So Gaga wants to meet with Obama about bullying

• Thread starter Rev2010
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chronocide

Total Grind Hell
Reaction score
I do think celebrities can be important in highlighting issues. People are more likely to pay attention to a celebrity rather than a politician, and the fact we've even debating this topic shows Gaga has succeeded in making people think about how we treat bullying.

:yesway:

It's a little saddening that the opinions of celebrities might often be held above those of experts in whatever field, but if someone brings an important issue to light, I don't really care who they are.

Furthermore, if you are in a position where people will take notice of what you say and you might be able to be influential on a subject you are passionate about, you have a duty to try and bring it to the public and governmental eye.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
^^^^
(vampire)
Totally agree. I didn't mean to imply there was only one cause or one solution to bullying (i was sort of just riffing), though one needs to ask "why are these bullies being such cunts". The answer surely isn't "because they are cunts. Cunts act cunty" there is probably some other issues at play, whether self-esteem based, societal/moral flaws or whatever. A law or heavy punishment might indeed be successful in curbing behavior, at least temporarily, but like you said I wouldn't have felt comfortable going to an authority figure unless i knew something would be done to fix things on a more permanent level. Rather than the half-assed dressing down given to bullies by authority figures that i spoke of, both bully and victim need some sort of further attention given to their respective side of the problem. Law or no law, most bullies probably know that what they are doing is wrong and would hate it if the shoe were on the other foot. Those that know this usually only need minimal correction, but those that don't...i suppose could benefit from seeing large deterrence's put up. Not sure any new laws are needed though, just proper classification of current bullying crimes -> assault, abuse, battery, etc. not "bullying" as it is just another word for assault anyway

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
I should add that i despise Gaga, but it's great seeing her making news for something important rather than "OMG...she's wearing a hat made out of dildos. GEEEENIUUUUS"

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
It's a little saddening that the opinions of celebrities might often be held above those of experts in whatever field, but if someone brings an important issue to light, I don't really care who they are.

Just for the record, I didn't intend to imply by posting this thread that celebrities opinions are negligible nor that they should stick to their profession and not do something to help with current issues such as this. My point was that she tweeted, "I'm going to meet with Obama" to discuss bullying and how to deal with it - which you know means via legal methods 99% of the time cause what else would Obama do for this??

The fact that she stated this without even having setup an actual appointment is pure arrogance, and simply thinking that just because she's a famous pop singer that she should deserve audience with him disgusts me. That and the fact that she thinks the president needs to be involved with this which I find ridiculous.

And as mentioned of course this usually leads to more legislation. Soon we'll be spending millions in legal trial waste just trying to define if someone's charges should fall under bullying or a hate crime. "I'm a black kid and this white kid beat me up" - well gee... is that a hate crime now or bullying cause they went to the same school? It's just getting way way out of hand. Again, good for her to want to do something, but she's a fucking idiot for going about it this way.

Heck, I think her simply spouting her acceptance rants during her concerts probably help more people to face bullying then anything the president could do.

Rev.

Reaction score
I think it's cool that she's attempting to do something. Even though it may be considered misguided, it's cool to see someone doing something with their celebrity status. The issue with Gaga is the poor chick can't win for losing. If she shuts up and sticks to music she a "talentless hack without a brain blah blah" and if she tries, seemingly because she really cares it's "dumb ugly bitch is just stupid and takes herself to seriously blah blah".

On a topic like bullying I don't think laws will help but it will take many solutions to conquer the overall problem which is very huge. Whereas some might not agree with what she's doing, she's doing SOMETHING, not just with her music and message, but actually trying to, if nothing else, use the publicity to get people to talk about it.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
^^^ I think you missed the point a bit. Read my post right before yours.

Rev.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I just find it hypocritical that she has a to be honest, quite slutty image with the typical grinding up against guys half naked thing and tries to be a role model for young girls. If Adele had done this I'd be more behind her because she is a better role model imo. She's not as sexually charged and relies on her talent. Plus she's more attractive imo. Bigger girls ftw.

Pooluke41

H. Maddas
Reaction score
. Bigger girls ftw.

10217821.jpg

But Seriously, Lady Gaga Was amusing at first, And Now she's become this Large Attention Whoring Entity, Much like a Hipster,

And as Everyone else has said, You can't go to the Government to stop Bullying, It doesn't work...

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
And as Everyone else has said, You can't go to the Government to stop Bullying, It doesn't work...

It even sounds funny saying it right!? - "I'm gonna go to the government to talk about bullying" LOL

Also it's funny cause our government is a bully itself.

Rev.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I was the really skinny kid with the huge head growing up, bully fucking magnet.

What did I do when I got bullied? What everyone and the media tells you to do... I beat the shit out of kids...

Unfortunately that got me kicked out of the specific school in the 4th grade xD

But uh, the bullies ended up victims of me... and I never bullied anyone. People just need to learn to handle their shit better.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I honestly think the problem is lawyers are writing all these laws to keep income flowing in and fund the greedy legal institution. I work for a law firm and we have a partner that wrote 2 books on the legal system being out of control and over-legislation.

Now if bullying laws come into effect it won't just be a school/parents/police issue, now there will be lawyers involved and suing for large sums of money!! All of which the lawyer gets his income from. So lawyers jump on this type of opportunity to make further laws to keep their big checks flowing in. Call me a nut but I wholeheartedly believe this.

Rev.

Not to mention how many people will out and out lie or go overboard with something (ie everyone in every lawsuit ever...not really but you know what I mean :lol:), so more bureaucracy, more money out of normal people's hands into that of the one who whines the most, and nothing actually getting done. Huzzah.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I dunno, every bully needs to be beaten the shit out of at least once. Pretty sure it will make them look at things differently.

Blind Theory

Reaction score
I dunno, every bully needs to be beaten the shit out of at least once. Pretty sure it will make them look at things differently.

Sometimes assertion does work. This guy had been bullying me and another friend because we were smaller than him. He said we wouldn't do anything. He kept walking by us hitting us in the head so we got up and made him stop. He also had just had surgery on his elbow so threats and "attempts" at injuring that elbow shut him down quickly. Sometimes you just need to get physical. Otherwise your message won't get across. It's as simple as that.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Once my friend was getting bullied, so I threw a skipping rope around the bully's neck and dragged him across the playground. Didn't get bothered by him again. :lol:

murakami

Banned
Reaction score
bully' are pretty simple. thye pray on people hoping that they will not retaliate. they're looking for a specific reaction so they can continue their bullying. if they get a reaction of confrontation, it will stop.

i remember in high school there was this dumb shit, who talked to shit to me but only when his friends were around. at the time, i was boxing and nobody knew since i was skipping out on class to do it. after i noticed him making snide remarks, i was actually training to fuck him up real bad and made that my motivation to train harder. so one day i went up to him when his friends weren't around and i said, "whats your problem with me?" to which he replied, "i am just joking, man. chill." it's funny because i hadn't even gotten to the part that i wanted to fight him.

i wanted to punch him there and then, but the time had passed. after that nothing happened. it's strange that he wanted to be my friend afterwards though. every conversation he tried to have with me, i gave him the notion i wasn't interested in what he was spewing.

confontration is the ultimate weapon against bully'. ignoring them aint going to do shit and having someone else fight your fucking battles isn't going to work either e.g. the government.

this is the schoolboards job and they don't do shit because they don't care. they really have to screen these teachers and weed out the ones who're just looking for a job. i remember in my elementary school days my teachers were very passionate about teaching. a better connection with the students as well. i think bully' are easy to notice and if the teachers really cared they would step in themselves.

')