So how many of you are going 8 string?

• Thread starter 7 Strings of Hate
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
i know the 8 string is just around the corner, how many of you think you might try out the 8 stringers? i know many of you have orders in place already, personally, i would love to have an 8 stringer, but as it is with 7's, i'm sure the amount of gear and parts pertaining to 8's will almost be non existant unless custom made, also, even if this 8 kicks ass, i really dont think they will continue production models unless they only made like a hundred of them, and i'm sure a big company like that wont be satisfied just makeing a small amount of consumers happy, they want the big bucks, i am considering trying an 8 in the near future, but i think i'd go custom made at this point, besides, the price is 1500 for the new ibby isnt it? you could get a custom made for that ballpark, i'm sure it would be more, but it would be customized to you. any clue on how many they are producing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
I found it to be cheaper to make my own, its gonna be about 900.00US, which is about 700, cheaper than the ibbym and IMO probably better quality in sense of body wood, and the fact it will be neck thru, but Im going for the high A route, and only 25.5" with 27 frets, so I guess I wont be getting the Ibby 8, but I will be "getting" an 8 string none the less,:)

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Not really interested currently. If i were to get an 8, it'd be a used ibanez one, or i'd get a custom one. as it stands, i am quite satisfied with 7.

Snake Doctor

Antiquing?
Reaction score
Yeh not really interested either, 7 strings and B/A tunings are low enough for me.

I can't really see the 8 string thing massively taking off, not like sevens anyway.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
adam, where did you get your quote at man, thats fuckin cheap!!
i agree with u guys that said the 7 is enough, i dont think i would ever go past a 7 exclusivly, then again, i have never played one, but i do like the idea of having a high a added instead of going with an f or g or what ever the lowest standard note is on an 8, but i dont want to knock it till i try it, i'm actually waiting on gary goodman to get in those tiny strings, i'm gonna take my only electric 6, a les paul, and put somekind of fucked up tuning on it, but i want to make it higher than normal, with a high a and perhapse even higher, i know he has some strings that go down to .003 or something

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeh not really interested either, 7 strings and B/A tunings are low enough for me.

I can't really see the 8 string thing massively taking off, not like sevens anyway.

I'd love an 8 with a high A string, though. B-A would be great for touchstyle playing.

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
adam, where did you get your quote at man, thats fuckin cheap!!
i agree with u guys that said the 7 is enough, i dont think i would ever go past a 7 exclusivly, then again, i have never played one, but i do like the idea of having a high a added instead of going with an f or g or what ever the lowest standard note is on an 8, but i dont want to knock it till i try it, i'm actually waiting on gary goodman to get in those tiny strings, i'm gonna take my only electric 6, a les paul, and put somekind of fucked up tuning on it, but i want to make it higher than normal, with a high a and perhapse even higher, i know he has some strings that go down to .003 or something

Mike Shermans going to build the neck for me, I have the body wings cut out already, Im getting a very good deal on the hipshot bridge because a Canadian builder here buy them in bulk, my friend bought me all the string ferrules, the toggle switch and alot of other misc. parts as a favor, andthe EMG 808's only cost $128($1 more than 707's!!!!!!!!!!) as said by an EMG representitive.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Not really interested currently. If i were to get an 8, it'd be a used ibanez one, or i'd get a custom one. as it stands, i am quite satisfied with 7.

Same here. I don't really need anything lower than the low B and I'm not particularly interested in having anything higher than my high E (that 24th fret E gets higher than I'm ever really interested in going). I'm also not interested in getting an even THICKER neck.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
damn, i thought there might be a little more support for an 8 string, you guys arent afraid are you? :)

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
dont juggle the balls for ya huh? lol , i like that :) well chris, i guess its your duty as our adminishredder to give us a nice review when that sucker gets to ya , i'm 50/50 on the subject, but like i said, i aint gonna knock it till i try it

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a Halo Octavia 8 on order. Should be here within 71 days. I definitely don't see it being my main guitar, but it should definitely be cool to play around with and the price for the specs I wanted was low enough that I jumped on it.

Betterlaidplans

Lurker Extraordinair
Reaction score
I'm not sold on one just yet. Maybe I'd get one for the sake of having the first ibanez 8-string. The man drive for more (more horsepower, more volume etc) is a fan though but even thats not enough to justify the price tag.

O and did they announce what the factory tuning is supposed to be?

')