So how many of you are going 8 string?

• Thread starter 7 Strings of Hate
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RondoAllaTurca

Reaction score
I went to 7s after a while of playing 6s, but even the 7 doesn't have enough for me. I think I am going to skip 8 strings, and even 9 strings, and go straight for a 10!

Anyone know of companies that will actually build one for me, at a decent price?

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I am interested in trying one, perhaps even owning one, but I think 7's are perfect as is, and I don't think I will ever change in terms of what I mainly write with. I also won't be paying $1499 for one, I'll try to get one at cost or something :)

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
RondoAllaTurca said:
went to 7s after a while of playing 6s, but even the 7 doesn't have enough for me. I think I am going to skip 8 strings, and even 9 strings, and go straight for a 10!

Anyone know of companies that will actually build one for me, at a decent price?

Thanks

I would suggest contacting msherman and dpm on this forum. Both can build you what you need. :D

jtm45

Reaction score
I've got nothing against 8 (or 9 or 10...)string guitars but i certainly don't intend to get one.
I know from playing 7's that if the neck was any bigger my playing would be affected and i wouldn't be able to move around the neck as fluently.
That's why i like Ibanez 7's so much.The necks feel just about the right size for my hand.Even 7's that have chunkier necks piss me off. That's why i've never been tempted to get a Schecter 7.I like the actual guitars but i just don't find the necks comfortable enough.
There is also the thing about having extra range and all that.:scratch:
Maybe i'm just a limited player but i never suddenly think when i'm playing one of my 7's "Shit,if only this fuckin' thing had more range i could do so much more...".
There are people that can do great stuff with 8,9 and 10 strings but i'm just not in that league,and i think a lot of the people who will go out and buy one of the Ibanez 8's aren't either.
Sadly i think there's a certain type of person who will buy one just so they can say they've got an 8 string (sad but true!).:agreed:

D

Desecrated

I've got nothing against 8 (or 9 or 10...)string guitars but i certainly don't intend to get one.
I know from playing 7's that if the neck was any bigger my playing would be affected and i wouldn't be able to move around the neck as fluently.
That's why i like Ibanez 7's so much.The necks feel just about the right size for my hand.Even 7's that have chunkier necks piss me off. That's why i've never been tempted to get a Schecter 7.I like the actual guitars but i just don't find the necks comfortable enough.

This is one factor that is actually legit. My hands are huge, I think schecter feels wonderfull. But oher guitars feels a little to thin, I dont think my hands will have any problem with and 8. But I understand does who will have it,

There is also the thing about having extra range and all that.:scratch:
Maybe i'm just a limited player but i never suddenly think when i'm playing one of my 7's "Shit,if only this fuckin' thing had more range i could do so much more...".

Did you feel limited when you played 6-string befre you picked up the 7string, do you feel limited if you pick up a 6-string today?

When I played the 6-string I felt like it was to much to handle some times, I almost never used to top 4 frets and pretty much nothing below 17 fret.
But today having both a sevenstring with a low b and one with a high A I find myself writting song that are of more range.
I think it is going to take some time to get used to the 8 string, but once you get used to it, you will appriciate the extra range.

There are people that can do great stuff with 8,9 and 10 strings but i'm just not in that league,and i think a lot of the people who will go out and buy one of the Ibanez 8's aren't either.

I cant play guitar even if my life depended on it, therefore I have a 7 string. The extra string makes it easier to play for me. I can do different boxes and fingering that others may have problem doing on a 6 string, and when they listen to my recordings and try to tab it out, they think that I actually can play, having 2 more strings compared to a 6 string would just confuse them even more, making me look almost half-good.

Sadly i think there's a certain type of person who will buy one just so they can say they've got an 8 string (sad but true!).:agreed:

True

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Thanks Frank! I couldn't resist putting some kind of subtle self promotion is this thread :lol:

hehehe, yeah. But come one man, your job it's awsome, you'r really an artist on that, i wish yo uthe best, you have some awsome skills.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted an 8 for a time, but seeing the Ibanez put me off, too much of a compromise (too short scale, basswood body, EMGs, horrible headstock, overpriced)
So I'm doing a custom baritone 7 based on a S7320 with 30"ish scale, and I'll start an 8 string S project in a year or two I guess.

If Agile release an offordable 8 and the specs are good I'll get one for sure (minimum 28" 5/8 scale)

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
This is one factor that is actually legit. My hands are huge, I think schecter feels wonderfull. But oher guitars feels a little to thin, I dont think my hands will have any problem with and 8. But I understand does who will have it,

As I already mentioned in my post, the super thick fretboard is one reason why I wouldn't want an 8 (well, I'd want one if someone gave me one). When I went from six to seven, I had to raise my strap on my guitar because of the extra thickness of the neck. I think the Ibanez 7's neck is comfortable, but any thicker and it would no longer be comfortable.

Did you feel limited when you played 6-string befre you picked up the 7string, do you feel limited if you pick up a 6-string today?

When I played the 6-string I felt like it was to much to handle some times, I almost never used to top 4 frets and pretty much nothing below 17 fret.
But today having both a sevenstring with a low b and one with a high A I find myself writting song that are of more range.
I think it is going to take some time to get used to the 8 string, but once you get used to it, you will appriciate the extra range.

Yes, I did feel limited when I played 6-strings before I bought a 7-string. The reason I bought a 7-string was because I felt limited. Among the many reasons I bought one was, oftentimes when I was playing riffs in standard, I wanted to go lower, but there was no extra string. When I was playing in a very dropped tuning, I wanted to play high notes (for a solo or something), but they weren't there. I heard "Zombie Autopilot" by Unearth and I thought, "Wow. You can do that with a 7-string?" (the only experience I had ever had with 7-strings before that was Korn/other nu metal bands and TDW and he has his guitar tuned lower than a standard-tuned 8-string, his guitar having a low F) and I started to listen to Joe Satriani and Steve Vai seven-string tracks, as well as found some other bands that used 7-strings to their full potential and I started really craving one. It was the solution to my limitations I'd been feeling.

