to be bullying laws. The solution is in the home. That is where it starts. If your parents raise you well at all you won't do it.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Or maybe, if we educate the kids about bullying and such so that we won't NEED separate laws that waste the President's, and everyone else's time, SHOULD he meet with her; then we'll be making some progress and the problem will iron itself out.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly think the problem is lawyers are writing all these laws to keep income flowing in and fund the greedy legal institution. I work for a law firm and we have a partner that wrote 2 books on the legal system being out of control and over-legislation.

Now if bullying laws come into effect it won't just be a school/parents/police issue, now there will be lawyers involved and suing for large sums of money!! All of which the lawyer gets his income from. So lawyers jump on this type of opportunity to make further laws to keep their big checks flowing in. Call me a nut but I wholeheartedly believe this.

Rev.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I honestly think the problem is lawyers are writing all these laws to keep income flowing in and fund the greedy legal institution. I work for a law firm and we have a partner that wrote 2 books on the legal system being out of control and over-legislation.

Now if bullying laws come into effect it won't just be a school/parents/police issue, now there will be lawyers involved and suing for large sums of money!! All of which the lawyer gets his income from. So lawyers jump on this type of opportunity to make further laws to keep their checks flowing in. Call me a nut but I wholeheartedly believe this.

Rev.

You're probably right. I actually recently started studying a bit of law on my university course. These guys make ridiculous amounts of money, even if the compensation the people who instigated the case only received a small amount (Lawyers can receive hundreds of thousands while the claimant can only get say $10,000 in comparison, far less than the overall costs).

Imo we should be turning less to the law to deal with disputes, and more to common sense. We should be addressing issues as a society, and taking these things into our own hands if possible (without stepping into the realms of vigilantism). If we could do that, I think people would be more understanding and society in general would be more savvy.

murakami

Banned
Reaction score

Now if bullying laws come into effect it won't just be a school/parents/police issue, now there will be lawyers involved and suing for large sums of money!! All of which the lawyer gets his income from. So lawyers jump on this type of opportunity to make further laws to keep their big checks flowing in. Call me a nut but I wholeheartedly believe this.

Rev.

great, now we'll have people suing the schoolboard and have even less money for education. in my area, teachers go on strike ALL the time or at least once a year. i know how much they make and it's not bad. they are just greedy pricks... makes a whole lot of sense when the teacher cares more for their paycheck and not for the children's education... which results in degeneration in youths; which is happening now :rolleyes:

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
This is the biggest problem I have with celebrities. And truth be told, it's not even their fault, but rather the people who elevate them. For some reason, people are obsessed with the opinions of celebrities despite the fact that said celebrities aren't anymore qualified to give their opinions on a given subject than you or I. For example, this. What, if any, indicators exist to say that Lady Gaga is some kind of expert on the subject of bullying? Probably nothing, but because she's become famous through some endeavour that is completely unrelated to the topic, her voice is given more credence than the rest.

I'm not saying her cause isn't noble, but just because someone is a succesful musician doesn't mean we should give anymore of a shit what they think on other topics than anyone else.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not saying her cause isn't noble, but just because someone is a succesful musician doesn't mean we should give anymore of a shit what they think on other topics than anyone else.

Actually, this is a double-edged sword because in one sense, you have "Well, they're a big time celebrity, they don't have to deal with this stuff, so why should we take their advice on it?" However, at the same time you have to remember they WERE young just like you were, and may have dealt with it and might still be dealing with it - albeit a different manner, ie hatemail etc... - so it kind of humanizes them too.

AxeHappy

Reaction score

Rev.

This is actually a large part of the reason lawyers created legalese. You have hire one just to understand what the fuck the law is saying.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Completely. The legal system, and in fact many consumer relation services too are deliberately made so complex that anyone trying to achieve justice often give up eventually.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, this is a double-edged sword because in one sense, you have "Well, they're a big time celebrity, they don't have to deal with this stuff, so why should we take their advice on it?" However, at the same time you have to remember they WERE young just like you were, and may have dealt with it and might still be dealing with it - albeit a different manner, ie hatemail etc... - so it kind of humanizes them too.

I'm not saying that they can't know anything about the subjects that they're advocating, just that many people will believe practically anything a celebrity says on any topic and accept it as gospel truth, regardless of whether or not what they're saying is actually correct. For example, if I told you that stem cell research was morally wrong, you'd probably ignore me and form your own opinion on the subject, as you should. However, if Lady Gaga said that stem cell research was morally wrong, thousands of people would then base their opinion on the topic around what she said, simply because she's a celebrity.

')