So I accidentally converted my humbucker into a single coil...

Ror

Reaction score
So I was bored last night and I was screwing with the electronics in my Ibanez Gio, and I accidentally ripped the wires off one of the coils in my neck pickup. It was late, and I didn't feel like firing up the soldering gun, so instead I just taped the two wires together with some electrical tape to complete the circuit. So now my Gio has a single coil neck pickup. IMHO I think it sounds better than it did before (still doesn't sound good, but better than it did :lol:). Pictures:

DSC01433.jpg

DSC01434.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Ah man! Bummer. Yeah, pickup wires are very fragile. At least you think it sounds better so ... happy accident! ;)

muffinbutton

knows the muffin man
Reaction score
I saw "accidentally" in the luthier section and though pondman built another guitar.

Ror

Reaction score
Ah man! Bummer. Yeah, pickup wires are very fragile. At least you think it sounds better so ... happy accident! ;)

Well I have the equipment and know-how to fix it, I was just lazy, haha

Serratus

Reaction score
For the LED guitar in my Avatar pic I did a similar thing - I stripped all the wire from one of the coils of the neck pickup and glued in some blue LEDs that shined across the front of the guitar. But I left the other coil alone so the pickup still worked as a single coil - sounded alright imho