BUT I don't need a 8. Why? In my old band, I played in 1 step down and I thought A was a little too low. Bb sounded good and B sounded perfect, but the A was a little too low. I seriously have no need to go below B. If I did get an 8-string, I would add an extra high string, but I'm afraid of the high A breaking (they have a tendency to do that) and I also don't really want something that high-pitched. Then you might say "Well, do you need the high notes on your high E?" and I'd answer "Not all of the them. I very rarely play above the 15th fret on my E string."

I don't see it as me being closed-minded. I'm not opposed to 8, 9, or 10 strings. I'm actually very interested in trying them out. But, for the same reason I don't tune my low B any lower, I don't want a low F#. I personally don't really like Meshuggah's music and, eh, I just don't see much justification for me personally to go that low. You could say "then tune higher." And, if I did have an eight, I would tune higher, but I'm not really killing for an extra high string and, as I said, I'd be worried about finding a string that wouldn't break at high A at a 27" scale (which is the scale I believe the Ibanez eight is).

Even on my 7-string, I use the E string a lot more than I use the B string because it's pretty dang low in my opinion. Today at practice, my bass player was commenting on how good my guitar's tone was and then he commented, "But, damn, that low B is low, isn't it?" and I said, "It sure is." Neither of us would want to take that to F#.

Just personal reasons. All the more power to those who want an eight. :shrug:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Before the specifics of the 2228 were released, I was pissing myself in anticipation for it. Since it turned out to be basswood at a 27" scale, I'm going to look around a bit more. I finally set up one of my guitars for 8-string low range tuning (since I tune drop Ab, I ended up going with Eb-Ab-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb), and I've found that I don't really want to use a .80. At 30", the tension, intonation, and overall feel are great, but I don't like how it sounds, and I'd like to go lighter, maybe down to .74 or .72 if possible. There's no way I'm going to be able to do that on a 27" scale. I'm going to wait and see what, if anything, Rondo ends up putting out. I'm also toying around with the idea of getting a Halo or a custom. Those Blackmachines are freaking sexy as hell, too. I swear those things could just about make me djent myself.

I can see myself going as far as 9 strings (the 9th being an extra high one of course), but beyond that seems silly to me for my purposes (though if I ever got into tapping, I'd probably want something that would fit in with Baudin's collection). I'd actually probably be perfectly happy with an 8-string and a Whammy pedal (the past few months I've been finding myself hungering for more low AND high range :scream:). Then again, I can't say before I get there that I won't toy with it, get used to it, and want more. :shrug:

DelfinoPie

Whoopsie Daisy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm definitely willing to try one and I know I'll get one eventually...I'll cave in to peer-pressure like all the cool kids. But until that time I'll just have to wait and see. I can't remember who it was off this board that has the LGM custom 8 in the flourescent green but that is a dream.:metal:

Allen Garrow

Famous Beaver Hunter
Reaction score
lol,,, I'm going to wait until all the people who buy first round put em up for sale at half the price...lol. I would love to have one, more for the novelty of it. However that is sort of how I ended up stuck on 7's though.

~A

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
I would probably try out an 8 at some point. I'm gonna be short some cash unless I work during the summer, but I'll try out an 8 at least.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score

I'm a shit guitarist, so I.m only getting an 8 so i can play even lower and cover my shitty playing skills with 5Hz subharmonics. :lol:

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a shit guitarist, so I.m only getting an 8 so i can play even lower and cover my shitty playing skills with 5Hz subharmonics. :lol:

:rofl: Volume is always an acceptable substitute for talent. :shred:

RGGR

Reaction score
With all the seven I have in the works......I simply had to start a fanned-8 project. :hbang:

Cool711

Reaction score
In the process of having my 8 built.

I originally bought the 7 to tune to high A, but it didn't work.
And now I've gotten used to the low B and like it, so the 8 is the next logical option for me.

My hands are really very small, and my fingers are short so playing a 6 and having a stretch of 1-6 was a problem. The width of the board was another challenge.

But I look at it like this: I'm enough of a don't-care-noob to not bother with the fact that it may be too wide for me and just keep plugging away at it until I can play it. Worked for the 7.

And obviously it is going to be fanned. The high A on a thin string (0.07 or less) wouldn't sound right to me, as I like nice blues bends which are heaven with thicker strings.

So I'm hoping to use either an 0.08 or 0.09 for the high A, tuned half-step down.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
In the process of having my 8 built.

I originally bought the 7 to tune to high A, but it didn't work.
And now I've gotten used to the low B and like it, so the 8 is the next logical option for me.

My hands are really very small, and my fingers are short so playing a 6 and having a stretch of 1-6 was a problem. The width of the board was another challenge.

But I look at it like this: I'm enough of a don't-care-noob to not bother with the fact that it may be too wide for me and just keep plugging away at it until I can play it. Worked for the 7.

And obviously it is going to be fanned. The high A on a thin string (0.07 or less) wouldn't sound right to me, as I like nice blues bends which are heaven with thicker strings.

So I'm hoping to use either an 0.08 or 0.09 for the high A, tuned half-step down.
Have you heard of Gary Goodman? He's a member of this site who's developed a string that can handle the high A at normal scales. YOu may want to send him a PM about it sometime. :yesway:

Cool711

Reaction score
Yeah I did.
I contacted Gary and he said he'd let me know.
I'm anxious to try, but I already know what the 0.08 sounds like, and it's a bit too thin for me.
Still, I'm gonna give it a shot.
Thanks for the heads up though.

')