So here is Tony Macalpine's new 8 string.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

myconfidenceinu

Reaction score
tony is making a new album with planet x - thts why he's got the 8 string. i think he's probably stuck with carvin, but maybe 1 or 2 songs uses the 8 string on

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Perhaps Carvin wasn't willing to make him an 8-string.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
tony is making a new album with planet x - thts why he's got the 8 string. i think he's probably stuck with carvin, but maybe 1 or 2 songs uses the 8 string on
Yeah he also has a s series 7 string. Stock I think with different pickups.

AySay

Banned
Reaction score
I find it appalling that TMac only has 140-something fans on FB :eek:
and +1 on the "it looks boring" comments...

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
well, he just switched to ibanez a short time ago right? He's got a stock s7320 and this 2228 so far. maybe he's just trying to figure out what he likes before committing to a full on LACS.?

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Simple but gorgeous. Will be interesting to see what he does with it.

xmetalhead69

Unexpected Ally
Reaction score
^ it will probably be either really high meedly meedlys or really low meedly meedlys. (aka moddly moddlys, which sounds kind of terrible when you type it that way)

Jazzedout

Reaction score
Am I the only one who suspects it might be a neck-through? Look at the neck joint. Kahler trem, no fret markers, looks like LACS job to me...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's either a LACS or a LACS re-done RG2228. I've seen a lot of LACS modified guitars in the hands of lower level/newer artists, the former which T-Mac would be.

One of the main reasons I think this is a LACS modified is the bridge choice. In the past the LACS 8s with trems have used a custom "Floyd" style unit, which I believe was a TRS of some type, opposed to an off the shelf Kahler. I know T-Mac used "Floyds" in the past, so if built from the ground up, don't you think he would opt for a "Floyd"?

Xiphos68

Reaction score
It's either a LACS or a LACS re-done RG2228. I've seen a lot of LACS modified guitars in the hands of lower level/newer artists, the former which T-Mac would be.

One of the main reasons I think this is a LACS modified is the bridge choice. In the past the LACS 8s with trems have used a custom "Floyd" style unit, which I believe was a TRS of some type, opposed to an off the shelf Kahler. I know T-Mac used "Floyds" in the past, so if built from the ground up, don't you think he would opt for a "Floyd"?
Maybe he thought kahler's are better now?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe he thought kahler's are better now?

That is always a possibility, he is using a ZR as well now (S7320). As soon as better pics are available it'll be easier to tell.

As for it being neck-thru, I held up my RG2228 in the mirror at about the same position as T-Mac has his, and it looks pretty much identical as far as the neck joint goes. Gotta love the ol' AANJ.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Interesting - I wonder if he's going for BEADGBEA.....might be the angle and lighting but that doesn't look like an F#.....

Still, I actually like that. It's not visually amazing but it's a good solid 8 string that I would happily play myself given half a chance :D

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Wow. Interesting to see Tony MacALpine is with Ibanez now.
Also, that he's playing 8-strings now. I'm very much looking forward to his new recording where he's using them.:yesway:

')