So here is Tony Macalpine's new 8 string.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
I have affirmed it. It is a kahler.
It has a flat part on the side. Gilbarator floyd doesn't have a flat side.

227.jpg

kahler-pro-2300-series-bridge-2T.jpg

pink freud

Reaction score
Hmm, weedly weedlies on that low of a register.

Would they be woudly woudlies at that point?

ma7erick

Left Handed Shecter
Reaction score
I wonder what's happening with Tony... Its been a while since he's not playing with Vai. Maybe that 8 string means something new is coming.

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
That's definitely a Kahler bridge, yes. What confuses me is that normally Kahler's locking systems are placed after the nut, are they not? That seems to be the normal floyd rose style locking nut. I thought I read somewhere about how Kahlers don't work with those, but I'm not sure :shrug: that is a Kahler though, definitly.

amassivetree

Reaction score
There have been a few styles of Kahler locknut, including the behind the bridge one, one that was like a floyd nut but with flip-up (no wrench) clips to lock the strings.. on the eight string, its just like a floyd nut. My Interceptor has one.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Man, what a boring guitar. Such a shame. his carvins were cooler.
Yeah. I was expexcting so crazy colored quilt maple top 8 string or something.
But he is a brand new endorser so, he may not get a new guitar. Like the New Ibanez endorsers from what I know. Can only modify certain production guitars at first.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty bog standard, but I guess as it is it's a good guitar and will let him do what he needs it to do at this stage.

MaKo´s Tethan

Reaction score
In my opinion...Ibanez gave that guitar to him (with money, dah) for a market strategy, because Dino and Meshuggah just sell guitars to the metal public, and with this, the common people will say "oh! you really can play a guitar with 8 strings, not just diabolic metal".

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
I don't know how Ibanez does it but I do know some people who have endorsements with PRS and other brands. Usually, unless they are a super megastar with a signature model that sells really well they just get free guitars. That is good enough coupled with the publicity from the website and other marketing. I would be surprised if T Mac got paid to leave Carvin. If Carvin made an 8 string I may wonder about being paid. T Mac is great but that doesn't make him worth paying to play your guitars on top of giving him free guitars and publicity. I don't think that he would attract enough new business to the brand.

')